Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
I read somewhere that wakeboards get "soft" with age or use. The article implied a used board would deliver less pop than a new board. Dose anyone know more about this? Would an intermediate rider even notice?
Old    mojo            02-17-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
yes it's true. even without hitting rails, eventually your board is going to lose some pop. as cores change though they are beginning to last longer. i'm still on an 08 ibex and it still rides just as well as day 1, but it really all depends on what the board is made of and the events it experiences throughout life. i wouldn't worry about it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-17-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
It does happen. After much use the board will not spring back to its original shape as quick. An intermediate rider could notice but you really need to ride the old one and a brand new identical shape back to back to really notice.

Depending on frequency, how one rides and the construction of the core will determine how long its lasts.

Last edited by stephan; 02-17-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-17-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
oh yea unfortunately that happens.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
My 08 Watson served me well through 3 solid seasons of riding, but I'm a big dude, and now the board flexes way more than it should. So I picked up a watson classic, and it's practically night and day difference between the two. But I also hit some rails on the old watson, so that didn't help it either. But they definitely do deliver less pop than a new board, it just takes a while/a lot of riding.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-17-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
Like others have said, they answer is yes. Ollie on your old board and then ollie on a brand new board and you will tell a huge difference.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-18-2011, 5:32 AM Reply   
My new questions is can I convence my wife I need a new board based on this information?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-18-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
Umm...... yes? lol
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
Yeah THEY totally go soft....my rule is usually replace a board every 2 years if it lasts that long
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-04-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
That means your old board is then a "Flex" board right? Lands softer, still has good pop? Sounds just like the board at the boat show some guy was trying to talk me into buying . I am not totally on board with the new flex boards yet..still pondering???? But then again Im only riding behind boats. But, but! They are building a new cable park right down the street in Allen, Tx. Jet.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-04-2011, 4:08 PM Reply   
It's natural with age, Just get it some Blue pills & it will get stiff again!