Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-08-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
We don't but starting to think we should ASK....We let them use a board, a life vest, have a good time. And we don't ask...we just HOPE people will chip in. I am taking a poll. What do you do? 2 out of 6 people chipped in the other day.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
Everytime we invite someone, we tell them to bring money for gas. We always make sure they know this before they ever leave their place.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
i dont ever ask for gas money. I tell them to bring a 5 gallon jug full of gas. No jug no getting in the boat. we store our boat at the launch so bring me money is worthless.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
A good hint is to say i need to fill up after were done.This way they can see how much fuel you use in a couple of hours.Most people that own a boat will chip in because they know how expensive it is to operate a boat.I personally don't ask for gas money,but i don't continue to invite moochers out to ride either.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-08-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
I don't ask but definitely appreciate it when they offer.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-08-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
depends on how you use your boat mainly... looks like you take out some non riders (judging by the fact you provide vest/board). When I have people out on my boat and its a "riding day", meaning we sac out the boat, all take sets, then were done... ya... they ALL chip in, never had to ask. As they have all been wake boat owners before and know the costs (fuel, maintinence, fixing stuff, slip fee, etc....)This is how I mainly use my boat... for riding. The times I do invite out my non riding friends, when we just cruise, float, and someone might "try" boarding... i dont expect nor ask for money.
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2011, 7:31 PM Reply   
Never have and don't think I ever will. We take people out for the enjoyment of the sport and lifestyle. You can tell who really wants to pay for gas and that is enough for me. I have found a few twenties in the boat after a day on the Delta though.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-08-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
We split between riding and hanging out/floating in party cove. Don't really ask for gas money, it's more understood. The offer is more important than the actual amount given.

- Females ride free
- Other boat owners, who's boat I might ride on are free.
- Dudes get their first time on the boat free, I won't ask for money after that, but moochers phone calls an texts will get screened more often.

I'm not gonna go broke if people don't pay. I'll still take the boat out just as much, but it's just polite to offer since I'm already taking care of buying the boat, winterization, storage, etc. The least a rider can do is throw a $20 to the owner.
Old    mojo            08-08-2011, 9:08 PM Reply   
5 gallons of 87 or 20$. First ride is free. If you don't chip in you sit yourself on a seat or stay home. If imcome ride with you I bring 5 gallons per set.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2011, 7:04 AM Reply   
I want to come ride with you guys. Out boats take a lot of gas (not to mention maintenance). I think it is an unwritten rule amongst all the guys I have ever rode with. It has been 10 years since someone did offer to pay for my gas or that I did not leave money. I have certainly turned down taking money, but not as a standard rule. Our sport is expensive. In the old days I would invite a guy out and if he didn't offer for gas and/or pull his weight with clean up and such, he just did'nt get the call back. Now a days I ride with people that understand how it all works.

One of the guys last night brought beer, ice and gas money. Still pulled his weight with clean up and such. I would do the same on his boat. It is a respect thing!
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-09-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
The way it works with my crew is we head to the gas station to fill up after the day. This way whatever we use is replaced and the boat is ready the next time we drag it out. When we ride its usually 3-4 guys wakeboarding and we usually finish with a few runs surfing. We typically burn through 20 - 30 gallons. In the past I would get stuck filling it up and just wouldn't call those people back. I don't accept money from friends that go to just hang out and not ride. Of course I never charge the ladies. On days where we just go cruise and head to the cove I cover the fuel because I just want people to roll with me. What I have started doing when the moochers call to ride is say " I'm down to ride as long as you can help cover some fuel. I'm tight on cash right now". If they don't get the hint after that then they can go buy their own boat.
Old     (goofyr44)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
It is definitley an unwritten rule. You give someone one chance to ride an not pay before you ask. If they dont chip in the first time you either don't invite them back or make sure to let them know the boat doesn't run on river water.

Last edited by goofyr44; 08-09-2011 at 7:36 AM.
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Never ask, always offer, usu take if there is no boat reciprocation. If you come out 2 times and never offer then its going to be along time before there is a third time.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-09-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
I do not ask for money or tell them to bring money before we head out. Honeslty, there are about 4 people that i bring on my boat regularly so they all know the deal. What really sucks is when you are the gas station, they get the hint and say "hey i'v got some money for you ill bring it next time" and then they dont readily offer it up the next time. Yeah i give them a hard time like "how many tanks have you filled up this summer?" and stuff like that but i wont ever pointblank say "give me your money or get off." I will say that I have severly cut down the number of times i ask one of guys though...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
I never ask. However if I on someone else's boat and I know there are newbie's on it that may not know I will make it really obvious right in front of the newbies so they know what the common courtesy is. I have also had to pony up for a friend who didnt bring gas money once. If you bring a friend and they dont shell out...it's on you to cover the difference.
Old    jdgreen1            08-09-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polhamus View Post
We don't but starting to think we should ASK....We let them use a board, a life vest, have a good time. And we don't ask...we just HOPE people will chip in. I am taking a poll. What do you do? 2 out of 6 people chipped in the other day.
I will never ask. It is my boat, I decided to buy it and I assume all financial responsibilities. Asking for money is tacky.

If you feel someone is taking advantage of you on purpose, then stop inviting them in my opinion.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-09-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
this never used to be a problem, but slowly has turned into one on my boat. i really don't care about the money. it's not going to make or break me, but it is a good gesture after a day of fun on someone else's ride. i always throw down cash when i'm on someone's boat, no exceptions. so i set these rules on my rig.

-newbs get 1 free pass without being haggled.
-girls always ride free.
-everyone else is expected to at least offer... something

Most of the time it's "Aw man, I just have my card... I'll get you back."

I just tell them don't worry about it, leave your beer. It's all good.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
I wish i had more guys that ask. I dont expect girls to pay, and first/second timers i dont expect them to ask.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-09-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Given that I usually do all of the driving and assume all liability of those that I'm giving pulls to, I generally expect them to chip in for fuel or bring beer for me at the very least. If it's a newbie, I don't expect it but they usually catch on going forward when others give me fuel money right in front of them. If it's a buddy that we swap pulls with or someone I've asked to give me feedback, no money needed.

Most people ask what they need to bring when they aren't a regular...I use that opportunity to say whatever you are drinking and fuel or fuel $. I don't think it's tacky at all....if I were a Newbie, I would rather someone tell me up front than wonder why I never get invited out since there are not that many owners willing/able to cover all the fuel expense. We are spending right @ $400/month on fuel alone.

I have been on a boat that had a coffee can with this phrase on it... "This boat does not run on Thanks; put gas money in here." Personally, I thought it was funny since I always offer gas money without the "collection plate" displayed. But if I didn't, I would know that I'm supposed to!
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-09-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
Usually for me
-newbies-first time=free
-if they just are along for the ride (extra ballast)=free
*if I take them out once a year=free
regulars that go with us fairly often and ride hard-i expect a few bucks for gas.

If they asked what to bring-I always say any drinks & food you want plus a few bucks for gas. And leave it at that.

I don't sweat it if they don't pitch in for gas, but then when they drink all my beer we have problems, lol. Third's not paying me for gas will not break me, I think it is a nice gesture though that they pitch in a few bucks especially considering the cost of gas these days

My wife and I can go just fine the two of us, get plenty of riding in then hang out with our other friends with boats, sometimes we actually perfer a day here and there by oursleves on the boat.

I took my boat on a 5 day vacation with a bunch of friends and spent almost $100 a day for gas (on the water) and never paid once. Those friends are the ones who get invited back!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-09-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
I typically always ask for gas money. Unless as others have stated it another boat owner that I ride with then there's that unspoken agreement that I pay for you, you pay for me.

I have a not so subtle sticker on the transome that says, "my boat runs on gas not thanks."

Honestly I have my crew trained fairly well, instead of cash usually everyone shows up to the dock with a 6 gallon gas tank full of premo- I actually lik this better than Gas money.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-09-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgreen1 View Post
I will never ask. It is my boat, I decided to buy it and I assume all financial responsibilities. Asking for money is tacky.

If you feel someone is taking advantage of you on purpose, then stop inviting them in my opinion.
I dont think its Tacky at all! With my X-star Slammed out we are buring 8+ gallons of Premo an hour! That is stupid expensive. I dont think it's tacky at all, in fact I think its very necessary! Its not like you give some one a pull then look at them when the pop out the water and say, "that'll be twenty bucks." Its an unspoken rule, your ride, you pay, or in my crew you ride you bring gas.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
our rule is first time is free.
after that usually 10 bucks a head
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-09-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
My friends always offer to chip in, which I think is somewhat expected. Usually if its someone new, I tell them I would love to take them out on my boat, but it doesn't run without gas, so they get the impression upfront that they aren't riding for free. I don't think its really to much to ask since I already fronted the money for the boat, tow vehicle, insurance, maintenance, and boards. I typically suck it up and cleanup myself since I'm anal and have a certian way I like to do it.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-09-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
I guess it matters what you go out for and with who. I always go out with the same crew give or take a interchangeable person or 2 and we all show up with cans that are full. We drive straight to the ride spot take a set maybe 2 and straight back in to the launch to do other things with the rest of our day. no floating, no partying no coves or ski beach just riding. if one of us is hurting on finances thats a different story and we all help put some but it always comes back around somehow.

Under these circumstances why would anyone of us pay for some elses addiction? Would you buy dope for your freinds to use....
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-09-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
I've never outright asked for money. For a while the only crew I had was some younger kids who didn't have any gear, so they used my boards and vests. They wouldn't offer any gas money, even when I'd drop some hintst. I know younger guys don't have a lot of money to throw around, but I would have appreciated a token $5 every few times out. Never were enthusiastic about helping clean up the boat or any of that stuff either, which would have made up for it. They don't get called unless I'm short on people.

Fortunately a couple of my friends have got into riding more and when they come out it's nice they always throw down at least $20. My one buddy always has taken care of the ramp fee for me. Helps grab any trash out of the boat, wipe down, load up, etc. I've also had a few guys off of here that have come out a few times and have nothing but good to say about everyone I've met on here. Always friendly, helpful, generous, etc. Don't have to ask anyone to watch the line, know how to drive, always throw down money, bring cold drinks, whatever. It's always nice when people bring something to the table. It doesn't have to be much, but any gesture is always appreciated.
Old    jdgreen1            08-09-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I dont think its Tacky at all! With my X-star Slammed out we are buring 8+ gallons of Premo an hour! That is stupid expensive. I dont think it's tacky at all, in fact I think its very necessary! Its not like you give some one a pull then look at them when the pop out the water and say, "that'll be twenty bucks." Its an unspoken rule, your ride, you pay, or in my crew you ride you bring gas.
If you invite someone out on your boat and then ask for money, that it is tacky. If you disagree, the we just have different views on the subject. No big deal.

You you have regular seasoned riders with an understood agreement, then maybe not.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-09-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
Its the second choice. I guess since I ride with the same crew 95% of the time, its just the norm.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-09-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
If you invite someone out on your boat and then ask for money, that it is tacky. If you disagree, the we just have different views on the subject. No big deal.

You you have regular seasoned riders with an understood agreement, then maybe not.
I think it's tacky when people don't offer gas money, so we can agree to disagree. If someone asked to carpool with me often and never offered fuel money, I don't think it can be called carpooling since it's more of a charity taxi service.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-09-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
Seen it in stickers too.
Attached Images

Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-09-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
Growing up I would get in trouble if I didn't ask for gas money. Riding multiple times, everyday all summer isn't cheap.

Sometimes I'd make them go get more too.

Good call making them bring the gas.

This is circumstantial to the group and situation of course.
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-10-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
I always offer money - nobody in my crew "asks" for money....we just know that we have to chip in. I haven't owned a boat but I know how expensive it can be from gas to oil changes to maintenance, etc....It is just the right thing to do. There was one time that I went out and didn't have enough to give the boat owner, but I made up for it the next time we went out. I will always help wipe it down and clean it up after riding as well.

That is the least I can do for being a boat whore
Old    jdgreen1            08-10-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
I think it's tacky when people don't offer gas money, so we can agree to disagree. If someone asked to carpool with me often and never offered fuel money, I don't think it can be called carpooling since it's more of a charity taxi service.
That is a different situation completely. I am talking about people I have invited on my boat.

Do you ask your buddies to chip in on the power bill if they come over every weekend to watch the game? Do you ask them to chip in on the cost of the pool if they come over to swim? There isn't much difference in my mind.

The only people I invite on my boat are my friends and family. I don't keep tabs with friends. Everything will balance out among us. That being said, they chip in on fuel 9 times out of 10. If they don't, then I figure that they may be in a pinch financially and I'm not going to put them in the ackward postion of explaining that to me. Either way, I really don't care.

My next comment will not come across the way I intend it, but I 100% not trying to be a douche. Wakeboarding behind a wakeboat may be too expensive of a hobby for some people. I understand that is a reality, but if you can't comfortably afford a hobby, then maybe people should look for alternatives (cable parks, etc.).
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
I personally can say that I've never gone riding with a friend without offering money or at least to bring some sort of beverage.
Old    mojo            08-10-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
I prefer a 5 gallon over cash as well.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-10-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
I was talking with my Crew last night about this thread as we were gasing up the boat. My homie Sean said it best.

"It's common courtesy, like taking your shoes off when you walk in some one's house. You shouldn't have to ask, it should just be done out of respect to the boat owner."

So then I looked at him and asked for twenty bucks after he brought 6 gallons of premium with him! Hahahahahaha got a good laugh.
Old    mojo            08-10-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Why do y'all use premium? My 05 PCM 330 asks for 87 and my 05 indmar rtp-1 asked for 89.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I prefer a 5 gallon over cash as well.
So would it be better to ask the boat owner if they want gas or money? I usually just take $20 and some form of drinkage
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Getting gas money from a lot of my hometown friends was always a pain in the ass and I was always shorted in the end, so I just started to ride with more WW people that I don't have to ask for gas money, respect your boat, and are on time... .no regrets, have made some new friends that know how this game works.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-10-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
I've never asked for money and never will... when i was in grade school we never had a boat but friends of my parents that we usually camped with did and would always take me out. Never would accept money for gas either. Now i'm the one with the boat and lots of my friends don't have one. I figure it's time for me to give back.

because my wife is not a water person i am usually looking for someone to go with when we sneak down for an evening set... i figure it would be rather rude to call someone up and ask them if they want to go then ask for money when were done... if they don't come i can't go...

I have one guy that has starting wakeboarding this year and came out with me a couple times... we were talking about my boat in general and he was pretty shocked to hear the size of fuel tank these boats have... the next morning i got a text from him to check under the seat of my truck... he'd stuffed $40.00 bucks under it. lol. he always brings beer to!!

Also there's a couple of my son's friends that are really into watersports... so i always invite them along... i like having a crew on board.... their dad owns a boat so it's even better cause they are super respectful of all my stuff.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-10-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
^^I agree with Taylor. I bought a boat because I enjoy wakeboarding and it's an addiction of mine. It's hard enough to support my own addiction let alone everyone elses. I stopped taking out my "friends" because they have no idea about boat etiquette(Paying for their gas, coiling the rope properly when someone is done riding and helping clean the boat afterward). It's so much easier to ride with WW people that have boats also and take care of all that stuff without me even having to ask. I know they are watching the rope to make sure its clear of the prop and will fill the sacs when its time etc...

$10/set usually covers gas on my boat. If you ride...you pay. I still cover my own gas and pay for the launch, I just ask people to pay for their own costs and I always make sure someone new knows the deal before they come out. A buddy of mines friend just charges everyone a flat rate: $20 if you ride, $10 if you don't. Everyone pays and no one has a problem with it. Think about it... even for a chick who doesn't want to ride, she gets to enjoy a full day out on the boat, listening to good music and drinking beers for $10? Thats some cheap entertainment if yo ask me.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-10-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=jdgreen1;1700129 My next comment will not come across the way I intend it, but I 100% not trying to be a douche. Wakeboarding behind a wakeboat may be too expensive of a hobby for some people. I understand that is a reality, but if you can't comfortably afford a hobby, then maybe people should look for alternatives (cable parks, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it came across exactly the way you meant it. It's not about what boat owners can afford; it's about carrying your own weight with a crew and not being a free loader. I'm fine paying for my own hobby and then some....I just think people should offer to pay for a part of their own hobby as well. This historically has not been a problem with the people I ride with because they know proper etiquette to at least make the offer.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-10-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great tips. We drove to the delta and it cost $155 that includes driving the truck. It was a great day the guy who paid us sunday came out again w/us monday...no gas money. Yes we have non wakeboarding friends- I usually don't invite those out again that didn't pay. It's funny to me actually now that I see the word "free loader." Oi.....Yes we supply water, I share snacks. I have too big of a heart. Yeah it's going out in the text now......bring towel, snacks, drinks and $20.

If I would have known it was going to be $155- I would have went for an afternoon session @ my home lake...which would have cost me $50.
If your wakeboarding gets in the way of me having another session for myself, you can stay @ home!!!! Most of these people chip in usually...I was not expecting it at all......
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-10-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
Never have, never will. But when people ask what they can bring I tell them, I drink water, gatorade,Heineken and I get hungry! Most have offered gas money and to those I say thank you very much, but it is not needed.

Its my boat, and I invited them to come along. Like some other members have posted, my wife isn't that much into water sports so if my friends don't go, then I can't go either.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
LIke a friend of mine said (who is not a wakeboarder, owns a 42' formula)..... "you invite your "non-boating" friends out, they bring a 6 pack of beer for the whole day and thats it... You end the day with a empty cooler and a empty fuel tank"

Its like going out for dinner with friends... depending on the occasion, you might pick up the whole tab. Normally... its split.... same thing with boating.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2011, 4:53 AM Reply   
My crew is actually really good about this and I'm beyond thankful for that. We square up the day after and split it however many ways we rode. Usually is 2 couples, and they all ride. So we usually split gas 3 ways the next time we ride after I fill up since we used that much amount. I have a card reader I plug into my phone and just have them swipe their card there so I don't have to deal with cash either. In 3 days we racked up 280 bucks in gas but split among three it only ran 93ish bucks. We have a rotation we ride in and they chip in snacks, ice, drinks etc, and at the end of the day we wipe the boat down, move the boards to the vehicles and clean everything out. I am very appreciative to have a good riding crew. I feel bad to ask for gas money but they understand and its not a question anymore. They have said before that if they can't pay they dont ride or go and they know its expensive to get out there and shred.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-11-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:

I agree. If you invite someone and then ask for money it's pretty cheap of you. Perhaps, you should have taken the price of gas into consideration before purchasing? However, if you have people always asking you to go on your boat and you go out of your way to take them out then yes, I can see expecting them to kick in some cash. I've personally never asked or accepted money.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-11-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
Dang... some people are ballin way harder than my friends and I ... EVERY boat i've rode on... eveyone throws in some $$ after we ride.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-12-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Like I said, they usually chip in. This time they didn't...it was weird and we swallowed the cost. Out of 8 people, I could have not invited 5. I only rode once.
I would have rather have spent the money on me taking another set, not them....
Good point though, if your constantly asking them to go out, and they finally do, should they pay?
Old     (ckdollar)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-13-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
So you people that don't ask for gas money are ok paying 100 dollars to go out? I go out 2-3 times a week and there is noway im going to cover that cost by myself.

Maybe you just go to party cove and sit but there is noway you are pulling 6-10 sets and are ok with picking that tab up.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
For me it is all about the offer. I will never straight up ask someone for gas money and if they don't offer, i just take it as more of a sign of their character. I will still invite them on the boat because most of the time, you need a driver lol
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-13-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdollar View Post
So you people that don't ask for gas money are ok paying 100 dollars to go out? I go out 2-3 times a week and there is noway im going to cover that cost by myself.
Damn if I was lucky enough to have a crew for 2-3 times a week I'd pay the gas for all of us if that was what it took. Even paying the whole tab with free drinks and food for everyone on the boat I can barely manage to scrape up a crew every other week. Right now I haven't had the boat wet or been riding for two weeks, and it'll be at least another week before I get a crew together, maybe longer.

Like I said, I appreciate when my better riding buddies come that always take care of me, but it's difficult to get people together. I always make time for riding, and am flexible to ride 7 days a week. Free every day after work and can be at the ramp at sunrise on weekends, but just don't know many people who ride that are flexible on timing. Somtimes I get lucky and get to ride once a week for a few weeks, other times it'll be a month before I get to ride again.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
been too nice in the past and didn't say anything and never got any $$, so I stopped inviting them out...I think its fair, my boat doesn't run on "THANKS"
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-13-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:

Maybe you just go to party cove and sit but there is noway you are pulling 6-10 sets and are ok with picking that tab up.
Typically we are on the water by 9am and trailering by 4 or 5pm. Aside from a float for lunch and the occasional float and swim to adjust ballast for surfing, we are pulling someone. I top off the gas on our next trip and it is usually between $50 and $60. I am perfectly fine with picking up that tab for my friends to come out on my boat. It is a cost factor I knew I was going to incur when I bought the boat.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-14-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:

I totally agree with your response!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-14-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I typically ride with people who know how it is. If I rode with moochers all the time, I would prefer to spend my money on a day out with my family if I am picking up the tab. I am of the opinion that the offer is more important than the amount. There are exceptions to the rule, but not too many.
Old    mojo            08-14-2011, 5:19 PM Reply   
Look at it this way. When u snowboard with buddies do you pay for their season pass? When you go ride moto do you fill your friends bike? When you go offshore fishing do you assume the bill for gas, licenses, etc? When hunting do you pay for their license, ammo, gun? The answer should be no. If said boat owner is a friend you should not take advantage of their good nature and friendship.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-15-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
I agree. If you invite someone and then ask for money it's pretty cheap of you. Perhaps, you should have taken the price of gas into consideration before purchasing? However, if you have people always asking you to go on your boat and you go out of your way to take them out then yes, I can see expecting them to kick in some cash. I've personally never asked or accepted money.
Agree 100%.

Its a different situation then. Its like inviting friends over for dinner and asking them to bring the food as well.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
I think the reasoning that if you can't afford to put your gas in your boat for everyone then maybe you should reconsider being a boat owner is absolutely silly. I am willing to bet all of us boat owners can afford the gas for a day on the water for a full boat but I am of the strong opinion it is not the boat owners responsibility to pay for everyone else to have fun. I equate it to what mojo said.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Also I ride with a crew who I have NEVER had to ask money from. They just know the deal.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-15-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
Used to when I bought my first boat and money was tighter. Now I don't ask for gas money from guests that I invite out. (My regular "crew" is the wife and kids, so I rob their piggy banks and teh wife can "work it off"...hahahaha) Most astute guests realize what it costs and offer up. Rarely do I take the $, but I'll let them buy me a dinner afterwards or something.
Have one set of frineds that aren't going to be going to the Ozarks anymore because of the $ situation though. They've been regular boat mooches on my buddys and my boat for almost 10 years now. Usually on the Ozarks trip they would contribute, minimally, but hey we're friends and they've always been frugal, so no big deal.
Now that we have bigger wakeboats and their kids are older (10 and 12), the 4 of them are behind the boat as much or more than us that own the boats. After $100-150 a day x 2 boats x 7 days, this family didn't contribute one red cent for gas. He!!, I'm about $800 lighter in the wallet for the week and my boat didn't even get to go on the trip!
They just ended their wakeboard and surfing careers as far as we're concerned.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thrall, that's crazy!!! A 7 day house boat trip and didn't pay for one can of gas?? How could they have the audacity to even go on the trip knowing that they can't afford to do so. And you think beforehand the guy might have mentioned too you that he was strapped for cash and would get you back at a later date. That takes some pretty big cojones.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-15-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
^^ +1 for that!! Talk about ballin' on somebody else's budget! Super wack
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-15-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thrall... i'd be pissed if i was you as well. The reason i don't ask for money is because of the crew i take out..... mostly kids the same age as my son (14-17 ish) and i'm certainly not going to rob their paper route money. My other usual callout goes to a couple guys... one who has a boat and one who doesn't but is looking right now. sometimes i go on my buddies boat so its a wash. And the other buddy offers cash everytime!! Not a huge crowd in my little town (400 people) that are into wakeboarding/surfing. I'm always looking for someone to come with me so i can get in a set. If it was the other way around and i had people calling me asking if i was going out... then for sure i'd expect cash/beer/compensation of some sort
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
took this friend of a friend out in my boat, she has her own wakeboard and vest and stuff and told me how she always pitches in for gas when out with her regular crew....she boarded to her hearts content and then at the dock she left without giving me even 10 bucks...never to be invited again.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-17-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
I never ask. I take it when it's offered. I recently have been asked to be a chase boat for photo ops though and wasn't offered any gas or cheddar and that sucked. Especially when that dude asks for gas money on his boat...
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-17-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
I never ask. I enjoy getting out with my friends, if they offer I accept, but that's not what it's about for me. I enjoy seeing others enjoy what I like, spending time hanging out, going for a swim or a couple of sets on the lake..... I'm gonna be out there anyways, so I'd rather have company. That's me personally

I will say this as a side point.It all depends who's asking to go out.
If I ask them = free
They ask me all the time cause they don't own a boat, I'd have no issues asking for a bit of cash, but I like the deal of them bringing there own gas

There's a good sticker or a text reply: BYOG!
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-18-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiatowski View Post

There's a good sticker or a text reply: BYOG!
HA... AWESOME!

Will happen...
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-18-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
How to start this.. Im 24 and I have a great job. I do not own a boat and probably wont for quite awhile. I mostly only ride cable because of this. BUT I have always preached about being a good third. I usually bring a cooler full of goods and offer gas money.. If they take it.. Great.. If not.. Great as well. But welcome yourself to my cooler too... And after riding. I have never left a dock/house/ramp without helping clean out the boat, wipe it down, or any other chore that needs to be done. Its proper ettiquette(sp) and it personally makes you look like a better person which will in turn have you hopefully invited out more times and networked to other crews as well. Sometimes I may ask to bring my gf too. She doesnt ride.. But she is super friendly, great with kids, and extremely fun and well mannered, which if I do.. I will make sure she has everything she needs to not mooch as well and she will even help with the clean up at the end of the day and cheer on anyone as they ride... All this being said... I think moochers are whack.. and if anyone is looking for a third in south TX.. South of Sugarland... PM me
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-18-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waketx05 View Post
How to start this.. Im 24 and I have a great job. I do not own a boat and probably wont for quite awhile. I mostly only ride cable because of this. BUT I have always preached about being a good third. I usually bring a cooler full of goods and offer gas money.. If they take it.. Great.. If not.. Great as well. But welcome yourself to my cooler too... And after riding. I have never left a dock/house/ramp without helping clean out the boat, wipe it down, or any other chore that needs to be done. Its proper ettiquette(sp) and it personally makes you look like a better person which will in turn have you hopefully invited out more times and networked to other crews as well. Sometimes I may ask to bring my gf too. She doesnt ride.. But she is super friendly, great with kids, and extremely fun and well mannered, which if I do.. I will make sure she has everything she needs to not mooch as well and she will even help with the clean up at the end of the day and cheer on anyone as they ride... All this being said... I think moochers are whack.. and if anyone is looking for a third in south TX.. South of Sugarland... PM me
If you ever make to VA you would be welcome on my boat. Sounds like you have it figured out.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-18-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
Appreciate the offer!!!!
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-31-2011, 10:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waketx05 View Post
if you are ever around new braunfels/lake dunlap/ canyon lake area i always need thirds holler at your boy sound like a good person to ride with
nate 830-832-2307