Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
What age can kids start wakeboarding. 3 year old son is a fish. any pointers or equipment to get them started this early??
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
Have you heard of a guy by the name of Parks Bonifay (he wakeboards purty good). His parents had him up in the water at 6 months. It's a guinness world record I believe. I don't have any experience teaching little ones to board, but it can be done. Good luck and post pics!

-Steve
Old    drewsky24            04-07-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
LF has a line of boards called the Nemesis, the smallest board is a 118 for riders from 30-70 lbs. The next size up is a 124 for riders 50-110lbs. Thats probably as high as your going to go with a 3 year old.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
cool, so there is equipment for little guys, what about actually pulling them? I assume I don't throw him out there 50ft and just go.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-07-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
Kevin, if you have access to a kneeboard you can go beside him and help stabilize the board. Get him comfortable with it on the beach, then if that goes well, take it behind the boat. My nephew, (in my profile pic btw ) is 4 and he can now get up by himself.

If you go next to him you can hold the back corner of his board with your free hand to stabilize him.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-07-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of me holding him:

Old    murrayair            04-07-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
That is so cool! Get em started young. I wish my parents had strapped me in a board at that age.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
We started our daughter out when she was 5 by having her sit on the side of a tube to start. Now she full on waterstarts and rides. The looks she gets from passerbys is priceless. She rides the Liquid Force Nemesis. Hope the start the 4 year old out this year, he rode between my feet on the wakeboard and surfer last year.

Old    jmo52            04-07-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
Look at her cuttin. That's bad a$$. I wish this sport was around when I was this age. Great pics guys. Congrats on the talented youngsters
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-07-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Those pictures are funny. The boards and handles look soooooo huge on them. That's really cool of you guys to be teaching them to ride at such a young age. Reminds me of my dad teaching me to ride motorcycles that young.
Old    kingjaycee            04-10-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
That is so awesome! I'm trying to get my 9yr to wake..Hopefully this summer.. I'm showing him these pics for encouragement!
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-10-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Kevin-
My son is 6 and I am going to start him this year. I got him a hyperlite motive, 124, with split bindings. Today I put him in the pool with all of his gear and just pulled him around. I started pulling him harder and harder until I was almost running. I couldn't pull him enough to get him up (almost!) but I wanted to give him the sensation of not coming over the front of the board. My biggest fear is that he is going to try, get pulled over the nose repeatedly, and want to quit after drinking half of the Delta. I also sat him on the ground, as if he was in the water with a board, had his mom hold his feet down, and slowly pulled him up with the rope. We'll see, but I really think he started getting the sensation of letting the rope pull him up, but not go over the front.
I really like the pic of the dad on the knee board. I'll have to wear a disguise going into the board shop to buy one though. In fact...I have probably told my friends and family at one time or another to just kill me and put me out of my misery if they ever saw me on a knee board. I guess for me kids it's worth the shame!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-11-2005, 12:16 AM Reply   
those are the sickest pictures ever. I had no idea kids went that young. My nephew/5 and niece/3 are on my list now...
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2005, 2:01 AM Reply   
There is a girl at the cable park in brisbane (aus) who started riding at 3 years and 8 months by herself.
She was doing ollies and grabs in no time.
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2005, 4:18 AM Reply   
Kevin, my advice it to strap him in and get a couple of people to pull him up in the shallows with someone helping him in the water. This will get him used to getting up and then you can slowly transition to the boat or pwc...Good luck
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-11-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
My dad and some neighbors used to pull me in the shallows. I was about 4. It only takes a couple people to pull a kid out of the water. It also eleminates the fear of the boat leaving them behind.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-11-2005, 8:04 AM Reply   
Use a Barefoot Boom. Almost guaranteed success the first time. Just go slow and have the water break on the board at the front foot. My 5-year old wants to board this year.