Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
So, over the winter, I picked up a cool gadget. It's a waterproof remote control for my perfect pass. Basically it has an up arrow and a down arrow on the remote and you can either fasten it to the rope for wakeboarding or line riding surfing. Or you can wear it on an armband. The arrows do exactly the same thing as pressing the up/down arrows on my PP.

I got a sweet deal on ebay and worked it out to have an extra remote control for kicks and giggles.

When I was inquiring about the product, the owner was crazy fast on his replies. I asked him a question on ebay and had a response within an hour. After that responses were within minutes. Amazing customer service and a really cool guy. Their website is http://www.tantrumtowropes.com/.

The install was ridiculously simple. There is a control box with a male and female harness that obviously bridge the connection between the PP display cluster and the PP ECU. Then there was a red wire and a black wire. If I can't figure out that those go to Pos and Neg, I need to have my DIY status revoked. I had it installed in literally a few minutes.

I did pull out the instructions to program the remotes. That was crazy easy too. Press the program button for a few seconds until it lights up. Then press a button on the remote (or in my case each remote) and DONE. I with programming garage door opener remotes was so easy!!!

And that's all there was to it. The control box has mouting tabs, so I put it next to my Perfect Pass ECU box.

Tantrum Wireless control box:

Perfect Pass ECU box. Pretty obvious what cable this uses. Also I chose the lazy route and just tapped into the Positive and Negative going to my PP.

All mounted and installed.

And for what it's worth, I have the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro:

I tested it out and it worked as expected. Pressing the arrows on the remote was just like pressing the arrows on my PP cluster. I'll report more when I've had a chance to water test it, probably in a few days.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-04-2014, 8:11 PM Reply   
There is a classified section for your clever advertisements.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2014, 8:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post

^^^
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
Seriously man. Look at my post count. Look at the threads I've posted. I have no affiliation with Tantrum except that I bought their product off ebay and he gave me a good "best offer" deal.

Don't be accusing me without doing a little of your own homework.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
^^^
Can't a person buy a product and do a write up and a review on it? Isn't this site about sharing info?

So, I'm enthusiastic. Big deal. The biggest downside I've seen is the price. a couple hundred for something that you don't really "need". But then again, do we "need" half the bling that we get for our boats?
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Can't a person buy a product and do a write up and a review on it? Isn't this site about sharing info?

So, I'm enthusiastic. Big deal. The biggest downside I've seen is the price. a couple hundred for something that you don't really "need". But then again, do we "need" half the bling that we get for our boats?

Gotta admit it sounds more like an advertisement, than your typical post...
I prefer to yell at the girlfriend to change speeds 😂😂😂
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Gotta admit it sounds more like an advertisement, than your typical post...
I prefer to yell at the girlfriend to change speeds 😂😂😂
Yeah, I guess it's my writing style. I'm kinda wordy.

And the whole reason I have PP is so i DON'T have to yell at my wife!!! Remember it's called the "marriage saver" for a reason.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2014, 8:43 PM Reply   
Trayson I'm still waiting for your surfgate build on the supra
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Trayson I'm still waiting for your surfgate build on the supra
Yeah, I've been thinking about it a lot. i was actually all set on Surfgate and found a sweet template of the 2014 gate on the Axis forums. But then I saw a SWEET build of a NSS type device that was retrofitted onto a Malibu. I've really thought about both devices. I probably can't go wrong with either one honestly. I just need time to make it happen. Either way, I'm sure that both will be money as they each delay convergence and that's the ticket!!!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-05-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
As the person who surfs your Supra the most after you, I can't wait to try it out. It will be interesting to see if you can do the quick press to slower to save yourself if you start to fall out the back.

What arm band are you using? It looks like it just comes on the handle, but you mentioned using it on an arm band.

Does it have any lag time between presses or is it just as quick as pressing the buttons on the perfect pass?

I love the rope, big enough handle for both hands to fit in, even with my bigger gorilla hands, but small enough to not be a safety issue, and still has a braided section to position yourself in the pocket. Best of both worlds IMO.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-05-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
As the person who surfs your Supra the most after you, I can't wait to try it out. It will be interesting to see if you can do the quick press to slower to save yourself if you start to fall out the back.

What arm band are you using? It looks like it just comes on the handle, but you mentioned using it on an arm band.

Does it have any lag time between presses or is it just as quick as pressing the buttons on the perfect pass?

I love the rope, big enough handle for both hands to fit in, even with my bigger gorilla hands, but small enough to not be a safety issue, and still has a braided section to position yourself in the pocket. Best of both worlds IMO.
I bought this armband for cheap off ebay.

Yes, pressing the buttons on the remote is just like pressing the up/down buttons on the PP. It happens as quick as pressing any other remote you own. I assume this functions on RF by the way because of the range.

Keep in mind that when you press buttons in PP that there is a time it takes PP to adjust your speed (basically engine response time). So I question if it's really work to "save you when you fall out of the pocket).

But it's one less thing for the driver to worry about. That said, PP will have a "range" of operating speed relative to a programmed speed, so you could end up fighting against the PP if you're adjusting the speed and it really doesn't need adjustment because it's simply fluctuated within the operating range...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-05-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
I can't wait to try it out. It will be interesting to see if you can do the quick press to slower to save yourself if you start to fall out the back.
I found out that the speed down button works pretty fast when you hold it down. But the up button doesn't respond quite as quick when you hold the button. They supposedly did that for safety.

I don't see myself using it that much in practice, but I have a hard time resisting upgrades. Plus, they sell it with a really nice surf rope, so if you're needing a surf rope anyway, pay a bit more and get both. That's how they got me to pull the trigger. I didn't even know a remote control product existed, I was just looking for a new surf rope and stumbled on it.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-05-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
I don't know that $230 bucks for a surf rope is considered "a little bit more", but it's a cool gadget I suppose. My thumb motions to my driver seem to work fine for me, however.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-05-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
I don't know that $230 bucks for a surf rope is considered "a little bit more", but it's a cool gadget I suppose. My thumb motions to my driver seem to work fine for me, however.
I didn't pay anywhere close to that price when I got it on ebay.

When I saw the item on ebay, they were blowing them out for a Buy it Now price of $129 + shipping. They also had a "best offer" function, and I made use of that and got it for even less.

So yeah, the MSRP is most certainly high enough that I would not have pulled the trigger at that price.

But if they decide they're willing to wheel and deal, then it gets more in striking distance...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-05-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
Also, if you're pretty set at what speeds you surf and wakeboard at, there's really not a great "need" for this device.

I mean, once I get my surf ballast configuration dialed in, I pretty much keep my speed the same for anyone that surfs. I rarely if ever change my wakeboard speed from the initial setting. So heck, I probably won't use it that much in practice.

Now, for dialing in ballast vs. surf wave, it might be fun. Or for someone that doesn't know what speed they're gonna ride at and they want to play with it, sure, this would be helpful.

It's not like there's some gaping "need" for this product. Just like there's not a gaping "need" for me to have a remote control for my boat stereo. But it's kinda fun for those few times it could be useful.

At their MSRP pricepoint, the costs vs. benefits don't measure up for me. But when I got a rope and got it for a big discount, then it seems to meet that value test for me.

They aren't going to have a big market for this I'd imagine. But there are people out there that like gadgets enough to blow some money on it. I mean, we do live in the boat culture where if they build boats more and more and more expensive that they seem to keep selling them and finding buyers that will pay those exorbitant prices.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-05-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Okay, I've been getting some pushback because people quickly assume that I'm a shill or a plant and that my objective is to advertise this product.

Here's the deal. I didn't even know this product existed until earlier this year when I was looking for a surf rope. I found this remote packaged with a rope on ebay for $129 buy it now, and submitted a "best offer" and got it for less.

Before I bought it, I had asked some questions to the manufacturer and got amazingly quick response from them and great customer service. I told them how impressed I was and they said that they'd appreciate it if I did a write up on their product after it was installed and give my feedback. I'm not getting anything for doing this and I'm giving my honest feedback on the positives and negatives.

I don’t work for Tantrum wireless. I can't even remember where they're located. I have a 1992 Supra Sunsport that I bought in April of last year and love to mod it and wakeboard and surf on it. I work as a CPA and am one of those "analytical" types. I also like to write and enjoy the whole "knowledge through sharing" of the forums. I am typically wordy as hell too.

The forums I spend most my time on are Wakeworld, the Supra forum, and the Moomba forum. That's where I originally planned to post my thread. However, I had accounts set up on other boat forums and figured it wouldn't hurt to take 20 seconds each and copy/paste my thread onto places where I already had accounts setup. I didn't go out of my way to create new accounts anywhere. But since it was easy, I posted this up in a number of places.

So yeah, I'm sure I seem like some even shill, but I'm just a normal boat owner that at worst is guilty of being a bit of a fanboy because I got excited about installing a new boat gadget that most hadn't used or seen.

These forums can be tough!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-06-2014, 7:49 AM Reply   
Honestly tray, if I had just read this on wakeworld I would have not said anything. But the exact same post was up on MC teamtalk so it looked like you were trying to advertise. If you are stoked on the product thats awesome, i just read into it the wrong way. My bad.