Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
It seems that most people stick with 6.5 inch speakers for their towers, is there any benefit of the 6.5 over 6x9's. In my limited background in car audio, I have always used round speakers, never 6x9's or 4x6's
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
Many people are of the opinion that 6x9's tend to distort more than round speakers. I don't know all of the theory behind that, but I think this is one of the reasons. Second, in terms of enclosures, a round pipe is easy to make and is mainly all that has been available the last few years. Now, there are actually a few 6x9 enclosures available and there are more people making their own custom enclosures. An arguement for 6x9 is their slighlty larger area is believed to displace more air creating a higher sound pressure level than a rider may be able to hear better. All this said, I have a custom box that I built that holds 4 - 6x9s and it has worked well for me. I have a new project going to replace it with 4 - 6.5" mids and 2 - horn loaded compression drivers all in 7.5" diameter aluminum cans that I made.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
That sounds awesome, I would love to see some pics when you are done. I was playing around with compression drivers, but I don't know enough about brands and specs to really determine what is good. So far, I think that I am going to build some cans out of irrigation piping that I found, or PVC I haven't decided yet.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Brad, you mentioned there are a few 6 x9 enclosures available...who makes them? I'd like to check it out?
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Here are a few:

http://www.loudliquid.com/

http://www.wetboxtowers.com/speaker.html

http://www.proflighttowers.com/

There are a handful of others and quite a few that are building their own.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
This has a lot of good DIY projects including a project on building 6x9 enclosures.

http://bierbower.net/diytower/home.htm

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
Loud Liquid empty - $239 a pair list, e-mail me for a quote, though. rider@boarditup.com
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
I just posted the latest of my creations (really from last May) on www.wakescene.com

I have over 100 photos to go with it!

KG
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
I also saw a really nice 6x9 box on Ebay today that was all fiberglass, pretty sweet. I went to Lowe's tonight, and I think I am going to go the PVC route for now at least.
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
The difference between 6.5's & 6x9's is clarity. 6x9's were created to give depth was decent clarity. In my opinion, you should use a woofer for depth, not a mid-range. It depends on how much you want to spend.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-26-2004, 5:42 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine that ocassionaly post on here makes custom boxes for 4 6x9's I ride on his boat weekly and they can be heard loud and clear all the way back and to the sides. My box is being made at this moment. If you you are looking for can style, those are in the works right now too. Email him and he will get back to you promptly. His name is Paul and his site pretty much explains it all. http://holla.pimpdomain.com/
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-26-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
Does PVC work pretty good for cans? I am currently running two Bose 151. They are ok, but not very loud. I think I have enough power to them, but still can't hear them real well at 70ft.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-26-2004, 11:30 PM Reply   
I just got one of those boxes CHAD is talking about and I am totally impressed with it. I will get pictures someday...Hello Chad how are you and the family? Oh and the BU ....JEFF
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-27-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
I used both 6x9's and 6&1/2's for my tower setup. More for athestics than any other reason.
Theres a second pair of 6x9's firing down into the boat.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-27-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
WOW - You guys are doing some aweseome projects. Keep the pictures coming and send me a write up or weblink to add to diyTower.com is thats OK with you.
Old    whitevlx            03-28-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
We build custom enclosures as well as stock models. I picked 6x9's because I like the shape better. For true sound quality you have to go with some sort of component set-up. However the 6x9's perform beautifully, especially when they have the power they need. Feel free to check out our website for some more pictures. Not trying to sell anything here, just show you some options.
Steve

http://www.tytebox.com
Dogbone w/ 4 Pioneer 6x9 REV speakers
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-29-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
You guys have got some great looking tower setups. I am pretty sure that I am going to with two sets of 6.5 inch speakers, and now I am thinking of using irrigation piping. I went to Lowe's and looked at all kinds of ducting, fittings, PVC, etc and I don't think I can do what I want with what is available.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-29-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Also, how are you guys wiring your setup. With four speakers, I would like to wire them to run off of two channels on an amp.
Old    whitevlx            03-30-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Stephen - 2 channel one amp is pretty easy, just wire all the speakers in parallel. You will need to run two pairs of speaker wires one for the right, one for the left. Then run the right side positive to one speaker and then to the positive side of the second speaker. Repeat this for the negative and then do the other pair the same way. Make sure you buy an amp that is solid at 2 ohms and your set.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2004, 8:46 AM Reply   
I believe that is called wiring in series.
Old    hyperryd            03-30-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
No, Steve is right, that is parallel with a two ohm stereo load.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
I stand corrected.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip, I knew I could probably look it up, but I also knew somebody on here would know off the top of their head.