Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SteveO)      Join Date: May 2011       08-19-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
Ok so I have narrowed it down to 3 boards based on multiple suggestions.
I consider myself a beginner as I have not even mastered W2W yet so keep that in mind as well.
I am 6'1 and 200lbs.

Boards I am considering are....

1. Ronix Bill 142
2. Hyperlite Murray 142
3. LF B-side 144

Which of these boards do you all recommend and with what bindings if I am looking to share with my kids who have a similar shoe size to me... 10-12 range.

Thanks!
Old    readyaimfire            08-19-2011, 10:46 PM Reply   
Bside is a hyperlite, and I would say none of these. For a beginner go with something that has continuous rocker. All of these are three stage I believe( not sure about the bill). Continuous is more predictable. Either a hyperlite motive or Lf trip(not continuous, but forgiving).
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-19-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
I have a used Liquid Force S4 for sale in classifieds. It's a continuous/hybrid. It's also a size 142 and comes with size 10/11 closed toe Soven boots.
Old     (c_fizz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-20-2011, 12:34 AM Reply   
the s4 is a sick board
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2011, 1:56 AM Reply   
The bill is money man!
Old     (jfd)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-20-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
The Bill is a smooth 3 stage, super fun to ride, not too agressive for a beginner.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Motive gets my nod for forgiving and plenty of room to learn on... Need plenty of that at start of this adventure. Don't sell it short, good riders rock on this board.
Old     (ckdollar)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-20-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Ronix Vault
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-20-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
If you have your heart set on one of those.. I would say Bill bc it's super smooth and also is the only one in the lineup with a grind base which in time can come in handy if you decide after you get better to go hit a cable park or build a rail!!
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-20-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
None, Hyperlite 142 Franchise
Old     (king_of_the_wake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-21-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
number two all the way i have had a chance to demo it out and its great board produces huge pop and great edges for cutting
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
I ride the Murray 142 and love it!!
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-24-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
if your set on those id say the murray, not as agressive as the bill at least (for the rocker). also if i were you id take into consideration the O'Brien Valhalla, its a great beginner to intermediate board and its super great for progression. read up on the specs or even message me if you wanted to know some stuff. All your choices are great boards, the Valhalla is just a little more for pregression in my eyes
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyaimfire View Post
Bside is a hyperlite, and I would say none of these. For a beginner go with something that has continuous rocker. All of these are three stage I believe( not sure about the bill). Continuous is more predictable. Either a hyperlite motive or Lf trip(not continuous, but forgiving).
Both the b-side and Murray are continuious, or about as close as you get.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Why buy a R6 when your gonna get a R1 eventually? Go three stage, and just buy one board in the long run. Your ability is not going to notice what kind of board you are riding if you don't know the difference anyway.
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-25-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
there is a 2010 144 B-side in Classified Area
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=2053
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-25-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
I just suggested a Trip to a newbie. Much of the RONIX stuff is not newbie friendly at all. I do ride a viva and am somewhere between beg and int.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
Do not go with murray or hyperlite for that matter, until they make a board like RONIX forget them. I don't care if their professional wakeboarders are amazing on them, we have to ride behind them in our crappy boats, liquid force watson 2009 is also good. I have been on a 2007 hyperlite Murray and unless they changed the design from a continuous rocker forget that board too, its slightly better than my liquid force search.
"Go three stage, and just buy one board in the long run"
unless you want to drop $500 every year as you progress
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       08-25-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
The BSide and Murray are both 3 stage boards and the Bill is a continuous. Hyperlite has a 2 yr warranty where Ronix is 1 yr. The Murray is a very forgiving board along with the bill. I personally did not like the Bside compared to the Murray and Marek is it landed harder and was very jittery on rougher water.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
ok the 2007 murray was not a 3 stage, so he changed his design would definitely get more pop now with a newer one
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-25-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
The BSide and Murray are both 3 stage boards and the Bill is a continuous. Hyperlite has a 2 yr warranty where Ronix is 1 yr. The Murray is a very forgiving board along with the bill. I personally did not like the Bside compared to the Murray and Marek is it landed harder and was very jittery on rougher water.
I could be wrong but through working with wakeboards including all these 3, I do believe that the Bill is a 3 stage. The Murray and B-Side are a very subtle 3 stage, even close to a continuous. Again i could be wrong, this is just what I hear from reps and stuff. But i do apologize if I'm wrong or sound like an ass
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
They call the bside andn murray 3stage, but it's so close to continuious that it's ahard to call them that. Rode the bside and it rode almost exactly like my viva. I think the idea of a 3 stage is so popular that board comanies try to sell boards by putting that on them. My lyman was supposed to be a blended 3stage, and it was about as continuous as could be. At my size 3 stages have too much drag
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
"At my size 3 stages have too much drag "
Have you tried Ronix?
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-25-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ronix=Made in China. I like their product but cant bring myself to buy anything made in China while so many people here in the USA are hurtin.
Old    readyaimfire            08-26-2011, 12:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
Why buy a R6 when your gonna get a R1 eventually? Go three stage, and just buy one board in the long run. Your ability is not going to notice what kind of board you are riding if you don't know the difference anyway.
I would disagree. A continuous board is going to have a much more predictable and consistent pop as compared to a three stage. The three stage will pop from one of two flat spots depending where your weight is. Beginners need that consistency in the beginning. A lot of todays boards that come with minuscule fins and crazy rocker do the beginner a disservice. I see a lot of windows being rolled up and slipping off the wake happening when a beginner goes out on a board that exceeds their capabilities. Makes the learning curve that much harder in my opinion.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2011, 4:45 AM Reply   
The Murray has changed twice since 2007
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwellman View Post
Ronix=Made in China. I like their product but cant bring myself to buy anything made in China while so many people here in the USA are hurtin.
My next board will be the Lyman Sliingshot.
Old     (Stulli)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-26-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I'm riding the 2011 Murray and it is a 3 stage. I have friends that ride it that are beginners and some are very advanced riders and that board fits both groups well. The pop on the Murray is really nice... its is fast when you put it on an edge... but you also can cut it loose very easy to do surface tricks...
And all this talk about a advanced board is not good for a beginner is not right IMO its so much preference of the rider... I even have seen people ride the Murray and the riding was better on it as on there regular board but they just did not like the feel...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
I know they say the murray is a blened 3 stage, but it's so mellow you wouldn't be able to tell.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"At my size 3 stages have too much drag "
Have you tried Ronix?
Yeah I'm actually riding a viva now, I've tried the Ibex and One. My problem is when I get out to cut back in I need either a really fast board or a really buoyant one. If they sink at all then I have to edge too hard and lose some of my pop. My Lyman was super fast and super buoyant and I loved it. I rode 12 boards before deciding on the Viva. I weigh 225lbs and they just don't make wakeboards for guys my size.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
^^^ You should get a 146 Marek or 144 B-Side
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
The 146 marek is absurdly expensive, and only comes in the nova core. I really liked the Bside, but the 2011 was one ugly ass board, and I didn't like it anymore than I liked the viva with .8 inch sliders. They ride similarly wiht that setup, though the B side handles rough water a little better
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
The Marek is expensive, but you might be able to find a used one or an older model for cheaper.