Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-08-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Title says it all. Here's the link http://youtu.be/a6L0REnrTFE

Board has the tail fin removed, but still has the 2 in on the rails.

Thanks!
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-09-2015, 3:05 AM Reply   
Me too same thing.
Yours at least was a 360...
Only thing I can see is starting more down in the flats?
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-09-2015, 6:22 AM Reply   
Yeah, you gotta tweak the fin setup and find one that lets the tail release, yet not be too slippery. A friend of mine recently recommended that I shift my weight to my back foot towards end of rotation to engage the fins again and get it to track straight. Guess I'll try that next time!

I think you're right as to my starting point for the maneuver, that may help me get the 360 completed in the wave vs on top of it.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
You do not need to start in the flats. Your first problem is you are trying to do a surface style 360 or a skim style 360 on a surf style board.

Secondly, you never rotate your head or your shoulders and are hunched over like a gorilla, dragging your arms.

Keep your head up and look back at the boat not the board.

Rotate the board around with your legs and rotate your shoulders and head, once in the 270 position start thinking about catching the wake again and start pumping into it.

Nick
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-09-2015, 11:27 AM Reply   
Practice... You'll get it...

That looks like the Trinity..

Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-09-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
Hi Nick - Thanks for your input (BTW, I'll be calling you for a board soon).

Can you provide more detail about this statement you made:
"you are trying to do a surface style 360 or a skim style 360 on a surf style board."

Thanks Nick.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-09-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
No worries, Tre. So in the video you can see how the board remains on plane, that is the nose isn't lifted up or turned up in to the wake. This is a surface 360, and with a board of this volume and where he is positioned, he will just be pushed back over the wake. A surf style 360 is driven by the back foot. You want to press on the back foot and drive the fins around. He would also do well by being further back in the wake. The rider is too close to the boat, so it is all lift, and he is just pushed back and over when he stalls all his forward momentum into the spin. I just read all the comments, and I believe some of this is consistent with what a friend has recommended.

Nick

Last edited by Chaos; 09-09-2015 at 1:43 PM. Reason: sp.
Old     (flee27)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-14-2015, 5:19 AM Reply   
can anyone post a video of the correct way breaking down what you are trying to describe. Maybe one of a skim style 360 and one with a surf style 360.

trying to get the 360 like a lot of you.

Thanks
Foster
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-14-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help!

One other idea that came from an ocean surfer friend of mine, he says I should swap out the fins with some FCS fins that will help give me some drive to help recover after the spin. The stock ronix coal fins are symmetrical (not flat on the inside) so they won't help drive at all. Anyone upgraded their stock fins? If so, what works best for wake surfing?
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-14-2015, 3:47 PM Reply   
Also, if anyone does use surf fins, based on my weight on an ocean board, I would use FCS large fins. However, I have never seen a wake surfboard with that long of fins! So do you go one or 2 sizes down to a small or medium? Thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2015, 4:36 PM Reply   
That is true and not true. Yes, real surf fins or good wakesurf fins are vastly superior to the silly plastic fins that ronix provides with the board. Nevertheless, the fins still drive or have lift which translates to drive. It isn't the fact that they are symmetrical, but they just aren't good. Lot's of surfboards are designed with symmetrical fins, there are pluses and minuses depending on what you want to achieve. In small waves like behind the boat, a vectored or inside foils tends to be the best for generating speed. I usually recommend PC2 through PC5 (or similar) depending on peoples weight, whether they are riding twin, thruster or quad. The V2 PC is actually the best two tab template for wakesurfing FCS has. It is roughly the Kfin (kelly fin) and it is upright and pivoty, what you want in a wakesurf fin.

I would recommend my fins but I do not make a two tab version, because I like the Futures base much better.
http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurffin...-vectored-foil

I am an FCS dealer, and have some fcs fins in stock if you need some.

You can also look at Komunity Project (Kelly Slater's company). I am a Komunity Project product dealer as well.

Nick

Last edited by Chaos; 09-15-2015 at 4:38 PM. Reason: sp.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-16-2015, 6:24 AM Reply   
I have some medium k-flex fins. They are huge, but maybe I should try them for the hell of it!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
Might seem huge, but a 4.4-4.6" height fin is what many or most wakesurfers use.

Nick
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-16-2015, 4:49 PM Reply   
You ever figure it out?

I am in the same position where I can usually complete the 360, but loose the wake after I come around. I'm riding a 58in Liquid Force Doum Skim style board. It's only got a single fin, so I wonder if switching it out would help me?

Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-16-2015, 8:58 PM Reply   
I wonder why the basic wakesurf boards come with such short and ****ty fins!

I hope to try my other fins out and some of these techniques this weekend!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-18-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
Ryan, your issue is a different beast to tackle. You are riding a skim board. You want to get your center of gravity as low as possible, and centered over the board, then spin or rotate the board, usually with a lot of help from your hand in the wake. You need to stop your spin, and re-establish the edge of the board in the wake to send it and you falling back towards the boat. It is about position you do not want to be too close to the boat or too far back, you will need forward momentum at first, but once you get the hang of it on a skim, the forward momentum is less important. Stay down in the spin, do not just pop up when you think the rotation is complete. As you are coming around out of the rotation, put pressure toe side in and pressure on the front foot to push the nose down into the wake.

It is not the fin, the fin is just for tracking on a skim board. You ride the rail edge on a skim board.

Hope that helps, Nick
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-22-2015, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Ryan, your issue is a different beast to tackle. You are riding a skim board. You want to get your center of gravity as low as possible, and centered over the board, then spin or rotate the board, usually with a lot of help from your hand in the wake. You need to stop your spin, and re-establish the edge of the board in the wake to send it and you falling back towards the boat. It is about position you do not want to be too close to the boat or too far back, you will need forward momentum at first, but once you get the hang of it on a skim, the forward momentum is less important. Stay down in the spin, do not just pop up when you think the rotation is complete. As you are coming around out of the rotation, put pressure toe side in and pressure on the front foot to push the nose down into the wake.

It is not the fin, the fin is just for tracking on a skim board. You ride the rail edge on a skim board.

Hope that helps, Nick
Just adding that standing too soon continues the rotation and makes it harder to stop.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-01-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I still haven't spun and stayed up with the wake, but I believe I am standing before I even complete the rotation so this knowledge should help.

Looks like we are getting a little more warm weather in the Northwest this Sunday/Monday so I'll get to try it out.

I also have a Hyperlite Landlock surf style board. It is so large it is easy to get up/go ropeless for the first time, but it seems impossible to get it to spin. I may try taking off the center fin and see if I can rotate it. If I could spin on this board I'm pretty sure I could catch back up with the wake after rotation.
Old     (xcz504d)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-05-2015, 9:45 PM Reply   
1) WEAR A LIFE VEST, 36 seconds into this can happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7SZ2WQceo
2) Wear a ****ing life vest, zero reason not to wear one.

Other than you being unnecessarily unsafe and encouraging that same behavior to others for internet style points, your rotation is clean, you are hucking yourself up the wake. If you are going to huck yourself up the wake (throw your momentum up the face while breaking traction) you need to do it slower, think two 180's, turn up the face and continue backwards and turn back around as you drift back down the wave face. Both attempts you turned up the wake and started to spin at the top causing your momentum to drift up and over, the second attempt you were way to close to the back of the boat and drifted over the shallow part of the wake.

Watch his second trick, he breaks the 360 into two 180's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcsJHhijBU

Or, don't turn up the face of the wake, get momentum forward by pumping, and rotate in the flats, you need a solid toe edge without going up the wake face to do this on a surf style board.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-04-2016, 9:05 PM Reply   
Bumping this for the +1 on the life vest. Too much bull**** can happen behind a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcz504d View Post
1) WEAR A LIFE VEST, 36 seconds into this can happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7SZ2WQceo
2) Wear a ****ing life vest, zero reason not to wear one.

Other than you being unnecessarily unsafe and encouraging that same behavior to others for internet style points, your rotation is clean, you are hucking yourself up the wake. If you are going to huck yourself up the wake (throw your momentum up the face while breaking traction) you need to do it slower, think two 180's, turn up the face and continue backwards and turn back around as you drift back down the wave face. Both attempts you turned up the wake and started to spin at the top causing your momentum to drift up and over, the second attempt you were way to close to the back of the boat and drifted over the shallow part of the wake.

Watch his second trick, he breaks the 360 into two 180's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcsJHhijBU

Or, don't turn up the face of the wake, get momentum forward by pumping, and rotate in the flats, you need a solid toe edge without going up the wake face to do this on a surf style board.