Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-18-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
we currently put the little folks on a hl coax or a lf customand does the trick mostly, would love to pick up a under 100 lbs surfers grom board, any suggestions?

Got two days in allready, pretty good for nw montana!! 50 degree water, 80 degree air!!
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-18-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
phase five scamp is relatively inexpensive and plenty of board. It'll definitely handle someone heavier than its 90lb rating too.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-18-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
The shorter the board the better. Your kids will love something like this:

http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/12/ooze.htm
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-19-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Shred Stixx Nano.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-20-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
Walker Project Grom
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-21-2012, 5:29 AM Reply   
my girls love their LakeWakes custom boards
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-21-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
If the little guys are liking the LF custom and Hype Coex, get them on the Phase 5 Scamp. It is a great kids skimboard. Really cheap, and a GREAT ride. I actually rode it a few weekends ago and at 160lbs I was getting air on it and it was very fast.
Little kids have so much more control on a board their size.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lHW...1&feature=plcp

Vid, Drew and I put together
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
sorry, little confused. what are the differences between the wake9 walker grom and the straight walker project grom? is the wake9 grom even available anymore? pretty big difference in price, guessing maybe due to the deck?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
wake9 just had their logo on a custom grom board. They are just regular Walker Project Groms
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
thanks mitch, i really like the scamp idea by the way (especially the price), but i'm hesitant not so much that it is skim-style, but because of the small single fin. i kind of feel like they need a 3-fin setup for stability since they are just starting out.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-13-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Bruce, the fin on the scamp is the bigger (deeper) of the two that phase five offers. That combined with the small board and light weight of the rider makes the board plenty stable.
Old     (Becci_)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
AIRBAZE Next 4'5" that's what the girls ride. We have a 11 year old killing it on that board.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
thanks mitch and shawndogty. so you think that scamp is a good fit for beginners ~60lbs? if so, i'll pick one up this friday....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-13-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Should be fine. This is my 95lb son at 12-14mph (I kept speeding up to see whether I could "drop" him).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DarNSfDDc
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
ha ha, that's awesome! kids got style! thanks shawn
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-16-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
http://youtu.be/BySXaNr6wkg
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-18-2012, 1:39 AM Reply   
My kids lean toward surf style boards more, they have tried the scamp and just don't like the skim style as much, but it is a great board and a great value. As for surf style boards, we have tried several and the Walker Project Grom and the Shredstixx Nano are both good boards.

The Nano is slower down the line but when setup like a thruster can really produce a lot of drive and do some amazing things, just look for some videos of Ford Chupik to get a sense of that, that kid kills it. Thomas likes to ride his as a twin and is starting to get air and have a good time. He feels very in control of his nano, and preferred it over the Grom, I think mostly because of how well he felt he could control it. I think it may have also had to do with the fact that one of his heroes, Chase Hazen, signed it and gave it to him. ;-)

The TWP Grom is the ONLY board I know of that is perfect for really small kids or kids that have a hard time flipping a board to get up. Jesse, age 6, could not flip the nano and the Grom was a key to getting up, I think your boy looks past that though. The grom is setup as a thruster, but really shines when you remove that back fin and ride it as a twin. I have seen Korina Smyrek (TWP pro women's surf rider) get on that thing and get air and ride it as good as her custom TWP signature model.

So basically, skim = phase 5 scamp and surf = nano or grom depending on preference of riding style, or future riding style that is. The grom will prepare them for a riding style more like James Walker or Brian Baker, and the Nano will get them into a riding style more like Chase Hazen or Chris Kinsey Jr. You may not be thinking that far ahead, but just my thoughts of using these boards all of the time.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-18-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
http://youtu.be/F7mgVRuUnhw

Ben on his custom Lakewakes GROM for the 2nd day...
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
another vid of the LakeWakes grom in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ea2sLha6dQ&feature=plcp