Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

View Poll Results: What would you choose?
2012 Malibu 247 LSV 34 68.00%
2012 Mastercraft X55 15 30.00%
Other 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (jables3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-01-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Very close to pulling the trigger on one of these two. Looking for some input on a few things:

1. Saltwater package - Major differences and is either one far better than the other? I ride almost exclusively in saltwater but I do have a lift for the boat so it isn't actually ever sitting in the water unless I'm using it. I find it difficult to find unbiased info on the saltwater setups anywhere.

2. Surf wake - We do alot of wakesurfing and usually have alot of people in the boat. I don't really want to mess with adding extra fatsacs, etc. so which one would have best setup with stock equip?

3. Wakeboarding wake - same as wake surf question #2

4. I'm looking at about a $30K price diff. between the two right now. The Malibu dealer we have dealt with for 3 years on my current boat and they are pretty good to deal with, but about a 2 hour drive from home. The MC dealer, 10 minutes from home.

One last thing, rather than the X55 is there any great performance benefit to that compared to the X45?

Thanks
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-01-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
How did you get that voting pole on your thread?
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-01-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I have never ridden a 55 but the surf wake and wakeboard wake on the 45 are great. My buddy has a saltwater series 45 he has been very happy with it for the last two years. I have ridden a 247 LSV it was a great wake also, never surfed behind one but I would imagine it would be pretty good. I am not familiar with the Saltwater set up on the Malibu.

On a side note I was really impressed with the layout and the room in a 45. How many people do you normally have on the boat?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
You will need extra sacs. You can have them plumbed in so they work like stock.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
Stock surf and wakeboard wake - Malibu.

I have a feeling the X45 would be drier if you are in big water and looking for something that has more freeboard.

No info on the salt package on either.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
He is comparing a X-55 to a 247.

The X-55 is a HUGE boat. Not only in length(25'5"), but in free-board and hull shape. With adequate ballast, I don't think an X-45 or 247 can come close in surf wake. The 247 and X-45 have more seating space, but the X-55 has a full head, wet bar, and self bailing cockpit. It is all about what the intended use is. If you are running the boat in salt, I assume you are in a coastal region. The X-55's hull shape is designed for big/open waters and can handle about anything that inland bays and waterways can throw at it. Here are a few pics of a X--55's interior in case some of you have not seen one.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Here's a question...since the X-55 has a head in it, doesn't that qualify it as a "2nd home" or whatever the term is and allow you to write off the interest on the loan on your taxes? That could be a pretty good benefit from a tax standpoint.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Potentially. The rules state that sleeping, cooking, and bathroom facilities must be installed by the manufacturer. I suppose you could try to stretch it, but I would not recommend it. Pretty much asking for an audit and I don't think it would fly with the X-55.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-01-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
For me the X55 wins because I could poop and mess with the radio at the same time.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
I vote X-55. Sure, the Malibu may have more seating in the cockpit (they don't call it a limo for nothing), but I just love how wide, long, and DEEP the X-55 feels. I think it's the ultimate family boat. I love how big the bow is. The Malibu bow is tiny in comparison.

Watch this video... it's the one that convinced me that the X-55 is my dream family boat.

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Never, EVER use the toilet for # 2.
Old     (jables3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-01-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
Usually rolling with at least 10 prob usually 12 people.

I don't find that my bow seating ever really gets that much usage. I have a 2009 SANLE right now and no one is ever sitting up front. I actually have to tell people to go up there if we're surfling sometimes. We're fortunate enough to have an area that we ride that stays calm almost all the time. I guess it's good to keep in mind the MC will probably handle rougher water better.
Old     (TWCA21Wake)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-01-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
is your sante a 230 or a 210....any pics???
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
my question is where the h ell is the pisser on that 55?? is it under the helm on the port side? Im lost..
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-01-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Lol d_rock I was thinking the exact same thing. Do you like crawl in the ski locker? Where is this magical Narnia bathroom?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2012, 10:06 PM Reply   
It's under the glove box behind a hidden door.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-02-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
He is comparing a X-55 to a 247.
I don't think an X-45 or 247 can come close in surf wake.
Alan: do you have any video of the X55 surf wake. I have yet to see a MC with a good surf wake. Not saying it cant be done, I just have not seen it. I would think MC's best surf boat would be X25.

As for surfing: There is not a boat on the market that you wont have to upgrade the ballast to get a very good surf wake. The Bu247 has a great wave and you can get it with all of the weight under the seats, but you will have to upgrade the bags to a custom Enzo sac (I believe Bakes marine has it).

FYI: I know this thread is about MC/Bu, but two other boats you may want to check out based on your criteria of boat size/surf would be Tige RZ4 or Z3 and Centurion Enzo 244
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rock View Post
my question is where the h ell is the pisser on that 55?? is it under the helm on the port side? Im lost..
That's exactly where it is. The helm is a giant door that opens up and then goes down in. It's not that big of an area either. MC should put a tiny microwave in there and then call the seating area a bed and then it's a full tax write off. LOL!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have to say I would prefer more space behind the windshield instead of in front of it. Especially with kids being up there.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
I have to say I would prefer more space behind the windshield instead of in front of it. Especially with kids being up there.
It's one thing to make a comment like this when we are talking about a 21 or 22 foot boat. In that case, there is a real trade off some boats make. But this is a 25.5' boat!! It has BOTH a huge bow AND an huge cockpit.

And what's with all the fear of people sitting in the bow? Why do we even have open bows if we are scared to let people sit in them? Especially with a boat like the X-55. Did you see how big and deep that bow is?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Was not slamming the boat by any stretch I will never need or be able to afford an X55. Just saying if I am doing an apples to apples comparison of boat A vs boat B the one with more space in the main cabin will be more to my liking. Just an opinion. Obviously that owner LOVES the bow space everyone is different. He also has older kids that are more trustable. We have open bows because sometimes we do have people sit up there. Don't care how deep a bow is I have seen kids do plenty of STUPID things. So yes I prefer a boat that would stretch the main cabin and give up space in the bow. Guessing you would not. Thats fine its an opinion neither right or wrong. Would love to have the problem of the poster and you.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-02-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
"And what's with all the fear of people sitting in the bow?"

Refer to the Mastercraft X45 lawsuit thread! Lol.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-02-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
If you want a one button Surf wake that is the same as the WWSC then order a Centurion Enzo 244 with Pro Ballast, and plug & play! Also you could order a RH rotation if you want a Goofy wake!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Was not slamming the boat by any stretch I will never need or be able to afford an X55. Just saying if I am doing an apples to apples comparison of boat A vs boat B the one with more space in the main cabin will be more to my liking. Just an opinion. Obviously that owner LOVES the bow space everyone is different. He also has older kids that are more trustable. We have open bows because sometimes we do have people sit up there. Don't care how deep a bow is I have seen kids do plenty of STUPID things. So yes I prefer a boat that would stretch the main cabin and give up space in the bow. Guessing you would not. Thats fine its an opinion neither right or wrong. Would love to have the problem of the poster and you.
I hear what you are saying. My point is simply that when you are talking about a 25.5' boat that already has tons of room behind the windshield, you don't really have to worry about how much room is in the bow vs. cockpit. If I'm getting a boat this big, I want it all... room in the bow, cockpit, and a huge sub pad!

And just to be clear, this is not MY problem, as you say. I'm not the OP. I don't have a dog in this fight. And I'll never own either an X-55 or a 24LSV.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:41 PM Reply   
Paul hit that issue on the head!

All I have to say, is I wish I had to decide between those two boats. Seriously though, your not going to go wrong with either. Both are ridiculously huge, are going to such gas like air, and will hold a ton of people. The pooper thing will rarely be used, and will just get in the way of storage issues.

Have you considered a yet??? JK
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-03-2012, 12:11 AM Reply   
¿Yet?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-03-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
I would go for the Mastercraft because of the saltwater series. I have had an X2 that is used almost exclusively in salt and kept on a lift for almost 6 years. I spend a lot of time maintaining it and it has been a great boat but it has issues that all wakeboard boats except for a salt water edition will have. I have had to replace the manifolds (I have closed cooling but it only cools the block), the steering cable twice, my motor mounts are looking rusty, and I have had to replace the impeller many times. The saltwater edition fixes all these problems because of closed cooling, stainless hardware, hydraulic steering, and a water strainer.

If you didn't use the boat in salt then it would be a tough issue but imo not getting the saltwater series would be a mistake.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2012, 11:31 PM Reply   
That was weird. I typed as a joke "Have you considered a BRACKET Insert you favorite boat manufacturer here BRACKET yet??? JK

But was came out was everything minus what I put in the brackets. I'll have to remember that.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
I looked at an X55 last weekend at the boat show in Cincy. It had the additional seating option, which I would have prefered to see the sink/fridge options intead. Bulkier boat than the 247 but not as much seating. I love the boat other than a few of the overdone parts. Sadly they don't offer the LSA in it anymore, and has the usual ugly Mastercraft Tower. The toilet area is too small for anyone of reasonable height to make use of it sitting down.

I liked it, but would have a hard time justifying the price difference. Someone else footing the bill, I would likely go with the X55.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-04-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
they dont offer the LSA anymore, correct but the 55 at the cincy boat show had the ilmore 7.4 which pushes out just as much power without the aid of forced induction.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
they dont offer the LSA anymore, correct but the 55 at the cincy boat show had the ilmore 7.4 which pushes out just as much power without the aid of forced induction.
Illmor 7.4L puts out 522HP @ 5800 RPM and 524 ft-lb of torque @ 4400 RPM.

Indmar LSA puts out 555HP @ 5400 RPM and 545 ft-lb of torque @ 4000 RPM

So the LSA makes 33HP more and 31 ft-lb of torque @ 400 RPM less. I'd much rather have the LSA.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-04-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
even with the additional wear and tear that forced induction puts on an engine? we're talking about less than 10% horsepower difference here, at 500+ horsepower & torque, i would highly doubt anyone would be able to tell a difference

Last edited by willyt; 02-04-2012 at 4:55 PM. Reason: editing
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
even with the additional wear and tear that forced induction puts on an engine? we're talking about less than 10% horsepower difference here, at 500+ horsepower & torque, i would highly doubt anyone would be able to tell a difference
You are also talking a motor designed for forced induction. It is also only running 9lbs of boost on a 9:1 motor (many CTS-V folks are running a lot more power on that motor w/ stock internals). I should have no issues holding up in stock form. You also have to remember this motor isn't being ran to the RPM's the shortblock is capable of either, and the intercooler is far more efficient on a boating application.