Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-26-2015, 11:13 PM Reply   

My first post on here. Just bought a "NEW" 2014 Epic 23v from Texas Auto Liquidators. Long ass list of things wrong with this "new" boat. Had it for 6 days and it still wont start. $60,000.00 worth of disappointment so far...

1. Huge rip in the fabric cover.
2. Gelcoat damage from improper towing with cover on.
3. Engine wont turn over or start at all. Completely inoperable.
4. Missing parts list includes:
- Pin for the wakeboard tower. (Cant use it without that.)
- Owners manual, and more...
5. Stereo wont power on.
6. The bimini top was tossed in the bottom of the boat and it grinded a nasty 8 inch long patch in the gelcoat on the floor for the entire 2000 mile trip.
7. Trailer is completely missing one light and one reflector.
8. Trailer has been in some sort of accident where it was dented on the step just ahead of the fender.
9. Engine is throwing NINE different codes!!! Are you serious??? YES. NINE.
10. Rear swim step has multiple stress fractures looking like a spiderweb. Looks like it was backed into something.
11. Small hole on the driver seat left armrest. This is a very noticeable location for a hole.
12. Various nuts, bolts and washers scattered under seats, on the floor, etc. Sloppy.
13. One of the chrome center caps on the wheel is cracked almost completely in half.
14. Foam seal on the center window is peeled of about 3-4 inches down and mangled up.

To be clear I dont blame Epic Boats for the problems. This dealer didnt do a pre-delivery inspection and sold me a boat that was misrepresented. In the meantime I`m burdened with taking pictures and typing descriptions of all the problems and tracking down a mechanic that can fix their mess.
Any thoughts?
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-27-2015, 12:27 AM Reply   
Did you see it before you bought it? Doesn't sounds like you lake tested it if STILL wont start. But, for a 1 year old boat, sure sounds like a long list of problems. Id be all over the phone with as high up of people as I could get. If that doesn't work I would be in their driveway.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-27-2015, 12:37 AM Reply   
Sorry to say just did a google search to find out about who they were and found several stories similar to yours, here is a sample https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourc...fa503beeb722,1 I would be getting lawyer-ed up or get some real good advice before proceeding with these guys by the looks of it.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-27-2015, 12:49 AM Reply   
You bought the boat 2000 miles away? What did they send your for pictures, info, documents, etc? Texas Auto Liquidators has a handful of complaints on the BBB website and mostly negative reviews on google, a few of them sound a bit similar to your situation with lots of promises and little fulfillment.

There are a ton of unanswered questions here... Can you post pics of the boat/damages?

1. Assuming you had it shipped, did the shipping company do an assessment before transport of the boat? They probably would note a cover tear.
2. The cover damaged the gel?
3. This is going to sound stupid, but batteries are all healthy and connected? That's always first. Second thing would be the killswitch.
4. Was the tower folded in transit?
5. See number 3. Have you used a multimeter at all to test if anything is even getting power beyond the batteries (assuming they're alive)
6. This might be worth taking up with whoever got the boat to you (freight company?)
7. back to number 1.
8. Also, number 1.
9. The dealership didn't disclose this at all? Was the boat advertised with 0 hours?
10. Not visible in the pictures?
11. Define "small hole"
12. More concerning than sloppy. Those belong somewhere...
13. Related to the accident-like trailer damage?
14. This seems like the easiest fix of any. Strange that it's even a problem though.

I agree that you were sold a boat that was misrepresented, however I'm curious about how you bought it. eBay? Their website txcars.net pulls up a 2014 23v. Is it the teal one? If so, then I can actually see in those photos the missing trailer light. Can't really tell on the platform and seat, and everything else isn't pictured. Have yuo spoken with the dealer since you received the boat? Will they warranty any of the damages? The more reviews I read, the less this sounds like you're going to come away with an easy resolution.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-27-2015, 12:54 AM Reply   
Link to what I assume is the boat you purchased: http://www.txcars.net/web/new/-Epic-...Texas/1712804/
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2015, 3:00 AM Reply   
You seem like a unprepared whiner, you bought a boat site unseen from a liquidator. Caveat emptor baby
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-27-2015, 5:24 AM Reply   
Sorry you got hosed on the deal, but I wouldn't buy a $2k boat sight unseen over the internet much less a 60k boat. I would have at least flown down to see it first hand and take it for a test drive.
Also, a little research on who you are dealing with was probably needed.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-27-2015, 6:03 AM Reply   
The boat's still under warranty. Can't you just pop on down to your local Epic dealer and get all this sorted out? Oh.......
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I too purchased a boat sight unseen and spent the next few seasons telling anyone who would listen not to do the same. The good news is that eventually everything gets sorted out. As others have said, if they exist, the pre- and post-ship inspection documents would help you sort out responsibility between the shipper and the seller. Good luck man, and welcome to the forums.
Old     (LanceM)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-27-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
Pixs of the carnage would be nice...

Some of the stuff sounds serious... And some of it repairable... If you are stuck with the boat... Get us some pix and let us start trying to help solve some of the issues you have...

Agree with the dealer idea... I would start with the motor... And I would check the battery's first!

PIX!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
Typical WW... better be ready to validate all your statements to the WW code of ethics.

Bummer on the boat, hopefully going straight to the source will help sort out your problems.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-27-2015, 7:41 AM Reply   
Holy cow! Who pays $60k for an Epic!!!! Good luck with this one. Your kinda screwed though it sounds to me. But with a little time and money u will be able to get this thing running but in the end it will still be an epic. There's a reason they went out of business....
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-27-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
Epic went out of business?
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-27-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Epic wasnt out of business back in March. I called and spoke with their head of engineering.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-27-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
I still get service on my EPIC. I haven't heard this rumor about going out of business? Sorry to hear about your new purchase, I hope you get it worked out. If you can get in contact with Gary at EPIC he has always been really helpful. I have had a few small issues on mine like the board rack handles breaking because they are plastic but over all i have had a great experience with my 21V.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-27-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
Epic still is in business. They are making tons of their new fishing boats. Maybe they stopped doing wake boats? Not sure on that one....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-27-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
on the tower pin it looks like that boat has an illusion tower?

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1689
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-27-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
I will say that Epic in the link someone posted above is the nicest Epic I have seen.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If it bought was bought under the assumption that it was "new" than you should expect a perfectly good boat but if you bought it as a repo, well than buyer beware.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-27-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
Sorry your having problems with your brand new boat but I can't help but say or think what others here has said "why would you buy a boat sight unseen" Unless it was some crazy good deal$$$ and you had a reputable dealer or brand that could stand behind any issues that might pop up I would steer clear, sorry that doesn't help you now. I hope you can get the issues resolved
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-27-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
Sorry if spreading misinfo. Heard this from another dealer that epic out of wake boat building.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-27-2015, 11:32 AM Reply   
You bought an EPIC........that was your first (and Biggest)mistake.
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       05-27-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
As I was reading all the Epic hate there was a Pavati Ad above one of the posts... Seemed funny.

Now, I would have a problem buying something site unseen for 60k but if I had the funds and it was a good deal I would do it. Bought a couple cars in the 20k range that way an never got burned but I don't have 60k cash to throw around just yet.

On the other hand, all signs pointed to them marketing these boats as new. Typical shady used car nonsense. Disclose as little as possible, wait for "correct" buyer, and then play defense.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-27-2015, 12:47 PM Reply   
Here is their disclaimer from their website:

DEALER makes no representations, expressed or implied, to any actual or prospective purchaser or owner of this vehicle as to the existence, ownership, accuracy, description or condition of the listed vehicle's equipment, accessories, price, specials or any warranties. Any and all differences must be addressed prior to the sale of this vehicle.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-27-2015, 1:11 PM Reply   
Trey - Gary now works for Pavati so gets even more ironic as that's who Chase recommends as the "goto" man BTW Gary been there for at least 2 years Chase. Ron - EPIC posted a fresh advert for the wake boat on the 5th of May so looks like the dealer was talking about Toyota EPIC or a hole in his backside but they are def still selling truck loads of center console boats
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-27-2015, 2:16 PM Reply   
Sorry for trying to help out. it has been a while since I spoke with Gary but when i purchased my 13 he was there and was a big help. I was under the understanding that he was part owner of EPIC boats. Guess that's out the door too.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
Gary was never an owner at Epic that I know of but he probably made it sound like he was. LOL! That guy is the biggest sales shark that ever lived! He made so many promises to my buddy over the years and I think only 1 ever worked out. From what I can tell, Epic only cares about their successful center console fishing boats that they are now making. I think they have made more of those than they ever made wakeboard boats. It's a shame, their boats had so much potential if they had just gotten the quality under control and kept up with the times.
Old     (LanceM)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-28-2015, 11:47 AM Reply   
Timmy... That is alot of opinion.... Do you have any facts that could back up what your saying? I have seen them hitting the market big time with there fishing boats, but that is really all I have to go on... Do you know of anything else?

LanceM
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2015, 12:11 PM Reply   
I don't have any numbers or written documentation, just that a year ago my buddy was all set to buy a brand new Epic after he had been promised a deal (and sold his '07 23V) and then when he went to order it, Gary was gone and replaced by a new guy (that is probably in his 60's?) and they were like $15k more than the deal that Gary promised them. He then talked to Karen that worked there and if I remember right, she was being pushed out which sucked because it was her garage that Chris Anthony built the first boat in or something like that. When he pressed to get the deal that Gary promised, they told him that Gary had made all kinds of deals and promises that the company would have never honored. The one deal that he did get was that they replaced the cap and interior for free when the boat was about 5 years old but it took him almost that long to get them to do that.

Last edited by timmyb; 05-28-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
It was the "new" guy that told us that they were focused on center consoles now and that's the reason he was brought in, he had 40 years of fishing boat sales experience or some crap like that.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 11:09 PM Reply   
Sorry to take so long to come back. Dealing with this crap.
Saw it on ebay and bought it directly knowing that I have seen the comany on ebay for years and thinking I was buying a NEW boat from a brand and dealership that gives a crap. WRONG....
Yes, checked all batteries, they were discharged and I meticulously slow charged them for over 6 hours exactly as a good boat mechanic said to do. I`m not new to boats and neither are my friends. We spent days trying to find a switch, fuse or other issue. Checked all connections we could find, traced wires etc.
The hauler was an old guy in an Escalade. I didnt have to sign for it at all but I mentioned the damage right away. He drove off before I had time to get the cover off.

Tower was upright in transit.
#10, #11 this damage would be hard to see unless you were 2 feet away with the camera, but damage is damage.
#12, it seemed like extra washers and screws that fell in cracks and crevaces that ratted out of hiding after the road trip. The boat seemed to be correctly assembled from what I can tell.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 11:13 PM Reply   
Oh and EPIC had a hand in all of this. They said they knew that these boats were repoed from a dealer that went out of business and given to Texas Auto Liquidators to sell. Yes, mine is the Teal blue one. I`m starting to hate the color... Normally my favorite.
Basically these guys want ME to run around mopping up this mess. Yesterday I told them (Both TAL and Brad from EPIC) that no local dealer could touch it for 2 weeks and they said that they would find a solution today and call me back. Well guess what, its 11:11PM as I type this and NO CALL from EITHER.
Yes I`m lawyers up, but that solution will take months. I want to get back out on the water soon. Might have to use my old boat or take a risk and buy another and HOPE they take this thing back or wait to win the legal battle. -JJ
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 11:17 PM Reply   
@ Darren Yearsley
Normally NEW isnt open to interpretation. Thanks for kicking me when I`m down. Much appreciated man.
Oh and yes the name is "liquidators" but that means nothing here. If you had bothered to check you would have seen that they are an authorized dealer as shown on EPICs website.

Last edited by SICKSPEED; 05-28-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Needed to add info
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 11:25 PM Reply   
This was never disclosed as any kind of "repo" before purchase. Brad from Epic told me over the phone after it arrived here with problems. Slso EPIC didnt use that that term. They said something like took it back from a dealer or bought it back. I used to term "repo". Just to be clear. Even though I`m extremely pissed about the situation, I dont want to be careful to post the truth. Also these guys have said that they "will make it right" but it seems to me they only intend do that by making me do all their work running around fixing their problem boat....
No actual promises have been made still.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 11:33 PM Reply   
Epic is still selling wake boats and in fact I talked to dealers with 2015 and 2016 models on order. Toyota Epic is no longer in business.
I looked up Texas lemon law and this deal might be going that route...
To be clear, the boat seems well made and has awesome features. For $60 it seemed like a good deal. Just seems that this particular one was run thru the mud before it got here. I`ll reserve my final judgement for now and wait a bit longer to see if EPIC gives a crap about their reputation or not.
Anyway I hear they make good fishing boats. Maybe I`ll just throw an outboard on it and see if I can hook some bass...
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-29-2015, 5:23 AM Reply   
I don't understand why people are giving you a hard time, Wait yes I do...... This wakeworld where every boat besides Supra, the G and MB are a piece of ****. Everyone is a pro and everyone has more superior knowledge than the next.

I hope you get everything fix. Boat ownership is supposed to be fun. I hope you get it all worked out and EPIC stands behind their boat. Good luck
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2015, 6:02 AM Reply   
JJ - I hope you continue to post in this thread, and I also hope that you get your issues worked out.

My suspicion is that when you start pushing you're going to get the old blame game. Epic - "the boat wasn't damaged when we sent it to the dealer - this is not warranty related and is between you and the dealer." Dealer - "the boat ran fine and looked perfect when it left our store, it's the shipper's fault." Shipper - "I just delivered what I was given, I have no idea who is responsible, but it's not me."

First thing I'd do is try to see whether or not the Texas lemon law applies to boats. Second, look to see whether the lemon law in your jurisdiction applies to boats. If the lemon law applies, generally you have to take a boat in for the same warranty repair 3 times to the same dealer or the boat has to sit at a dealer without being repaired for 30 or 60 days. In most instances, only then can you demand a buy back.

This thread will be helpful in educating people as to: (1) why it is always important to inspect and demo a boat before you buy; (2) the risks you run when not buying from a local dealer; (3) the lack of effective product support that can occur when no dealer that carries your brand is located nearby; and (4) the problems you can run into when shipping a boat cross country.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-29-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
I recently had a great deal of involvement with a 2013 EPIC 23V. I know that none of the MN inboard dealerships will touch the warranty work with a 10 foot pole. Apparently Epic is notorious for not paying up for "warranty work". That said the 2013 EPIC I was involved with was a good looking boat. I also found that if you called their factory direct and asked to talk to the line manager he was pretty good about communication.

PS- Pretty *****ty for kicking him while hes down @ Darren Yearsley. Hopefully people are nicer to you when you have a bad stroke of luck.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2015, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKSPEED View Post
Epic is still selling wake boats and in fact I talked to dealers with 2015 and 2016 models on order.
I never said that they weren't making them anymore, I said that the sales guy told us they were refocusing their efforts on fishing boats.

Good luck with getting your issues taken care of. I think once you get it all fixed you will enjoy the boat. It's been argued to death on here but I still love that transom speaker setup over tower speakers.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Certainly, though, there are ways to increase your "luck":

Quote:
This thread will be helpful in educating people as to: (1) why it is always important to inspect and demo a boat before you buy; (2) the risks you run when not buying from a local dealer; (3) the lack of effective product support that can occur when no dealer that carries your brand is located nearby; and (4) the problems you can run into when shipping a boat cross country.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-29-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the support guys. Chattwake, you are so right. I also hope this can help someone.
I have a call into the Texas Dealer investigator. I got the boat to a local dealer now but they wont have the G3 tool they need to scan it till some time next week...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Mastercraf_X5 View Post
PS- Pretty *****ty for kicking him while hes down @ Darren Yearsley. Hopefully people are nicer to you when you have a bad stroke of luck.
Yeah, was a bit harsh but I don't have a lot of time for people that make there own luck then get all dramatic about it rather than just help themselves to find a solution.

Most of the stuff on the list seems like an easy fix to me and the other things can be resolved with some mechanical support not crying on the Internet.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-29-2015, 12:52 PM Reply   
I guess I don't see it so much as crying on the internet. More doing a public service for anyone who may be considering doing business with this dealer.

There seems to be plenty of negative out there on these guys, so also a great reminder to do some research before you do business with a new dealer.
Old     (hferrell12)      Join Date: May 2015       05-29-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
You should really check the batteries, look for a Perko switch which could be set on OFF. which would give you no juice anywhere. Might just solve 50% of your problems real fast. If you have 2 batteries, you basically have to have a switch, that way you can turn the system to Batt #2, get drunk and swim for 5 hours while listening to Bone thugs & absolutely kill the battery. Then switch back to Batt #1 & crank it up and drive home. That switch will also have an "all" and OFF. And will likely be atleast 4-6" in Diameter to handle a very high current load.

I don't know anything about the FMV on an Epic, but I'm assuming you got a deal (or at least felt like you did) if you were willing to take the risk buying it sight unseen and having it shipped 2,000 miles? Atleast there's some room left to fix the stuff & still not be too far under water.

I buy boats sight unseen all the time, I have driven to every 3 surrounding states of Arkansas to purchase a boat, and they are ALWAYS slightly worse than expected....But I go into it knowing its a partly a piece of **** & that I can probably fix it.

Here's my list of suggestions:
1. Go to auto zone/tractor supply and get a light for the trailer. it's not even worth talking about.

2. Get over the "tarp damage" on the gelcoat, because you basically have no choice. Go use it 3 times, I sure you'll mess something else up and forgive yourself for that too. I know

3. Turn on the perko and start the engine.

3. If that doesn't work. Take it to a dealership, wait your turn, and pay. take it up with EPIC afterwards.

4. Isolate the issue with Texas Auto/ EPIC dealer to the torn Bimini top & Engine codes.

After you get all that **** settled, politely ask for a manual.
Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
JJordan - I agree with Chattwake as well.

Additionally, I have also purchased boats and vehicles across the internet, and I have encountered issues with people misrepresenting condition. I have even had problems with hiring local dealerships to correctly inspect before I purchased. Clearly, the best thing to do is go there in person and take out on the water. HOWEVER, people need to stand by their word and representations, and if they don't they should be held accountable (which it sounds like is an issue for this dealer).
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-29-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
The Perko switch is down in the far back rear passenger side hatch. You have to take the flooring section out to get to if I remember correctly on the 2013 23V. I just remember thinking it was TERRIBLY placed if you ever put gear in there.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-29-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
Good advice guys. I'm mostly on here to share my experience with others.
I paid 60,000 for the boat. Stcker was $80,000. I thought it was a good deal. The part I didn't factor in was that "new" seems to be wildly open. To interpretation these days.
Truth is the boat would have been great other than a boatload of problems I have to spend the next few weeks fixing. Oh and yes, I DID turn the batteries on way before I posted and tested them, and charged them and retested them and they are perfectly fine. The boat still won't turn over and the stereo won't even power on, but all other accessories work fine. What good is 4000 lbs of ballast with no engine, lol. Can someone tel me if my tower is a monster, illusion or what? I'm not sure what to believe at this point. There's a link to boat pics in a post above... thx.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2015, 9:40 PM Reply   
What brand is the engine? Call the manufacturer.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-30-2015, 2:34 AM Reply   
I hope that story turns to a good end.

P.S. Just don't forget the power throttle in the neutral position ;-).
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-30-2015, 3:11 AM Reply   
Mercrusier Scorpion so any Merc dealer can should be able to sort it
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-30-2015, 3:43 AM Reply   
OMG if it's the kill switch lanyard or a non neutral throttle I'm going to laugh my ass off.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-30-2015, 12:33 PM Reply   
Yeah as I said I`m a long time boater. Tried the neutral thing, matter of fact tried all finds of forward and reverse positions as well just for good measure. The lanyard switch has been set to on the whole time as well, but yes I have to agree that would have been funny. Since they didnt bother to include a manual that could have been the problem if they had sent this boat to a rookie.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-30-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
I guesse you could call that an epic nightmare
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-30-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Main circuit breaker on the engine? Trips out the bottom when the button is pushed. Hard to see unless you know what it looks like.

Doesn't explain the stereo but you won't get any power to the engine or starter if that's tripped.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       05-30-2015, 7:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Bstroop.
I found a circut breaker with a single red button on it. I push in the button and it doesnt seem to do anything. I noticed a boat mechanic pushed it and said, "This isnt tripped". It could perhaps be faulty though at this point. Time will tell. The guys at Dons Dry Dock are gonna check it out next week.

Last edited by SICKSPEED; 05-30-2015 at 7:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-30-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
The red button needs pushed in. This allows the tripped black bar to be pushed back in.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-30-2015, 9:36 PM Reply   
The red button trips the breaker and a little bar sticks out the bottom when pushed. Pushing the button doesn't reset it, you have to push the little bar back in from the bottom. If the mechanic just pushed the button thinking it would reset he probably tripped it. Look at the bottom of the breaker and see if a little bar is sticking out of the bottom. If there is fold it up back into the breaker. It's not like a regular breaker that pops out. I'd take a picture of it tripped but my current boat doesn't have one.

Learned that lesson after a day of troubleshooting on my first boat.

Last edited by bstroop; 05-30-2015 at 9:43 PM.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2015, 4:59 AM Reply   
Holy snikies JJ, sorry to hear your new Epic has been such an ordeal! I will look into this situation tomorrow. But please tell Brad to CC me on any communications with you so I can stay in the loop. It is PRIME wake season now so I HATE seeing our boats out of the water for any reason. It sounds like the boat was neglected well before it was delivered to you and I'm not sure the channel you purchased it through does the typical dealer work of water testing and customer training...

I can tell you that, in general, no boat is ever received by a dealer in 100% perfect condition. There is just too much time and travel between our factory quality tests and the dealer receiving our boats(even though every Epic is water tested and goes through a several pages long QC check before leaving the plant) . Having this boat go through a couple more hands and a LOT more distance before getting to you makes things even worse(along with possible use/neglect at the original dealer). In the end we expect our dealers to recheck every boat they receive and give test drives to any potential owners along with "on the water" training upon delivering any boat to a rider. I'm sorry you did not get the benefit of starting out with an experienced dealer. In the end, we will help you get this boat right and you on the water ASAP.

And I haven't throughly digested this thread yet, but can say; Epic is building more Wake Boats than it EVER has(along with a lot of our new Fish Boats) and we will continue to expand our dealer base for these boats along with continuing to innovate in any way possible to push Wake Sport and enhance riders' wake experiences. If you are ever in Vivian, LA, please come and visit our plant to see how much we've grown in the past few years. You will, hopefully, leave impressed realizing I started with an idea born right here on WakeWorld
Old     (MalibuGold)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-01-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Texas Auto Liquidators should be put out of business. They have no ethics. I was looking at a LSV on ebay. I was going to bid on it because it was cheap but luckily they were right down the road from me. Actually about 20 minutes away. First off they had a guy in the parking lot spray painting a car door right on the vehicle in the open air out of a van. The facility looks like a homeless shelter, they basically have one area that is nice for pictures. Keep in mind there may be more than one facility but this was the one I was at. The pictures made it look like a brand new boat. When I got there the boat was trashed (but they made it look like new in the pics) - can you say photo shop? I was just down the road but was so pissed I went inside and asked how they could misrepresent something so bad. The guy completely blew me off. I didn't' buy anything so I didn't file a formal complaint, but I thought it was pertinent to this conversation. Crooks!
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-01-2015, 9:51 AM Reply   
When the mechanic pushed the red button he tripped the circuit breaker. Slide up the black bar underneath the button to reset it.
Old     (LanceM)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-01-2015, 12:58 PM Reply   
For current epic owners... please enlighten me where this all important red button breaker is at.....

8.1 Horizon...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
Most of those problems sound like a pretty easy fix, just will take a little time. Not a bad trade off for a good deal. A merc dealer will diagnose the engine and just bill merc for the warranty claim. Shouldn't be much drama. It's likely something stupid and the engine is fine.
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-01-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
seems like with your 60k you could have gotten something that you could have tested, maybe a slightly newer of the big three which just have a better reputation...
Old     (CaptainYARRR)      Join Date: May 2015       06-01-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
If the red circuit breaker is tripping that's not the fix...that's a sign there's a bigger problem elsewhere.
Old     (Epic21v)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-01-2015, 5:06 PM Reply   
The red circuit breaker is in the port side locker tucked up on the outside in our 21v. I would assume it is in the same place on the 23v.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-01-2015, 6:15 PM Reply   
That's pretty awesome that the owner of EPIC posted on here to help out!!!
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2015, 7:42 PM Reply   
Glad I saw this thread. I was getting ready to buy a boat on ebay from them and have it shipped about a thousand miles to me. Not anymore.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-01-2015, 8:57 PM Reply   
^^^^ I hope your kidding
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       06-01-2015, 9:59 PM Reply   
Well CLA17 so far I have gotten a lot of "oh we will make it right" but I`m still sitting here with no boat. Judging by what MalibuGold said these guys are planning on selling the rest of the Epic boats they have in similar condition. You might want to have someone fly (or drive) out there and see whats going on. I`d be happy to forward you the emails I sent to brad and Texas Auto Liquidators but I just need an address to send it to.
Btw dont this thing come with a remote for the stereo and a set of covers for the trailer uprights? Seems odd that I would have to scratch the boat up putting on the trailer for the first time.
Ironically a friend of mine offered to give me a set that say "Moomba" on the side...
PS - Are there any other parts I`m missing here? Front seat filler perhaps?
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       06-01-2015, 10:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterdamn View Post
seems like with your 60k you could have gotten something that you could have tested, maybe a slightly newer of the big three which just have a better reputation...
You are so right. Hindsight is 20/20. I`m a busy guy and I didnt wanna take the time driving hours out of my way looking at used boats so my logic told me that a new boat would be relatively trouble free. Thats why I chose this boat. For $60k, a new condition last-years-model boat would have been a good deal. Same money I`d have to pay for s 6-7 year old Wakesetter anyway right?
At this point I sure wish I would have gone some other route. Memorial day is behind us now and day 10 coming to a close, boat is still with the mechanic waiting for them to get the software needed just to diagnose the problem. Sure hope they dont have to order parts...
To be fair I`m just venting my current thoughts. At this point I`m trying to keep an open mind about somebody "making this right". I`m not trying to bash Epic boats. It seems like it would be a great boat if it wasnt neglected for the last year and a half. My main advice at the moment is beware of Epics authorized dealers. Hopefully there arent any others as unprofessional as this...
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       06-01-2015, 10:21 PM Reply   
Oh and can anybody tell me if my tower is supposed to come with a mirror? I thought this was the upgraded tower and that it came with one.
If not, where could I buy one that would fit like OEM?

Last edited by SICKSPEED; 06-01-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2015, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla17 View Post
Holy snikies JJ, sorry to hear your new Epic has been such an ordeal! I will look into this situation tomorrow. But please tell Brad to CC me on any communications with you so I can stay in the loop. It is PRIME wake season now so I HATE seeing our boats out of the water for any reason. It sounds like the boat was neglected well before it was delivered to you and I'm not sure the channel you purchased it through does the typical dealer work of water testing and customer training...

I can tell you that, in general, no boat is ever received by a dealer in 100% perfect condition. There is just too much time and travel between our factory quality tests and the dealer receiving our boats(even though every Epic is water tested and goes through a several pages long QC check before leaving the plant) . Having this boat go through a couple more hands and a LOT more distance before getting to you makes things even worse(along with possible use/neglect at the original dealer). In the end we expect our dealers to recheck every boat they receive and give test drives to any potential owners along with "on the water" training upon delivering any boat to a rider. I'm sorry you did not get the benefit of starting out with an experienced dealer. In the end, we will help you get this boat right and you on the water ASAP.

And I haven't throughly digested this thread yet, but can say; Epic is building more Wake Boats than it EVER has(along with a lot of our new Fish Boats) and we will continue to expand our dealer base for these boats along with continuing to innovate in any way possible to push Wake Sport and enhance riders' wake experiences. If you are ever in Vivian, LA, please come and visit our plant to see how much we've grown in the past few years. You will, hopefully, leave impressed realizing I started with an idea born right here on WakeWorld
If the founder and CEO of another brand posted on here, it would be celebrated and talked about for years. I am surprised NO ONE commented on this...

I am impressed Chris, I will hit you up the next time I am down south for a plant tour. Any plans for midwest dealers?

To the original poster, I hope some of your issues can be resolved quickly. There is nothing worse than making a new purchase and having it "not right."
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-02-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Btw dont this thing come with a remote for the stereo and a set of covers for the trailer uprights?
A remote would likely be an option and wasnt ordered by the original dealer.

Most trailer manufacturers do not supply any more that the naked PVC pipes on the steel pole guides. The selling dealer will often times put them when a deal is inked, or offer them for purchaser for a price.

A mirror is also typically an option, not standard. So without looking at the original build sheet, its hard to say if it was ordered or not. They usually come stowed in the boat and get put on when the dealer rigs the boat.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
If the founder and CEO of another brand posted on here, it would be celebrated and talked about for years. I am surprised NO ONE commented on this...

I am impressed Chris, I will hit you up the next time I am down south for a plant tour. Any plans for midwest dealers?

To the original poster, I hope some of your issues can be resolved quickly. There is nothing worse than making a new purchase and having it "not right."
I did, 6 posts up from yours. It seems Texas Dbag auto is not worthy of selling boats advertised as "new".
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-02-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
I reviewed your pics JJ and this just SUX... Gladly, I have to blame most of this on transport and ill care during the move from the previous dealer. Brad(our dealer service rep at the plant) seems to be on this and the dealer is being very helpful. We have verified the proper condition on the two other transferred boats they have and they are purchasing new boats that will NOT have these handling and engine problems.

I will check on the stereo remote but don't know it has depended on what type of head unit it has come with. And the trailer pads are dependent on the trailer type, which is regional because of state trailer specs, some just use PVC or round tube steel.

But I'd advise ANYONE considering one of our boats to please go see the boat first. Drive it, Ride it, and hopefully love it enough to make a purchase. This applies to ANY boat you are looking at as marine products are simply a different breed and are not transported or stored as easily as cars and trucks. "Site unseen" type purchases should be done with AT LEAST an independent mechanic going to inspect the boat. Most any car inspector could send you a detailed report on the condition of a boat you're looking at for a couple hundred bucks(sometime as low as $70 depending on the area). They don't have to know boats to get you detailed pics of all the running components, interior, and exterior while also having the dealer start it up for them and possible even a quick water test. I have made BIG purchases "site unseen" before but I had enough info to feel comfortable and have never been surprised with a products condition. Buying new does get you the engine and factory warranty but that can still leave you with a lot of little issues that might not be worth your time. If you KNOW what your getting and the price is right then you will not be unpleasantly surprised.

And YES, I have MUCH love for WakeWorld and the community that has made it great for soooooo many years. It is the people here that inspired me to chase this dream. And though I rarely post(as it always seems to be a conversation killer), I do keep an eye out and appreciate all the love(and criticism, because it makes our products better) that we have received here. I look forward to the next chapter in Epic's life and how the WW crowd will respond
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       06-02-2015, 12:40 PM Reply   
Honestly this thread is TL;DR for me past the first few posts, but:

1. Considering how vast and spread out the community here on WW is, did you bother posting up to see if anyone local could check it out for you? Because I literally live 5 miles down the road from that dealer and would've been more than happy to swing by and check it out for you before you got yourself into what seems to be a massive headache.

2. With that being said, I bought a 2009 VW Jetta TDI from them last year. While it wasn't perfect, it was exactly as described in the add and in surprisingly good condition for a car that had 120k+ miles on it. I've put another 26k on it in the last year and haven't had any issues with it besides clipping a curb and busting a rim (my fault). While everyone hates used car dealers, I didn't have any issues with those guys. Not defending them by any means as you seem to have gotten hosed. Guess maybe I was one of the lucky few.
Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       06-02-2015, 2:58 PM Reply   
My trailer didnt even have PVC. Just two steel rods sticking up. Seems like the first time I rub on them I`ll be having a bad day considering my rub rail is chrome.
I see your point CLA17 but buyer beware doesnt (and shouldnt) have to apply to new vehicles.
Whats especially concerning is that it was KNOWN to Epics AND TAL that the boat possibly had missing parts. The first thing Brad told me was that other boats that came from the same source had missing parts, and to check and see if it even had an ECU.
To say that TAL is being helpful means little to me. OF COURSE they are being helpful NOW that they took my $60,000.00 and they are wanting to avoid a lawsuit of lemon law scenario.
CLA17 I can tell that you care about your company and your customers, but TAL is a good example of a dealership that only cares about one thing. Money.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-02-2015, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKSPEED View Post
My trailer didnt even have PVC. Just two steel rods sticking up. Seems like the first time I rub on them I`ll be having a bad day considering my rub rail is chrome.
I see your point CLA17 but buyer beware doesnt (and shouldnt) have to apply to new vehicles.
Whats especially concerning is that it was KNOWN to Epics AND TAL that the boat possibly had missing parts. The first thing Brad told me was that other boats that came from the same source had missing parts, and to check and see if it even had an ECU.
To say that TAL is being helpful means little to me. OF COURSE they are being helpful NOW that they took my $60,000.00 and they are wanting to avoid a lawsuit of lemon law scenario.
CLA17 I can tell that you care about your company and your customers, but TAL is a good example of a dealership that only cares about one thing. Money.
The CEO of the company you're bashing comes to your rescue and you're still a salty ********..

Show some appreciation. SMH
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-03-2015, 4:01 AM Reply   
Rescue? Sounds like the blame game is firing up. If epic wanted to make this right it would fly a rep down with the correct diagnostic gear and get this boat running. That's standing behind your product. The op is finding out why you should never buy a boat brand that doesn't have a local dealer who can handle the warranty issues that are going to crop up.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-03-2015, 4:43 AM Reply   
I completely agree with Chat. It's awesome that the CEO is on here and all but we still have an issue here that needs to get worked out and fast! U asked about Malibu, no I don't think a 6-7 yr old Bu would be that price. And u know what else, BU or any of the other main boat manufacturers out there likely wouldn't be letting a "authorized" dealer get away with this kinda crap either! epic u need to step in on this and do what u can to get this boat running like it did when it supposedly left your factory. And u need to quit letting greedy unscrupulous "used car" dealers selling your products as new.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-03-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
They should be sending someone with a new boat to his house to take back the lemon. If I was him, I would be demanding a new boat(via lawyer).