Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-09-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
HAHAHA.

I have an 03;' X-2 Guys. Re-doing my ballast, and really want to add a new inlet as the ONE that supports my current 3 stock tanks/sack isnt enough for even them. I'm adding at least 1 pump, thinking maybe 2, and possibly 2 inlets so I can run them both at once(or is one inlet enough for two pumps that are working hard?).

So, whats it take? Big balls or is it fairly easy...get a hole saw, drill a hole, and make sure its sealed properly.... easy peasy? Anyone have a play-by-play with pics of their experience?

Thanks!

Jarrod
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-09-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Scary scary ... but - run the drill in reverse
until you're thru the gelcoat - or you will chip it.

Also - check, check, check before drilling to make sure you're where you want to be ...
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-09-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
It only hurts once! When you decide where you want to drill use a small bit for the center pilot hole. That way you can check inside to see if you want to shift the larger hole to make a better fit. but you can only shift about a inch & still remove the first pilot hole. Then run your cutter backward to score the gel coat so it does not chip out. Then cut as normal.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-09-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
Make sure you run a brass ball valve on the inlet before any hoses....
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
Like Dave said, pilot hole first with a small bit, if it's near the engine compartment measuring from something already going thru the hull or drilling the pilot from the inside out isn't a bad idea if you can. Also masking tape what you're going to drill when you do take the hole saw to it and sand down the edges after drilling (dull edges on the gel will be less likely to flake).
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       08-10-2009, 5:23 AM Reply   
BALLS OF STEEL JARROD!
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
I had to drill holes in the boat also. I used a carbide bit hole saw for the hole. It made a very clean and fast cut. Use a shop vac to suck up all the fiberglass dust while drilling. I got mine at Home Depot. Remember measure 10 times and drill once.

(Message edited by tazz3069 on August 10, 2009)
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
My advice (it's not that scary, you can always refill the hole) is to cover the area and about 6 inches around it with masking tape a few layers thick and then as someone else remarked, run the drill in reverse. Both these actions will help prevent chipping the gel.

Have fun!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Sac up, you can't fix that bastard!!!

Painters tapes will help with chipping. Mask it off, measure 3 times; drink a beer and measure again. Make sure the back is clear.

I sprayed WD40 on it when it started smoking!!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-10-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Thanks Guys!! lol

"Mask it off, measure 3 times; drink a beer and measure again." Best advice, EVAR. So, no 'Shot of Patron' too?
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Shot of Patron' too?

Maybe one or two maximum i think if you want to be sure to make the hole right, because you could end up with a really bad surprise !
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-10-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
I have a older piece of crap so it did not bother me, I've put 4 holes in the hull . With a nice boat I'd probably be scared also!Upload
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-10-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Todd sunk the nail with start hole saw in reverse. even with tape i can chip the gel coat.
Use brass through hull with brass ball valve. Seal it well with 3M marine sealant. Make sure it hont hit anything on trailer bunks loading or unloading. Hole saw is a must not a drill bit. Vaccuum was key reccomedation also while drilling.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-10-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
I drilled the 2" hole in my xstar for the perfect pass while she was on the lift over the water. Its not that big a deal.

btw, drill a piolot hole first.
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-10-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
What pumps are you installing that your factory thru-hull doesn't provide enough volume? I highly doubt that's the issue, so if the only reason you're drilling the hole is to supply more water because you think that's limiting fill speeds, you may want to go back and re-evaluate things.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-10-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Go for it. As others have said run in reverse at least until you get through the gelcoat. I took a sawzall to my brand new boat to install the speakers, then drilled a hole below the waterline for the lights, now it's no biggee.

If you really goof it's not too bad to repair.