Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
In the past couple of days I've had the chance to watch some reasonably good riders from the boat. They are able to land tricks such as inverts, 7s, crow mobes etc.

I've noticed a couple of things. Firstly, when starting an edge before a jump they hold the handle with one hand and then after beginning the edge they then crank the edge down much harder and bring their other hand to the handle in an over arm throw type of movement? What is the purpose/reason to this? And should I be doing it?

Secondly, I always thought a progressive edge was supposed to be gradually building the edge as you approach the wake. They seem to start the edge, then after beginning the edge really crank it down a notch before continuing to build the edge from that before hitting the wake. So the maximal edge is still at the wake, but they really crank it down after starting it slow, whereas I kind of gradually build my edge in a linear sort of fashion. What is better? Does it matter so long as your maximal edge is at the wake? Will I get more height if I follow their example so that I hit the wake edging harder?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-13-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
1.) The first half of your approach doesn't mater much. One hand or two hands doesn't matter much for an advanced rider because there is not much tension on the line. As a developing rider stick to two for now. You will develop your "style" later.

2.) Very similar advice. Depending on the trick, and even the style of the advanced rider, approaches can be long and smooth or narrow and intense. For wake jumps and most of your fundamentals it is best to practice a smooth, controlled edge that starts easily and finishes in a strong tug-o-war position (progressive edge).

Bonus.) Take care in observing the pros ride. Most have many years of experience and "bad" habits that work well for them, but not your average rider. Take a look at Danny Harf's toe side approach--super weird, but it definitely works for him.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-13-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
Yep, sounds like both of those things are style issues.
Old     (jabilitator)      Join Date: Dec 2010       07-13-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
It's a comfort thing. The more comfortable you are with your riding relates to the more relaxed/aggressive you'll be in your movements. Emulate the things other riders do all you want, but don't overthink it. Does that make any sense? Those guys are using one hand in that situation because they are comfortable, there isn't a reason to do it that would make you a better wakeboarder. I ride with a guy who does this. You can tell he's thinking more about dropping and replacing his hand than the cut he's about to make into the wake. I don't want to sound like a douche, but it shows in his riding. That's overthinking, ride and have fun, worry about how you look after you've got something locked in.
As far as their edging? They are still using a progressive edge, only more aggressive. You said it your self: start the edge, crank down, speed into the wake. It's the same concept as taking a gradual and linear edge, but from what you described its balls to the wall. Do what your comfortable with and go from there.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
this video talks about different ways to edge and hit the wake. might find it usefull
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ariations.html
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
1 hand then 2 hands is a style thing but honestly I think it's better to always have 2 hands on the handle....more control; especially when coming into wake and landing.

Secondly, they may be loading the line more aggressively than you. It's all about a progressive cut, yet for some tricks they need to load the line more than others tricks. So that is why you may see the difference in your progressive cut versus theirs.

Hope that makes sense.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-14-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Take a look at Danny Harf's toe side approach--super weird, but it definitely works for him.
looks like he is takinga Dump and not edgig at all, then some home he explodes off the wake!