Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
im looking into buying my first boat after riding for almost seven years now. one of my good friends is looking to sell his 2003 malibu vlx to me for 24000. i have looked all over the internet and cant find another 2003 for under 30. the boat is very clean with only one minor scratch on the side about the length of my pinky finger. the seats are clean as well with no rips or tears in them at all. the engine has 500 hours on it, i know thats alot but its my first boat. he told me if i wanted it he would sell it with the kicker L7 and memphis speakers in it as well as another memphis amp if i wanted to put tower speakers on in the future. my question....is this a good deal?? also am i going to have to really sink it to get a good wake out of it? i have only ridden on the 07 and newer vlx. thanks for any input!!

chase
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
can you posted up pictures!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
i have them on my phone..i will try and send them to my email and post them on here tonight
its blue and yellow
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-29-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Need all the options listed to be able to tell you whether it's a good price or not.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
500 hrs is nothing if it's been taken care of. Find out how often he changes the oil & winterizes the boat.

Even if it's a bare boat with not many options that is probably not a bad deal. The only issue I'd have with it was in 03 they were selling Skylon &/or ProFlight towers..... neither of which are my favorite. If it's got a Titan, it's a slam dunk.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-29-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
If you don't want it let me know haha. I'm also in the market for my first boat. I want either a Malibu VLX or LSV and am trying to stay around or under 30K.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
lol ok brock...he told me it has every option except a heater for that year! and it has the titan 1 tower...not my favorite but its a tower lol
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
lol ok brock...he told me it has every option except a heater for that year! and it has the titan 1 tower...not my favorite but its a tower lol
Maybe not the best looking tower, but probably the strongest & most trouble-free tower ever. Load it up with a bimini, racks, speakers, lights, etc. & it'll look great.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
can anyone tell me about the wake? im used to riding an x star with the fly high system. i know it wont be as big but any input on size and shape?
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-12-2010, 11:13 PM Reply   
Hey man, can't tell you much about the wake or anything about the boat really but I noticed on your profile that your main riding spot is KY Lake. Same here. If ya get bored sometime send me a message on here and maybe we can ride. I'd be glad to pitch in as far as gas money and all that goes.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-13-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
Wake is good, not huge stock, but has the potential to get big. We bought a 2003 last year with a skylon for quite a bit more than that. It had a high end bimini and an upgraded stereo system and about half as many hours though. I wish it had the Titan. Ours also has a pretty high end boatmate trailer, so that helped justify some of the cost. We did get it for well under 30k though, but they are hard to find. People are proud of them.

We have had it loaded down once this summer (full stock ballast...500lbs worth of side sacks front and rear and 8 people) and I was injured, but the wake was actually kind of scary looking to me, though I am still a novice(even after 10+ years...no hand/eye coordination)

I looked at another 2003 that wasn't as loaded as the one I bought(no wedge...what is up with that??)and they wanted 34K. I feel like I got a great deal at what I paid and I looked for six months. If it is indeed in the condition you say, I would go for it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-13-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
That's a good deal. 500 hrs just shows it hasn't sat unused, which is good. It has another 2000 in it if you take care of it.

What year X-star are you used to riding? Not that it matters much - the first-gen VLX wake is great.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-13-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
Had the 2002 VLX and loved the wake. Melow rampy unless you dropped the wedge if it has one and it makes it steeper. People added and all the ballast full and you will be happy with the wake, unless you are pro status then just add fat sacs. The prices sounds pretty good to me. Titan tower are solid towers for sure. I personally don't care for the backward looking towers. I have the Titan III now and have no complaints at all. If it is from a friend and you know it has been taken care of then it sounds like a no brainer. Buy it. My two cents.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-13-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
well i took it home today for 21!!! ha, gas gauge is not working properly and perfect pass is acting up but other than that its amazing!! im used to riding an 08 40th anniversary edition with the fly high system
Old     (ozzgood)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-13-2010, 11:42 PM Reply   
Well its all yours ... Congrats ..
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-15-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Nice score! Sounds like you got a deal for sure!

Congrats
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-15-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Let's see some pics Chase. Congrats on the boat. I have a 01 VLX. It will put out a nice wake. I run 1100 in the rear and 500 in the locker. We go to kentucky lake alot also.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-17-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
ill try to get some pics up tonight
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-17-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Wow, great deal!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-17-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I owned a 2003 VLX. with just a little bit of weight and with or wothout the wedge , you will get a very nice clean wake. It wont be huge but it will be NICE. That boat was one of my favorite. It drove like a sportscar but still produced a good wakesurfing and wakeboard wake. I loved it.