Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BuckleNation)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-05-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNEo_PI0pU

I have only been wakeboarding since April 11th of this year so be kind. All my learning so far has come from you tube videos. I am really wanting to know what I need to do to get my pop into the air. I am riding at 20.4 MPH. and my rope has two links let out. First jump is kind of sad.... sorry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BuckleNation; 06-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-05-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
Stand tall when you hit the wake. 20.4 is a bit slow. You might try speeding up a bit. When you do, you'll most likely need to let the rope out some.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
Learn a progressive edge: as you cut into the wake in your head label how hard you are cutting with a number from 1 to 5, 1 easy 5 hard. You should be cutting a 1 as you turn in, a 5 at the crest of the wake. As you get comfortable with the tech a good drill is to reduce how far you cut out and see what the shortest approach is and still go wake to wake. A short aggressive approach which cuts up the wake translates to high wake to wake pop.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-05-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Your legs are bent at the top of the wake,therefore the energy from the wake is being absorbed by your legs like a shock absorber.Try this next time out,start about 3~5feet from the wake and cut into it with your legs straight and stiff and stay that way all the way through the crest of the wake and you will see that even with that short approach you will get a nice pop off the wake.Just search for how to wakeboard videos on the web,there are plenty of vids out there that show this.Good luck!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf8...eature=related
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
If you have the funds available, sign up for LearnWake.com. anytime I am having trouble with a trick I post a video of my issue over there and Kyle Schmidt will critique it for you. Definitely worth the $10 a month.
Old     (BuckleNation)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-05-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Thanks that is all great information and a great video!!
Old     (BuckleNation)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-05-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Just watched my video again. The comment about absorbing the wake makes so much sense. I can even see it in my knees. thanks for all the comments. I will be back on the water tomorrow after work, this gives me a great starting point for what I need to work on.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
The technique involves tightening your quads and glutes. Also pushing your chest up to the sky.By tightening your quads you straighten your legs out,by tightening your glutes you are pushing your hips forward and belly forward and by pushing your chest to the sky you are mimicking jumping on a trampoline.You get the best reaction with a stiff body to resist the force of the wake pushing you up.Your edge increases your force against the water.You want that maximum force going through the wake.SO approach easy and increase edge in the trough and through the wake.Good Luck!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-06-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
Thomas, also pull that bar hard into your hips, you will definitely get more height, because your arms are almost completely extended right when you come off the wake-losing a lot of energy there!

Last edited by joeshmoe; 06-06-2012 at 7:10 AM. Reason: spell check
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-06-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
I would not speed the boat up. 20.4 is plenty fast for someone new. Not to mention some boats' perfect pass isn't calibrated right and 20.4 could be 22 or something. Also make sure to use the shortest rope you can. Preferably 60' or less. This makes clearing the wake nice and easy too. Everyone's tips sound pretty good. I certainly agree with Darren as far as counting from 1 to 5 in terms of edging harder and harder as you close in on the wake. Keep that handle lower and close to your hips too. Try not going out so far to edge in. With a 60' rope all you need is a hard edge for 4 ft and you can clear that wake with a good pop. Not going out as far makes you edge harder.

A good way to think about this is: A short hard progressive edge will pop you higher than a long wide approach with hardly any edging.
Old     (BuckleNation)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-06-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone!
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Kerry I agree with almost everything you said.

Quote:
A short hard progressive edge will pop you higher than a long wide approach with hardly any edging.
However this is in direct contradiction to LearnWake Jump Variations video. With the right technique you can get the same pop up with a slow wide approach with less line tension than the short approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf840HZE4
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
The problem for us noobs with a short approach and hard legs is that the leg strength needs to be built up. It can also be intimidating to put that much leg into it. Lastly, you don't get much time to setup for the jump. Takes time to get there, but as learn wake stated, you need to be able to do all variations and not just one way.

My 2 cents
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-06-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
touche!