Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-04-2019, 7:06 PM Reply   
Does anyone have lights, audio and video integrated into a single system? What did you use and pros cons? Getting ready to build a custom house and want a multi zone audio system, alarm, security system as well as lighting control temp control etc in one unit but not sure where to start or what to expect cost wise
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-05-2019, 2:56 AM Reply   
I've done a fair amount of Homekit stuff. If you want to get really fancy (and spend $$$) you can go with control4 and the "big boys" - then there are some inbetween options depending on how diy you want to get. I'd go to avsforum.com and dig into the subforum there...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2019, 4:56 AM Reply   
I wired our family's lake house is wired for 9 pairs of speakers and 3 single speakers (dual voice coils) in the bathrooms. The receivers are all from Russound, speakers from Proficient. It's not integrated with the rest of the house. It's also about 10 years old now so it was before a lot of the newer automation options were around....except for Control4 but we didn't feel we needed to go that far.

Of course with the newer technology our alarm and all of the radiant heating controls are able to be controlled remotely which is nice as this time of year it will take about 24hrs to bring the radiant up to temp. We do have the ability to upgrade the lighting if we wanted as well. We have the ability to set multiple scene's which then brightens or dims different lights as programmed.

You need to have a main comm room where everything runs back too. Depending on the size of the house I would wire all of the outside for security cameras and for 1-2 WiFi access points. Cat5e/6 cable is cheap so run it everywhere. The more you can hardwire the less taxing it will be on your wireless system. Today, that would then be your fridge, stove, dishwasher, TV locations, Control4 or other wall controls all usually use Cat5e as well.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2019, 5:32 AM Reply   
Great timing -- I am also building a custom home and looking into automation. I have heard Control4 is good and the Yamaha system for audio. I am also looking at all the stuff on Alarm.com. I am being told Control4 is way more then what I need. We are hard wiring every door, window, WAPS, cameras etc. Everything we can hard wire, we are. That'll allow some flexibility. I am pulling to a closet for DVR, cameras, internet, automation, etc.. I am hoping to get down to just a few apps instead of like 15 to run everything. Control4 is pretty awesome but very costly,
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       11-07-2019, 11:21 AM Reply   
Do the newer security cameras do power over Cat5 or do you have to run separate wire? We use industrial cameras for other tasks that are GIGe cameras that can use power over ethernet (POE). Usually you have to have a converter on a ethernet switch to use it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-07-2019, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHoosier View Post
Do the newer security cameras do power over Cat5 or do you have to run separate wire? We use industrial cameras for other tasks that are GIGe cameras that can use power over ethernet (POE). Usually you have to have a converter on a ethernet switch to use it.
There are lots of POE home camera setups. Most consumer NVRs have POE ports, and if you don't want to or can't pull your camera cables all the way back to the NVR, you can tie into a home network with a POE switch.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-07-2019, 12:10 PM Reply   
Old style cameras used a coax cable. All newer IP cameras run on Cat5e/6/6e rated cable. As mentioned the newer NVR's have POE network ports plugs built in quite often. If not then you either need a POE switch or use injectors (power supplies).
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-13-2019, 8:33 AM Reply   
I use control 4 for most of my home automation, but it’s expensive. Every component is overpriced….just thinking about the cost of the remotes pisses me off. But at the end of the day it works…flawlessly. I went “cheap” per se on my audio (after the control 4 pricing)….b/c it simple, effective and works…all my house/outdoor audio is sonos. My one piece of advice…hardwire everything you can into your network. (TV’s audio, desktops, ect). One of the good things about Sonos is it can create its own dedicated wireless network. I highly recommend hardwiring in as many sonso components as possible too. I ran into huge issues early on thinking all my wireless products would function normally being wireless. They don’t.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2019, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
I use control 4 for most of my home automation, but it’s expensive. Every component is overpriced….just thinking about the cost of the remotes pisses me off. But at the end of the day it works…flawlessly. I went “cheap” per se on my audio (after the control 4 pricing)….b/c it simple, effective and works…all my house/outdoor audio is sonos. My one piece of advice…hardwire everything you can into your network. (TV’s audio, desktops, ect). One of the good things about Sonos is it can create its own dedicated wireless network. I highly recommend hardwiring in as many sonso components as possible too. I ran into huge issues early on thinking all my wireless products would function normally being wireless. They don’t.
what all did you automate/intigrate into control4? part of the equation i'm unsure of is how much actually needs to be in one spot. security cameras would be nice but not sure it needs to be in there. Alarm, lighting, tv, climate seem logical.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2019, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
what all did you automate/intigrate into control4? part of the equation i'm unsure of is how much actually needs to be in one spot. security cameras would be nice but not sure it needs to be in there. Alarm, lighting, tv, climate seem logical.
Lights, TV/Cable, Fans, window shades, climate, house audio, garage doors openers and security. Everything is in one spot with the exception of the sonos equipment.Its spread through out the house. I have a small theater room as well and that equipment is in another closet near the room.

But honestly.....i fell like it was a waste of money (all in mid 5 figures ..install/equipment, ect. ). it makes you super lazy....in my next house...i'm going ot be ok getting up to trun off lights and fans ( which stay on 99% of the time anyway) . I lived 41 years w/o control 4. lol.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-20-2019, 6:56 AM Reply   
Yhea I am trying to hardware alarm, cameras, home audio, wap's to avoid as much wireless stuff as I can. I have heard great things about sonos and yahma for audio as their apps and solutions are very good.

I am planning on all smart switches throughout, and sonos for audio. I have 4K wired cameras that match my other properties and they are very high end, but work incredibly well. Then some form of alarm.com for security and integration.

Would love to have it all on one app or system, but dont think the $$$ is work it to go to control4 system.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:23 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us