Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-15-2010, 12:09 AM Reply   
I've been talking with Ryan at Chucktronics about this a little. I'm interested to see what the other guys are using. Some of this stuff gets pretty deep. I'm wanting to do a little of the RGB stuff on my boat and possibly some for customers.

If you guys don't mind, please share what you're using for the controllers. I think there will be 4 zones for mine at first, maybe a couple more later. I'm just unclear on EVERYTHING that's needed. I'm seeing DMX controllers, then you need a few other pieces, then the LED's. I'm really looking for specific information here if you guys don't mind sharing....

Pics are great too!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
I've been writing the controller functions from scratch on PIC 12F683 microcontrollers, and I've been using phone jacks to carry the 4 wire signal to all the LEDs as it makes it super easy. I'm heading down to my warehouse tonight I might grab some pics and show you how I've been doing it.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-15-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Sounds good... What equipment are you using?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-20-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
191 views and 2 posts.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey John: When I started out I did the same thing I asked around here on W/W to try and find some help/guidance. I didn't get much help here. In fact I have done MANY, MANY, projects Like the Underwater LED test, Sub Woofer Test, Tower Speaker Test, Ect Ect, because the information I was looking for either didn't exist or people didn't feel like helping out? Nothing against you but I personally have done alot of try and help people out/ post information thread's and barley even gotten a Thank You. So I understand when people are not jump out of the wood work to show you how to do what you wanna do.
I started to take picks of projects and put them in my profile so they are there for anyone to look threw to try and help them out. I don't know if you know about them but there is some information to get you going. I don't mind helping people out as long as its somthing that can be shared with everyone so I don't have to answer the same questions over and over. Sort of a sticky or somthing that everyone can get the information when ever they want. Just hate spending a bunch of e-mails back and forth to help just one person out only to have to answer the same questions over again to help the next guy.
Im willing to help you or anyone that needs it.
Grant
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Grant - just FYI - I think a lot of people respect you on this board -- we dont all digitally blow you, but in our heads, we think your a pretty badass guy with some great design skills. Aside from the carbon fibering -- i've used a lot of your tutorials -- pretty much they are my favorite posts on here... and a primary reason i read wakeworld.... I dont think John is trying to be an ass ... I think he's just trying to save money by buying the best controller without buying a bunch of bad stuff. I do the same thing -- often blindly buy what you guys advise as being the best ... mainly cause I dont have the time / funds to try 40 of them

Thanks for all you contribute -- I'll take what your saying and i'll try to share more of the stuff i'm building as well, especially if its noteworthy...

To stay on topic -- I want these RGBs but I have no clue what controller to buy I saw a badass deck setup using these style lights....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdZwc1Fi4Q
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Hell, I looked but had no idea what a RBG controller was. Maybe 191 others were just as dumbfounded. In my many years on the water I have yet to see a LED system. Either it's uncommon or I've gotten old and left on the dock at party time....well, time to do a little skurfin...
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-20-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
Tim, if you look around here you'll see the video's of what these guys are doing. None on my lake either. None in my town, none on my lake, no one has them. This is something that's still pretty new, but a few guys here are doing it and that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

G, I know exactly what you're saying. When I get on here, most of my posts are tech support on stereo's, or somewhere I can help out. I don't e-blow people for their skills or appreciation, but trust me, any info that anyone passes to me is truly appreciated. I guess I'm just looking for this to happen a little quicker. I go in for a 2-part back surgery the second week of June, and when I had the idea to start this project I could've got it done. So much time as gone by now, I don't think I will.

Ryan and I had a long talk the other day, and he gave me lots of ideas. I'm looking for options, or maybe a diagram of what you guys are doing with the controllers, and I mean specifics, like: use ___________ for the controller, and __________ for the piece in the middle (can't think of it right now) between the LED's and the controller. I've looked all over the net, and even have a few distributors, but I can't find anything that looks like what you're using, other than the LED strips. Those aren't the issue, it's the electronics I can't find. I know you posted that person you got you're stuff from, but something doesn't sound right because most of the stuff I'm finding is well over $500, and what you've listed from that local place was less than $150 for the controller and the lights. I'm just looking for clarification, that's all.

Thanks to all that contributed.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-21-2010, 4:24 AM Reply   
I think a lot of people respect the work you do Grant, but you're right, a little praise doesn't hurt now and again.

On another note, I saw this video the other day and thought to myself, "I bet that's Grant's house."
http://www.wimp.com/smacknightclub/
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-24-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I don't e-blow people for their skills or appreciation,
Well I don't know what to say about that comment. It kinda pisses me off that people that people would think me asking for a simple Thanks or someone posting picks of a finished project they got inspration from here as some sort of stroke job. IMO its called common courtesy not a e-blow.

Im just gonna throw that type of comment in the trash and pretend I didn't see it because if I gave it any kind of weight I would just say F this place and not waste anytime posting pick's and information here.

I look at the time I have spent here a good investment in friends. I have met lots of people here threw posting information and sharing what I know. IMO you can't put a price on friendship so its all money in the bank for me. Just trying to lay some ground work. I haven't seen to many people posting up project's ect and mabey that's a reason, I don't know.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-24-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Grant... Just get the new RGD setup done for bumb!! lol

Cant wait to see you there and have a beer my friend!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I appreciate the posts it keeps me informed on whats possible. I looked at the links and it's amazing. Although I'm not into the changing colors linked to music, I like the idea of some red lighting for after dark visibility while cruising in the ski boat or fishing offshore. The ability to then change to something brighter for at the dock unloading, cocktails, watching fireworks on the 4th, or rigging baits is what excites me. LED's stay nice and cool, do not burn out, use less juice, can be run in strings for better distribution and are better sealed to the environments especially saltwater. The idea of saltwater and all that electrical is not so inviting but guys like you will solve these issues and give me a easy plug in solution. Cheers!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-24-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
I didnt' really mean it like that Grant. I'm truly sorry it offended you. You do take a lot of time helping other people on here and I enjoy looking at all your projects. I can't explain that statement and I'm sorry it was posted. It doesn't mean that I'm not appreciative of other people's work. I try to post up things I do to help others out as well, so I know where you're coming from on that end. On another forum, I really only went there to provide tech support on stereo's, but the first time I let out a cussword, or argued with someone, I was banned. Guess my help wasn't needed after all.