Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    kx250frider617            06-10-2013, 7:55 PM Reply   
I was on the Jury box for a DUI hit and run from damaged property. The judge and attorneys were dismissing all these english second language people. Long story short, I was called up. They asked my questions like if I would be biased in anyway to the case. I said Yes. My reason was that my truck was involved in a hit and run twice, both came out of my own pocket. The judge then asked if that would make my decision bias? I said Yes. They then go on saying how people are innocent until proven guilty. I came back with (very non politically correct) I said, If the Defendant is sitting in this court, he must have done something to be there. I already assume him guilty and that nothing will change my mind. They dismissed me 3 seconds later. I was pumped.

Now I understand that in some cases people are charged guilty when they are really innocent but this guy was caught red-handed, blood/ ach content over .08, and proof of hit in run. Yet, the system is so screwed up, they pull 75 people out of work and school, etc for THREE days just to say this guy is guilty when the Judge herself already knows it.

Where is the common sense in our government system.

"HEY look there's a guy running from the cops and is all over the news!!! How about we take him to court and let people decide if he is guilty or not! "

I walked out of that court house like I just stuck it to the man. It made it even better that the defending attorney was laughing at me when I told the Defendant and the judge that I thought he was GUILTY before the court case even started.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-10-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
If your ever thinking about doing some crime do yourself a favor. Go walk Into a court room and take a look at how a "Jury of your Pears " is selected. The people that end up on jury duty IMO are a make up of 2 styles of people. #1 honest people that want to due their civic duty. #2 people to stupid to know how to get out of jury duty. Sadly you have jury's filled with the #2 people.
Every time I went to jury duty person after person that looked and sounded like a smart potential juror they had the perfect excuse NOT to be selected. Watching jury selection was like watching a lesson in how to get out of it. So if your thinking if your ever need the state to conduct a trial with a jury of 12 smart people that will decide your fate your very wrong.

Last edited by grant_west; 06-11-2013 at 7:28 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-11-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
If your ever thinking about doing some crime do yourself a favor. Go walk Into a court room and take a look at how a "Jury of your Pears " is selected....
LOLz, classic gwest typo!

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
How many times have you guys been called for jury duty? I'm 34 and have never been called. I figured that is unusual...a good unusual though.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
How many times have you guys been called for jury duty? I'm 34 and have never been called. I figured that is unusual...a good unusual though.
I was called up within a year of becoming a US citizen. Same for my wife when she was naturalized. That was about 7 years ago, have not been called up since.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
To the OP, I think it would have been a lot cooler if you stuck it to the perp. It would have been a lost day or two but since you seem to be all about justice, you could have made sure a guilty verdict was reached.

I get called up up at least once a year. So far I've never had to serve (self employment excuse). Although I'm thinking about biting the bullet and hopefully buying myself some sort of reprieve with a short little trial. Getting called regularly and getting out of it is starting to cost me more time than just serving.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
Shawn^^^^^ LOL that's a good one! LOL