Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
the standard speakers that came on my 2004 Supra Launch LTS appear to be of very low quality. Lightweight magnet, short throw woofer, not there tweeter, etc, etc.

I'm thinking about popping some new speakers in the four speaker spots. I measured the speaker. It's 6 1/4" from one screw hole to another, and just a shade over a five inch hole into the panel.

I've been to Crutchfield.com and they have a bunch of 6 1/2" car speakers. Most have polymer woofer and butyl rubber suspension. I would suspect this would work as well as any "marine" speaker. What do you guys think? I'm looking at getting four Polk DB650s. They sure look nicer than those cheap plastic thingies I now have. See attached JPEG.

Will car speakers work OK in a boat as long as minimal water gets thrown on the speaker?

thanks for the assistance.
polk speakers
Old    powaman            04-16-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Yup the most important part is that the speaker has a "plastic" cone, not a paper one, if it does, your fine.
Old     (mikeh)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-16-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
I installed 6-1/2 Apline SPR-174 in my boat and they sound great. The marine environment is no problem for these speakers. Several other friends have installed these in theirs as well and all have been very satisfied.
Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-16-2005, 11:10 PM Reply   
I did the same thing in my 03 Centurian. I went with Kicker KX60's (I think that is the model #.) They sound great and they are also marine friendly.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       04-17-2005, 4:58 AM Reply   
i put some rockford fosgate punch series from best buy in mine. the cool thing is that with the warranty if they get wet & dont work-- i get new ones for free!!
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
I have those polks in my boat and in my tower cans. They have been rained on, hailed on, beer spilled on them.... Just wipe them off and go!
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-17-2005, 10:34 PM Reply   
Also I ordered my Malibu without speakers and put the Spektrum Audio that Boss Towers had developed for all of their cans. I put them in the side of the 23 LSV and they have the option of putting 2, yes 2 tweeters to each of their mids. Of course I did this and put 1 firing forward and the other one back. It sounds pretty amazing and does not require more power, also sounds like their are more speakers especially filling in the base with the 15"
Old     (scottie4421)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-18-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
John,

I just installed 4 DB650s in my boat. I'm pushing them with a Diamond Audio D3 3400.4. They sound really really good and they're really really loud.

Polk was running a buy 1 pair, get 1 pair free special on them, but I'm not sure if it's still on. If so, head over to Circuit City, they carry them. Otherwise, check out www.frys.com. I bought mine there for 89 per set.

I found the Diamond amp on ubid.com for 139 bucks. It came in the box, sealed.

Here are a couple of pics: