Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
What's the general consensus on the Toyota Epic boats. I've heard they are great for fuel efficiency...but may leave something to be desired with their wake and power. Here's a boat for sale for $25,000 that I found interesting...thoughts?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/4/83530634.htm

Excerpt:

"2000 Toyota Epic 22, 22' with 300 hp Lexus EFI and custom tandem trailer. PRICE INCLUDES just installed BRAND NEW TOWER WITH BOARD RACKS. This boat is in almost new condition with under 100 hours. Heater, shower, depth finder/information center, CD stereo, built in cooler, wind block door, bow cover, mooring/towing cover fit to tower, bimini top, and even more. A large rear trunk will hold tons of gear or a large ballast bag. This boat drives out excellent, and needs nothing."

(Message edited by dedicatedwse on May 05, 2006)
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
History lessson:

http://www.epicmarine.com/history.html
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
interesting, thanks.
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
I'm considering looking at this boat tomorrow. Would appreciate any input anyone might have. I'm a skier and wakeboarder so this looks like it might be a pretty good fit for me.

Thanks in advance
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I have HEARD good things about the boats from previous owners. I think they use Lexus motors, and are very quiet. Sounds like a pretty good deal really. Go test drive it.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I've also heard numerous people talk about the great gas efficency these boats get with their Lexus motor, around 3-4 Galloons an hour, compared against 5-7 GPH in all the others.

As far as automotive goes, Toyota pretty much owns Consumer Reports 'tops' list.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Are you looking for a DD? IMO, for the same $$$ I'd take this boat.... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/310170.html?1144757097

But obviously if you are looking for a DD...then this doesn't make much sense....

Just food for thought.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
*add in shipping costs from the East coast to the West Coast*

But if you can work it so you are = on the two boats and you don't have a specific want/need for a DD... That SX is a sweet deal IMO.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
The toyota is an awesome boat!! but the market for Direct Drive boats is dead..
25k for a DD boat that is six years old and has no warranty, no dealer to take to for service, and may have problems getting parts for in the near future because the manufacturer is gone??
Forget it
For that money if you wanted a DD boat the prostar 205 would be a much better choice and has a proven hull.
People that own these toyotas are asking waaay to much for them IMO.
I would seriously offer between 16-18k, He'd be crazy not to take it.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
They ask that much because they can get it, there's only 477 of them. It's more like 2-3 GPH, btw. Any boat dealer can service it, they use the same parts everyone else does, and the motor needs 1/4 the maintenance (really) of a typical GM boat engine.

The wake is as good as any other boat it's size, rampy with a nice peak when you weight it. Power issues are resolved with a prop change.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-05-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
Is there any truth to the fresh water and electrolosis issues due to the combination of cast iron and aluminum engine parts? Seems I've read this somewhere before.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2006, 2:57 AM Reply   
I agree with Tom 100%. Great boat, but not for what they're asking.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Sparky,
No, not on the Toyota engines.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Danny Harf used a Toyota Epic for his 2000 season. I saw the boat go forsale on E-bay.

(I'm pretty sure it was Danny)