Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone knew what the figures were comparing skiing to wakeboarding. For instances what percent of marketshare for watersports related goods are wakeboarding related compared to waterskiing related. I made an inference that skiing is losing ground and wakeboarding/wakeskating/wakesurfing is gaining ground, and I want more credible evidence than just my opinion. Thanks for the help...
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
Water Sports Industry Association.

The wake market is much bigger now, but the ratio is not eroding the ski market anymore. As a dealer, I am seeing an uptick in the skis and a significant rise in kneeboards. Tubes have leveled off. What I am hearing is people are getting tired of tubes and looking to dabble a bit and the kneeboard is the next easiest thing to ride. Quite a few older riders are re-discovering skis and moving to hydrofoils. Trick skiing and jumping are struggling. Slalom is strong. Barefooting struggling a bit.

This is only one dealer's opinion.
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-21-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Karl,

From my perspective here in the midwest, you are dead on.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Here in central Oklahoma its about the same as Karls post...

But we still have alot of BareFooters.

Danny T.
WWW.OKCBoardShop.COM
WWW.WakeboardOklahoma.COM
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-21-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
Wow. As a dealer here in Dallas, my kneeboard/ski/slalom share of sales is a very small percentage of my total sales in the pro shop. I sell about 1 slalom, pair of skis or kneeboard for every 15 wakeboards.

We see a lot of beginners jumping right onto the wakeboard instead of starting on skis. I guess it is because that is all you see on the lakes here in DFW. There are wakeboarders and wake-surfers everywhere.

McFly
www.waterskiboatsdallas.com
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-21-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
I am with Marty on this one. We stopped stocking skis all together and sell nothing but Wakeboards Wakeskates and Wakesurfs. We are also in the DFW area.
www.innov8actionsports.com
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
From the midwest perspective I see that skiing is still really strong, alot of organizations pushing it to grow, but looking at the west coast, florida, and texas I think wakeboarding is making gains.
Old     (mojo_riser)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
in the midwest especially Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illi showskiing is a way of life for many families. So that promotion keeps skiing in the midwest going.