Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    phaturn            07-23-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm baisically very new to the sport......
I can get alright air and go wake to wake. I am just about to start learning switch.
I was watching the videos of me and its so obvious that I'm not doing a progressive edge correctly. I guess I'm charging the wake to early...but thats cuz I want BIG AIR! Please help me with some pointers, I can really tell I am ruining my potential by not doing this correctly. (FYI I understand the baisics of a progressive.....is there an easy way to get me to do it right?)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Kyle at TWC suggested short-approach exercises to me. With a seriously short approach, you have no choice but to edge late into the wake.

Come out from the wake 5 to 10 feet at the spray line. Take a breath. Then cut progressively through the wake. You will go UP not OUT.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-23-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
Dane, remember at the Delta with Greg where I named it "Tule Training".

I drove the boat close enough to the tules that he could not cut out very far.
Old    upupnaway            07-24-2004, 4:51 AM Reply   
My lady went to the wakeboard camp and learned a great excercise from PJ marks.
start about 10 feet outside the wake heelside, lean back against the rope, and edge across both wakes without jumping, staying on edge the entire time. it is surprisingly difficult to do if you are used to flattening out at the wake.

When you can cross both wakes on edge without flattening out, increase your angle of approach a little bit each time, and add a push at the wake.
It is going to feel like you are going incredibly slow, and you might not think you have enough speed to clear the wake, but if you continue on that edge, you will accelerate all the way through the top of the wake.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-24-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
i use to turn the board early and go almost perpendicular with the wake, NOT GOOD (unless you want to throw a raley).

i was falling 90% of time on jumps, handles getting away from me and me getting thrown of balance, i was standing tall at the wake, but mostley just w/ the upper body.

check out the Waketricks DVD they have an awesome section on progressive edging! just in 2 days im landing 98% of my jumps and throwing stalefish and front grabs like a pro!
Old    crash_and_burn            07-24-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hey, mike how did u get PJ on the water,, I wasn't sure he even knew how to swim
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-24-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Agree on the short approaches - just make sure you're doing it HS and TS. It seems very cool to load up that line and pop high after so many sessions of charging - landings might even be a little easier because there's not so much velocity across. It's way better to hold a shallow angle through the wake than to start hard and give up edge or tension or pop. Just outside the spray line's perfect.