Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Did they have a big major difference, hull shape, tower , wake shape, motor, storage.......
just let me know because i want to know if i am better to start with a SANTE 01 or go with a new one and lost few dollars if i dont like that boat.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
The wake is no different. In the 05 you will get a center tank 01 doan't have one, also there gauges are nicer. They also have knobs that controls the valves by the driver in a 01 you have to open up a hatch and turn it. One big thing is a perfect pass a 01 might not have one. It comes down to comfort. I have a 01 and a friend has a 05 and I like them just the same.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-19-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
I'll chime in with my limited knowledge.

There is no TE for 01, they are just Super Airs. 02' brought the Sig, Lim, and Team options.

01' was the first year they split the rear hatch into engine and side storage. That is huge!!!

01' may only have the belly ballast tank. Not a big deal if you are willing to install a couple bags in the rear and do some plumbing for auto ballast. 02' on had the wedge tanks in the back. They are nice, but we end up putting more weight on top of them anyway and they don't collapse for storage. I may end up taking the hard tanks out and using larger bags. We add weight to the bow regardless, helps to plane and ramp the wake.

The interior was redesigned in 02' making it a bit larger and adding a bit of storage. Both have your standard V-drive seating config.

01' has the GT-40 engine, which is a good engine. This was replaced by the Excalibur, which is also a good engine. I can't comment on the power differences. Maybe 20hp or so?? I have an Excalibur (330 HP), and have not wanted for power with a fully loaded boat.

Tower is still the same, the FC tower. They changed it in 04', but went back for 05'. 05' has the option for a polished tower, and it looks really nice.

The hull is the same no matter what year.

When we got serious about getting a SAN, it was 01' on up for the split rear deck. The largest differences will be the graphics, the bling (CC is minimal anyway), convenience with automatic ballast, ballast gauges, etc. We ended up with a used 02' with 110 hours, but we paid about 7-10k more for it than an 01, but it was a Team Edition with all the options except the shower. We still paid 15k less than buying new.

The difference in price between a used 01 and new 05 will be in the neighborhood of 20k. What you need to do is wiegh your options and figure what you will have to add to the 01' to make it what you want, things like stereo, ballast, Perf Pass, etc. That can add up, but you may be able to find one with some of this in there. It basically will come down to $$ vs options.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old    jzwake            05-19-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
Flux was pretty correct, I'l just add onto some points:

The 01 SAN hasd rear ballast but no Belly ballast option.

The GT 40 put out 310 HP.

The gauges on the 2001 (digital) were notorious for failing and I hear there was a recall at some point.

Wedge tanks are an option for 02's and up, flat tanks are also availible.

I moved from a 01 to a 05. The 02 + later are much more refined and I love the 330 Excaliber. I would push more for a 02 and up if possible but they will cost a little more.

I have a promo deal and I may be selling my 05' early due to injury.

(Message edited by jzwake on May 19, 2005)
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have an 02', and I have also ridden in the 01', 04', 05'. The 01' seems to be the most solid structurally of all of them. I think when they changed the top deck, it compromised the solidity of the boat. Squid's 01' drives through the chop like a tank while mine tends to rattle more. However, I do think the 04'/05' has a better all around interior.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
I have an 01 and also have ridden/been in 02 & 05. I didn't notice the structural/solidity difference, but agree the 02's are a big leap in interior space over my 01. Personally, I'd opt OUT of a Team Edition so you can install your own center bag, which will most likely hold significantly more weight. I also hate wedge tanks. I run bags on top of my factory square tanks, run more weight than the wedges and still have more room left over than they start with.

According to the 02 brochure the GT40 was still available in 02 but that was its last year. Also, you get the newer graphics on the side rather than the ill-fated "swoosh N".
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-24-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
i got an 00 and they all throw if you weight them. ours was 29k without trailer and 250 plus hours and loaded.
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-24-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
price dependent, go with the 2001 san, it has the larger ski locker, I have 1000pds of ballast loaded in mine. Some people remove the stock 200 pd flat tanks and put in 650's in each locker, 750 is some cases. I currently run over 2500pds of automatic ballast in my boat, acme 644 prop and it throws big, too big for some riders.
If money is no object, order a 05 team without the tanks, and put your own bags in them , especially the ski locker tank, make sure its not installed. You can get more weight into it without the tank, this way you wont have to put a bag in the walkway.

fyi
Mike

Mike
2001 san
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-26-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Mike D can you give me any ideas on the companies that make bags or tanks that fit in the 2000-01 SAN. Mine fill sso damn slow and I want bigger tanks. help please