Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (mikemoti)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
How heavy a boat can you tow with a BMW X5 V6?
I would like to tow a 5000lbs. boat if possible.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
that should be possible, tow it youll find out very fast...
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
I a friend that hauls his Tige 22v with his no problem.s
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Not like it makes any differance but Is the X5 a V6 or a straight 6
Old     (mikested)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-16-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Mike,

What year X5 do you have? I have the 2001 which is rated to 5000 but the 2004 and up is 6000 for the 6. I have pulled to FL and back to CT towing about 4000 pounds no problem.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-17-2007, 3:45 AM Reply   
Well, I've seen an X5 with a 32' triple axle boat trailer behind it sitting at our local ramp. Note that I didn't see the boat on it plus that may have been a little much for it.

I'm suspect the X5 has more than enough power to tow a 5K load. The only question would be how much handling would be affected with that load, and I'm suspect you'd be fine.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
best remedy 1.)Consult to owners manual. 2.)Contact dealer... 3.)Go to dealership and hook up boat to see how it drivers
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-17-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
I had an X with the big motor, and I wouldn't have towed my boat with it unless it was an emergency. The brakes were great, but spendy to replace, and you will replace them regularly if you're towing your boat.

G, all BMW 6's are straight 6.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
Never say never, but I think it's pretty safe to say that as long as BMWs are rear-wheel drive, they'll have inline 6s. I've never owned the X5 myself but I believe Shawn about the brakes. I've owned 2 BMW sedans and both had phenominal braking but ate breaks up with just normal driving (mostly highway). I'd hate to see what towing would do to them.

I do know that a mid-80's 633CSI will tow about a 20' ski boat (one of the 80's model closed bow Ski somethings). I had a neighbor who used to tow with it but that was back when we only lived about 5 miles from the boat ramp. He didn't even have to get on the highway but did have to travel down a particularly winding road.
Old     (mikemoti)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
My bad I meant to say straight 6. I am looking to get the supra 22ssv and wanted to make sure the X5 can tow it.
Old     (senna1)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
Who are these posers posting in this thread? This is WakeWorld and we are tow Nazis who know that a 3/4 ton diesel is the minimum acceptable tow rig!

Seriously though, one thing to remember with the manufacturer's tow ratings is that these are calculated with one 150 lb. driver in the vehicle and that's it. Any extra passengers and gear need to be subtracted from the tow rating. Also, don't forget about a full tank of gas in the boat. 50 gallons is 350 lbs.

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like you're right at the X5's limit with just the boat and trailer but you'll be over when everything is loaded up in the real world.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
An X5 could tow it, but a 3/4 ton diesel would be way better.

Ha, ha, ha..... You feel better now Malcolm?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-17-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
nobody is saying go heavy duty, because it is about status (loosely translated as expense). the only reason people consider an king ranch, f250 superduty powerstroke as a good daily driver is because it is $50k truck...a status symbol. slap a 6k lb tow rating on any status symbol pickup/SUV and people will be quick to say it will be a good tow vehicle.

for what it is worth, my last three tow vehicles (in order) were a 2000 Z71 sierra 1500 (5.3L, 8500lb tow rating), 04 Nissan Armada 4x4 (9200lb tow rating), and now an 06 grand cherokee overland (7200lb tow rating). the sierra did fine, but the armadas self leveling suspension and transmission gearing would spank the sierra. the grand cherokee's 5.7L is similarly powered to the armada's 5.6L, but again, the transmission gearing makes it feel lazy. the only reason i bring up that comparison is that there is WAY more to consider than just power...heck, any of us could push our trailer across flat ground with less than one horsepower. then try to stop it, that is way harder... a vehicles tow rating is based more on its ability to safely slow a load than it is to accelerate a load...

anyhow, when i got my grand cherokee, i had to install airbags in the rear because the boat (06 SAN 220...@ 6500 lbs w/ gas, lead, gear, trailer) would push the truck all over the road. it was down right scary, especially braking! the airbags make the grand cherokee feel as confident as my sierra did, and it has more power.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
tdc,

I agree with everything you said about towing except that 'the only reason people consider a King Ranch F250 Powerstroke as a daily driver is because it is a $50K truck... a status symbol". I know there are some people who do that, but there are also people that want the luxury of a luxury sedan with the utility of a truck. I myself drove a 05' F250 diesel KR 4x4 all over the Yukon last year and enjoyed the combination of luxury and ultility. I don't think anyone up there noticed or would have cared about my fancy leather seats.

I think your point makes more sense if it were referring to an Escalade.