Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Hey I am looking for good picks of both the new CWB product and the new Slingshot product. I am still undecided what one i want to go with yet. What are your thoughts?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
I dont know man. A lot of praise for the Marius on here... I say demo them both. Thats what I'm doing in the spring.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Yeah dude I work at a wake shop and everyone here rides the Marius and i get crap everyday for wanting to ride the slingshot.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
I ride the Marius Plat, but Slingshot is coming down for our tournament. I might be a Slingshot owner after Christmas!

Dont get me wrong, the Marius is an awesome board. But slingshot seems to be heading in the right path. Now if Slingshot could make some bindings like the Zeus, I would be hooked.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
2 words SLING SHOT!! :-)

seriously there is no reason to ride a non flex board after you ride a flex board!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Natural
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
I just switched over to a slingshot recoil 142 and I love it. My last board was an 04 Marius 142. I thought that my marius landed soft and had great pop, but for my style of riding I can't imagine ever riding anything else. Before I picked up my Slingshot last month I was getting somewhat burned out of wakeboarding because my back and knees were getting so damn sore after every weekend of riding. I can honestly say, that this board made all of the difference in the world with how I felt after a weekends worth of riding. The pop on the recoil is awesome, it feels controlled and consistent. Part of the reason that I was able to get so much more pop on the slingshot was because I was not afraid to take anything out into the flats.

I will sell you my 04 Marius for $225 bucks with some large 04 LF team bindings if you really want the Marius, but I would almost feel guilty selling it to you. I am not trying to put down CWB, I just think that the flex boards (recoil in particular), are the next generation in wakeboards.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Mark, are you joking or serious?

No such thing as a 04 Marius 142!
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
I vote Slingshot. I have been riding a Recoil for this past season and I will not go back to a regular rigid board.The pop is great and the landings are super soft and forgiving. I have noticed that even if you land kind of crazy that the flex of the board will usually let you stick the landing. It is also the most fun board ever for buttering around and doing presses and stuff.

I honestly believe that this is the direction that wakeboards will take in the future. It only makes sense that a wakeboard should have controlled flex just like snowboards, surfboards, etc. That's just my two cents but Ireally believe that the Slingshot guys are onto something big.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 2:39 AM Reply   
Marks favorite rider is Brian Frances...of course he isn'nt serious...
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-28-2007, 4:04 AM Reply   
Has anybody rode a slingshot and not liked it?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Though i want to say "SLINGSHOT 100%" alone, i will say "DEMO If you can" with a slightly louder voice. you, and all of us want to hear you are happy with your choice. IF YOU CANT DEMO, then i will chalk another mark for Slingshot in the running.

Never rode the Marius (though i wouldn't mind trying it out because of the unique rocker pattern), but i have rode two different sizes of both slingshot boards and found the 142 recoil to be to my highest liking, despite it is a larger board than what i normally ride.

i demoed the gear several times throughout the year and once i was stuck taking a longer board out because the others were all rented out. because the board is so unbelievably light i hardly noticed the increased length. I did, however, notice the increased lift i was getting from the board. I want to think that a longer board gives you additional power storing potential like a longer rubber-band as compared to a shorter one... of course there is probably a limit to this idea... i am not promoting the idea of kids hopping on a response 147 or anything. I myself, have a body composition that fits in both the 130-137cm range and the 140-upcm range of boards. ANYWAY, the point is that you may want to try both a size your used to and the next size up if possible.

I don't own a Slingshot yet, but i most definitely will by the begging of next year's season. I agree with mark and vlxray, Slingshot has opened the door to the next wave of wakeboards... Maybe flex boards wont completely replace the more rigged ones, but flex is definitely here to stay and to populate.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Well the shop i work at used to sell slingshot but we sent them back because we could not sell any of them. I was hoping to pro form the new 08 stuff but now slingshot will not even talk to me. I don't think that i could pay $800 for the new setup
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-28-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
I don't get why some people think that $800 retail for a pro level setup from Slingshot is too expensive. If you pay full retail for top of the line gear from any of the big companies your looking at $700 to $800 no problem.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-28-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
Sorry it is an 05, which was the first year of the Marius, and also sorry for not updating my favorite rider. I had a chance to hook up with Brian a few years back when he was sponsored by MC, he came out to my parents lake place and put on a clinic for 6 guys. Not too sure about what he is doing now.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-29-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
atually 06 was the first year for the marius... it had an early release though.

I rode the recoil and the marius exclusively this past summer. I have to say, that I love both boards. They ride very differently though, and would always take me at least half a set to get used to the differences. I have not rode the 08 marius yet however, but I am looking forward to it. I will probally be riding both the marius and the recoil again next summer.
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-29-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Very early release; I got my Marius in June 05. What is it you like about the Recoil? I'm tempted but can't demo.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I have only heard 2 bad things about slingshot and that is the fins come loose because of all the flex and the inner liners of the 07 bindings come loose so you get heel lift because its only held in by Velcro. If they fixed the problem with the boots them I am all about it. I am really curious to see how much the flexes plays a role in the ridding. I have also heard many people say the are landing tricks they have had a hard time landing because the board is so light and it flexes to how you land and saves you sometimes. I am also excited for all the fat slides and presses you can do with it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-29-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Jruss,
did your shop demo the slingshot boards fairly cheap or even for free? I bet more people would have got into it if they could take the board out to try it first.

My nearby shop rented the boards for free... then after the first month into the season or so, after all the word of mouth came in, the shop could hardly keep any boards in the the shop. I am not sure how many they sold, but i know they were selling a great deal of them.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
Yeah the company told us that the shops that do good with them usually have a demo program. We were not able to do that for some reason.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-29-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
well now that the word is out from '07 you might not need a demo program for the '08s to be successful in any store :-)
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
From what I have heard is that you have to give it several sets to like it because it is so different. I wouldn't mind tring one either.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Ok, so now your telling me its an 06 Marius, I guess that's good news for me because I am trying to sell it.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
Hopefully Slingshot will let me proform the gear? If not i will be ridding that new 08 marius with the answers.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
Check www.wake-space.com. They have all the slingshot stuff on clearance. Packages under $500.
Old    jruss            09-30-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I'm feelin the 08 stuff for proform
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Dude the 08 marius has huge pop super soft landing and is a whole lot faster and more loose!!!!! its a bad ass board!!!
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
I know that is why it is such a hard decision. I want them both.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-01-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Start with something new. Slingshot.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
So are you a slingshot rider or someone who works for them?
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-01-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
I'm the in house Rep/Tech guy.

Christopher Schey "Shy"
Rep-Midwest/Tech Consultant
Slingshot Sports
Tel: 1-509-427-4950 ext. 28
Fax: 1-509-427-4566
www.sskiteboarding.com
www.slingshotwake.com

I'm a chill guy just wanting what everybody wants. A good ride...

Upload
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Okay I have two questions:

One: are these boards fast (similar to the roam with the flex and lack of rocker)?

Two: how does 08 line look? I am VERY interested in the slingshot line, but I am always weary of the first year models. Is 08 that much better than 07? Should I hold out?

FWIW I am coming from an old DU lidberg which is almost identical to the GB militant.

If anyone knows where I could score a demo in the Nor cal area please let me know.

Thanks.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
The 08 line looks pretty dope there is a thread on here somewhere that is called 08 Slingshot.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-01-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
All Boards are Dialed - 07/08

But

08 Slingshot boards can be rode by everyone! All non Slingy Bindings Fit.

"NOW EVERYONE CAN RIDE US"

08 RECOIL AND RESPONSE HAVE IT ALL

Industry setup *** ***
SlingShot Setup 88 "4 hole"

08 boots are more snug and more compact + extra's
check www.slingshotsports.com for the lastest and greatest. 08 Website should be up soon. FYI

07 boots are big and cozy but can be a bit harder to get into. Due to the 3 stage lacing system. But you can mod them to make them much easier to get into. PIC INCLOSE> Take out 2 stage replace with snowboard lace to make a 1 lace system. Cut off Velcro strap and even take out the inner lace for a race ready winch board or a looser fit.

PIMP UR BOOTS. u can even color the 07s were the mess is, i have used a black sharpie to do the trick.

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by flexnwake on October 01, 2007)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-01-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
Matt, one of their riders, Jared Couch, came from the DU Lidberg and is now hooked on the Recoil. The boots are easily modified and all the guys/gals I know using them have removed the inner lace and simplified the outer lace. The 08 stuff looked pretty cool but aside from the insert change the boards are identical. If you ever wander down south I know a few guys that would be stoked to have you ride with them and try out the Slingshot. It really is a fun ride.

I'm just like my CWB.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Call me old school but I don't think you should have to customize your $400 bindings with a Sharpie. I would like to check them out before I buy my next setup but no one around here carries them.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-02-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Whats the big difference between the PB bindings and the D2 bindings?
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
PB- Soft boot package for more of a skate-like feel. 2 stage lacing system.
D2- Stiff boot package for more overall response and carving edge to edge qualities. 3 Stage lacing system.

Both share the same benefits of heel hold, overall comfort and natural rider positioning.

Key Features!

*Removable and heat formable ULTRALON EVA INTUITION liner. Custom fit!
*All NEW; Smaller,lighter,and tighter fitting boot.
*Contoured PORON foot bed: Heel wraping support and comfort for those big landings.
*4-hole: Power is transferred from the rider directly to the board.

Upload
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
This is what you'd get when you get your

08's!

Upload
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-03-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
I hope you get some bindings too
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       10-03-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Do you have more pictures of 08 slingshot??
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
I wish someone from slingshot would answer one of my e-mails or calls
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Whats your question you can call me at.

Slingshot Sports
Tel: 1-509-427-4950 ext. 28
Fax: 1-509-427-4566
www.sskiteboarding.com
www.slingshotwake.com

Were a small family and most of us are out on the road right now or sick. Sorry

(Message edited by flexnwake on October 03, 2007)
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Its all good dude Greg just e-mailed me. Well do you know when the 08 stuff will be ready to sell? And I work at a Wakeboard shop in NorCal and i was wondering if I could proform the 142 Recoil with the D2 boots? I think Greg said I could I just want to know when i can get it?
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
Cool

I would think Middle of Oct.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
Awesome so hopefully I can get it by November 1st. That is right when the doctor said I will be ready to ride.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I thought the D2 were black?
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-04-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
D2s are black; that was just the all white boot stand.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
O so it was like the PB and the Jewel. The D2 dont come in white do they? The PB and the D2 are the only guys Boot and the Jewel is the only girls boot right?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I'd demo.... I've got a close friend that's a great rider. He just can't get the Slingshot thing on lock. He keeps trying, but goes back to his regular board.

I do think the flex idea is going places though. I wouldn't be suprised to see a lot of companies following suit in the coming years.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-04-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Correct

Womens-Jewel
D2/PB-Mens

Recoil/Response-Mens
Black pearl/Pink pearl-Womens
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-04-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
I've just got hold of an 07 Slingshot setup (Recoil & Drivers) to demo and I'm wondering what to do with all of the excess cord after tightening the inner lace. There's lots of it. Do you just shove it all down inside the front of the boots before you tighten the outer laces. (I'd remove it if I owned it, but as I don't....)

Thanks in advance.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Hey Slingshot guy (Chris) do you have any pictures of the 08 Recoil and D2 bindings I have seen some but they are not very good. Maybe even the Response?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
shove it on the inside.
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
check this out..you guys !

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=1393

hope its helpful, and you can click on the pictures to enlarge them !
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Thats awesome dude. I hope the D2 are not super super stiff they become a little bit more flexible like the Driver boots right? Can you compare the stiffness to the CWB Zeus at all? Or What binding can you compare them to?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
ok i just got my set up, 07 recoil 142 and driver boots... it is by far the sickest set up ive ever laid eyes on. the board is the widest board i have ever seen, i didnt remember that when i took it for a test run a couple weeks ago. its a whole inch wider than my premier 141 and has wider tip and tail. the board is just sick and cant wait to go ride it next weekend. however the boots are unreal, i wear a size 10.5 to 11 so i bought a size 10 and they were really too tight when i put em on, so i molded them in my oven and they are by far the most amazing boots i have ever worn. im keeping the inner harness cus i think it gives great support. however i did shorten the laces and now they are perfect! i dont think ive ever been so pumped on a set up, oh yeah did i mention the ride is unreal?
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Yea they arent like super stiff....they just arent as soft as the PBs. Like I used to ride LF and I would say they have the stiffness of like a transit..I have never ridden the zeus unfortunately...

but yea they will deff soften up the more you use em, but they will continue to give you lots of support. You can use the inner linner with out the optional ankle support, and that will soften them up some. If you are unsure about those the PB floyds are really comfortable too.

I doubt the D2's would be too stiff specially after you ride em a few times.

both pairs are more comfortable than any bindings I have ever ridden in the past.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-05-2007, 3:25 AM Reply   
Are the 08 bindings that much better than the 07's. The only reason I ask is because buywake is selling 07 board and bindings for $500.
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
well the 07's are sick, but 08's are deff way more fine tuned and give you more options. Thats an awesome deal, and If you go with the 07's i dont think you will be dissapointed.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Also, check www.wake-space.com, all there slingshot stuff is on clearance.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
'08 Zeus and '08 Marius Platinum=PIMP set-up....

Although I do like the removable liners for Slingshot. You can sport 'em like slippers pre-session. LOL!!!
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
'08 Zeus and '08 Marius Platinum=PIMP set-up....

Hell ya I just got the 08 Marius Platinum and would love to get my hands on a pair of the 08 OT zeus in grey. The 07's look great on the board too but I have been a victim of the old hinge that put a huge bruise on the inside of my left leg. I def. agree with the new hinge design. And the way they hid all of the hardware. PIMP is right.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Does anyone have pictures of the 08 recoil and Response? maybe with boots on them.? I also heard that some people were using the smaller fins on the bigger boards and it rode alot better any though on that?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
yeah ride the bigger boards with .75s when i ordered mine i got a choice in fin legnth too which allows you to fine tune even more i went with 8 inch in legnth opposed to 6
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
Go to the front page of wakeboarder.com and there are pictures of 08 recoil and he 08 bindings under the slinghot product review