Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    bross            02-11-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
In your opinon, what are the best tower speakers on the market as well as board racks? Price is not a concern for me...I simply want the best. If you have pictures...please post.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
NVS 1010's tower speakers
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
http://nvs1.net/
Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Lightning Accessories
Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   

Old     (calabria_man)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Brian,

Asking which tower speaker is best is almost like asking which girls are the prettiest.

Do you mean from the riders point or from the platform?

My tower speakers pretty much only come on when there is a rider so my vote goes for NVS (considering price is no object). If your more interested in the sound from your sun deck or swim platform then something like the Lightnings (or any other car speaker in a can) may work well for your requirements. See the NVS website for pix www.nvs1.net.

Until there are specific criteria set and boat stereo competitions, there is not a clear "best" out there.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
would give the nod to nvs AND skylon defcon reference iv & v..

keep in mind you are going to need a serious amp to drive either one (at least a zapco 750. 1000 or a couple 500 m's)
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-11-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
We have really enjoyed our Fluid Concepts speakers. Great sound, lightweight, and they look great.

Check them out at www.fluidconcepts.net
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-12-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Best? Hard to say. Pretty individual. Best is to listen to some and see what YOU really like. Personally, I have to give my nod to Skylon, at least for me. I went with the Defcon Reference 4's on my tower. For me that is going to be a HUGE upgrade from what I am use to, and I am sure I probably won't need anything more on the tower. They are going to scream! If I do need more in the future, I would probably put one Defcon 5 in the middle. That should do it.

NVS is probably the most talked about, and most popular (large, loudest, best) speaker on this board. They have a huge following here, and everywhere on the water. They are also a great company to work with.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-12-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
skylon batracks
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-13-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
NVS if you have the $$... super subjective question tho.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-13-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
I think we need a sound off between the NVS Entity and the Skylon Deafcon IV and V Reference. I know it will be a very close competition, but a sound off would be great.

Image Dynamics went all out when designing the pro audio components that went into the Reference series. They are said to handle upwards of 500 watts RMS per side at 2 ohm if the amplifier is clean enough. Wakeside will offer the Tru Technology amps in about a week or so so that we can get everything that the Deafcons can produce.

There is no other wakeboard tower speaker system on the market today that is even close to NVS and Skylon. It may boil down to the style that you like if you want performance in this category.

Mike
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-13-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
Brian,

I forgot to mention the wakeboard racks and the images for both.

We are a little biased on the best wakeboard racks because we designed the Wakeside Battle Rack through our own Wakeside Design Studio. You may want to ask what others think about the 100% chrome Battle Rack. We have a pair on our demo boat and they are very easy to maintain being all chrome.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/titan_wakeboard_racks/wakeside_battle_rack

Wakeside Battle Rack

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/skylon_wakeboard_tower_speakers/skylon_deafcon_v_ac112g5

Skylon Deafcon V Reference

Mike
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-14-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
the battle racks look great new but the chrome will peel fast as I found out. The rubber also peels back easily. I have not been happy!
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
I would really like to hear both the NVS and the Skylons. Problem is that no one in the area carrys either one. My opinion that the NVS are the best is based on everyones response.But now that I know that the Skylons use Image Dynamics I am very excited to hear both. I have used Image Dynamics in the past for caraudio competion and have been very pleased with there capabilites.

Neil
litupelectronics.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-14-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
neil, don't know how far colleyville is from Dallas , but there is a guy in dallas w/ a blue x-star w/ the NVS and I have them down in Houston. May take a while before the Skylon's make it down this way.
Old    bross            02-14-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
I saw wakeside had the Fusion Speakers on clearance. How are they???
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
"I think we need a sound off between the NVS Entity and the Skylon Deafcon IV and V Reference. I know it will be a very close competition, but a sound off would be great."

Count me in as the NVS user for the sound off! I've got more than 300 hours on my Entity 1010s, with quite a few hours of fine tuning. Only one condition though, it has to be tower speakers only, because the rest of my boat stereo is WEAK! (four Sony Xplod 6.5", and an Xplod 10" from Best Buy)

Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
I just purchased a pair of NVS Entity 1010s, and they're ridiculous. In my best attempt to remain objective, my boy has a pair of deafcons on his nautique, and, after riding with me several weeks ago, his deafcons are going up for sale. Don't get me wrong, the deafcons rock; however, the NVSs are simply righteous.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
Andre,

Which Skylon Deafcons are on the Nautique. The Deafcon IV and V Reference series has only been shipping for one week. The 2005 line is completely new and is based on horn technology (HLCD) from Image Dynamics. If you are talking about the 2004 Deafcon line, then I agree that there is no comparison. I think the new Deafcon V will compete quite well against the NVS. That is why I recommended a sound-off competition so that we know.
Old    sebastian            02-14-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
I have boss but I would go with the NVS by far.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-14-2005, 9:37 PM Reply   
Three words for the speakers you need.

N V S

OK, Letters.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-14-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Heck, I have 12 radio shack 4" dual cone speakers mounted on my tower with zip ties that will blow away all that overpriced NVS and Skylon stuff. Until you guys put your money where your mouth is and sponsor a speaker challenge you can't prove me otherwise

Are you listening Duane, wakeside Mike? Put up a $500 prize for the winning boat. Hell, I will throw a hundie into the prize purse and I am a tightwad. I am sure Lost Isle would love to host such an event, maybe something in the May timeframe if not earlier? Break out the db meters, let's get some answers!

Judging criteria suggestions:
Best vocals at 80'
Most midrange/high db at 80'
Most bass at 80'
Best/cleanest guitar riff at 80'
Heck maybe even a little 1812 Overture at 80'?
Cleanest install
Most Bling
Best bang for the buck
Maybe a db drag at 80'

Let's put some systems through their paces and see of we can make some smoke.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
Monster Bill,

I'm surprised, you usually give us the engineer answer. What is with your N V S suggestion without knowing any of the facts? I too believe that the NVS system is great based on everything I read from people on this forum. However, you have have made a recommendation without knowing what the Skylon Deafcon V Reference can do.

I still recommend the sound-off, but we will need to work out the logistics. We are in Portland, OR and Duane in in Discovery Bay, CA. We need to pick a place where we can do this. I'm sure that Image Dynamics could provide all of the measurement systems to give us the results at 80'. My guess is that they will be close.

Mike
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2005, 11:13 PM Reply   
Jim Bogden,

You may not have known that the Wakeside Battle Rack may be covered under warranty if it is less than 12 months old. Titan manufacturers this rack and they stand behind all products that they manufacture. We have not had any claims to date regarding chrome on the Battlerack, so you may have received a defect.

Call the Wakeside number and talk to anyone who answers regarding your warranty claim.

1-866-925-3743
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-15-2005, 6:28 AM Reply   
Good point Mike, I guess it is habit becuase of all the comments from owners of NVS systems and people that have heard them, all have been very impressed with them. The new Skylon IV's and V's look really nice also. I'm sure by this summer there will be a lot of great feedback on them as well.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
to add a littel fuel to the fire.... Most of the best sound reproducing loudspeakers are used in "concert" settings. Based on personal research, Eminence has a large marketshare in the concet loudspeaker market. Not only do they produce there own brand but also custom speakers for other brands. While ID has a well-know/respect presence in the car audio market, I didn't know ID competed in the loudspeaker "concert" quality market? It's probably a safe bet that (insert famous band) has eminence on stage and ID in there car, not vice versa. With that said I'm anxious to see how both products stack up to each other.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
My NVS system is seriously loud! Come ride behind my boat. You have to hear it to believe it.

Thanks Duane!

(Message edited by jarrod on February 15, 2005)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Does anyone have the specs on the ID compression drivers/horn lens and the mid-bass drivers?

Mikeski,
Would the sound off be between the skylon V's and the 1010's? Is that fair. 10' drivers vs 8' drivers. If that's the case I'll put $100 on the 1010's who's takin the bets?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Guys,

You are missing the marketing opportunity. Why do you think there are car stereo contests? Way back when I was working at a local car stereo store that specialized in custom installations. There were a couple other stores claiming they did the best systems. The stereo contests were a big promotional opportunity for the stores to promote themselves. Some of the manufacturers sponsored the event but they didn't compete.

My recommendation is Lost Isle becuase it offers a good venue to have local guys bring their systems out and see how they stack up. It's a bar on the delta where they already have live shows to the noise should not be a problem. I am sure Duane, Grant, Myself, and some of the other wakeworld regulars here in the west would make a showing. It's about a 12 hour tow from Portland, but a tow that I would make for a promotional opportunity coupled with a weekend of good riding (tax rideoff?). If there is a good venue in the pacific northwest do one on your turf. I am sure somebody with a decent NVS system would make a showing.

Another venue would be boardstock.

The boat shows are really lousy venues to sell boat speakers.

My $100 goes to the owner of the winning boat, not the speaker manufacturer. That is the spirit of a contest. Save the rules, let's see how rediculous things can get.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-15-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Mikeski,

I think a boat sound contest will be really fun. I would like to see it somewhere halfway between Portland and Discovery Bay since we need to tow our demo boat. How about Lake Shasta?

Wakeside just purchased a 2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with the new Skylon Tribal tower. Jason and I are in the process of designing and building the sound system which includes the Skylon Deafcon V Reference. We are really excited about this project and we believe the system will compete very well, even against the 1010's.

I like the idea of combining the sound competition fun with some riding at Lake Shasta.

Jason at Wakeside will head up this event from our end. You should see him chime in on this forum thread shortly.

Mike
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-15-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   

Hey Mike - Sounds like a great idea I'm all for it, let me know if ya need some support from me to head this up.

Mike@wakeon.com

WWW.WAKEON.COM
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-15-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
So what do you guys think about a "run what ya brung" style contest so we can have a little fun with things?

We would still like to get quantatative measurements, say at 80' out and also in the boat, just to add some fun facts to the mix.

We're partial to Shasta, mainly because it would be fun to spend some time there if we're going to make the drive down. Additionally, it's pretty much half way between Portland and Disco Bay.

We'll keep you posted on what we come up with Racer #5 Team Rider , it would be fun to hook up and ride behind your white VLX.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-15-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
The only problem I see with Mikeski's format, is that it's a complete stereo contest. Hell, my boat only has ONE battery. You should see the volt meter drop when the boat is idling and the 1010s are at full volume!

Other than the Entitys, and the amp to run them, the rest of my system totals up to a whopping $400-$500 dollars.

I really couldn't care less about who has the loudest most expensive stereo. I don't like going deaf in the boat. I just want to see which tower speakers are the loudest/best at 23mph, 80 feet back!

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
Joe, that's exactly why we'd like to invite Image Dynamics (and/or another party if Duane would prefer) to bring some test gear up so we can get some cold hard facts!

Our main priority is to highlight these two awesome speaker systems, and to have a little fun along the way (plus, we're not putting much into the rest of our system either).

(Message edited by s4inor on February 15, 2005)
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
So what's the deal with this? Is anyone else interested in a weekend of riding and hanging out with a couple of sweet systems competing for the top spot?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-23-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Sounds cool. Too bad there aren't many systems in boats on the east coast. For people to do something similar here it would mean major driving.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2005, 2:45 PM Reply   
I just sent Lost Isle an e-mail to see if they will let us have the event there.

www.lostisle.com

It's a frequent and well known destination for most anybody that rides the delta.

Wakeside Mike,
I think Shasta is also a great venue if we can find a marina that will allow such an event (Lakeshore?). Since the Marina's essentially kicked boardstock off the lake I am not sure they would be ready to embrace a stereo "sound off"?
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
Jason we need to set up something for the people of Texas so the get a chance to hear the Skylons(and make sure they have the down firing LED's)

I figure since im an un-offical member of the skylon series already that I should get a chance to look and hear the new refrence series. And who better to throw the first DallasWakeSoundOff that will decide the winner of the best Tower speakers to date.

Lets make it happen, not that I dont have enough to do for you already but this would benifit all the riders in the area.

Neil
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-27-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
Neil,

We need to get GG involved in this TexasSoundOff. Any NVS systems out there yet?

Mike
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-01-2005, 6:38 AM Reply   
No NVS systems out here , well maybe a few but I've never seen one on the River were I ride at.

On a side note I would bet a hundo on the skylons only because I was around in the old school caraudio days were the Image Dynamics won every competion including the Iascia(sp) and Usac competions.

Well I'll go ahead and donate my VLX for testing and competion usage. but you have to make sure I get the blue downfiring blue LED's in my Deafcon setup
Old    whitechocolate            03-01-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
"Hyjack on"
you guys got this whole sound off thing backward's no one gives a "F" how loud your system is trust me. Why dont you put your energy into something everyone can get into a "Hotlady's" on the boat compition, now thats somthing everyone will show up for. Get Bill from Moster tower to get his lady's all over his Tige with his Evid tower speakers and Ill vote him for #1 boat stereo hands down. LOL!
"Hyjack off"
Neil: you cant afford the downfiring LED's
Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-01-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
let's call it the "Bring Your Biggest Cans" contest at lost isle, and let the chips fall where they may!!!