Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (j_vallely)      Join Date: Oct 2000       05-04-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
I am going to buy a new 05 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. The dealer has a boat that I like but does not have the optional front balast. I have always thought that is was a necessity in the new vlx. Has anybody had any experieces without it? Is it a must have?? or can you get buy with out it, I don't want to have to use portable fatsacs. Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
I demoed one with, and the guy said it is a must. He said it likes a lot of weight up front and that you would almost always want to run more wieght up front.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-04-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
more weight = more wake

no wake = no chicks
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
If you fill the back and use the wedge, you need weight up front, so it is either the hard tank or portable weight.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
the only problem is eventualy you are gonna get more weight anyway unless your crew is clockwork and consists of 8 + people!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-04-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
my rationale would be, that if you are going to ante up to spend for an '05 vlx, why not get one equipped with all the options that you would need to gas and go? plenty of used '05 vlx's will make their way to market in the next couple of months anyway, and trying to sell one later that is not equipped with the mls, might be a little more difficult? either way, still a great boat!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
I agree with Ryan. Weight in the front is a must, especially in that boat. If you don't want to use fat sacs, you need the tanks, and probably a little lead, or the like.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-05-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
weight is necessary in the bow, that was the first place we weighted the 03 VLX. Still have not decided on additional weight in the walkway in addition to the front ballast on the 05 yet.
Old    zboomer            05-05-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
Add me to the list saying you should get the bow ballast. My '05 VLX really likes the weight up front. It's only like a $450 option.

If you try to run the rear ballast and wedge without it, you will be unbalanced. Of course you could stick people, a sack, or lead up there.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-15-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
The '05 VLX that I ride behind has the hard tank in the bow AND a sack in the bow. The boat has a killer wake with the four hard tanks full, sack in the bow, and no Wedge. It's a pretty steep vert wake and is very firm. I would say that you are going to need something in the bow of the new VLX, so I'd get the hard tank if you don't want to keep filling up sacks.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-15-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Get it! Don't even think about it. If yoou are putting weight in the back, and using the wedge, you also need it up front. I have all 4 tanks, but also add extra weigit up front. You will be much happier with the tank. You are buying the best. Don't skimp on ballast! IMO!
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
i dont have it and I run 350 lbs. of sandbags under the seats in the bow and a 600 in the walkway.