Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-04-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Looking to purchase the EZ Ski Kids Trainer or something similar.
Has anyone purchased one and what are your thoughts? (Ease of use, how old was your child).

He loves tubing this past summer.

http://www.waterskis.com/EZ-Ski-Kids...ki_trainer.htm

If you have one or know one for sale, we would be interested.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-04-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
We have one. They run around $200 new. Great investment for kids. I have had kids from 3-8 on it and they all could do it no problem. It's safe and fun. I'd recommend it. Although this year my 4 year old and 6 year old starting wakeboarding and we didn't even pull the ski trainer out once!
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-04-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
We have one it works awesome it is a good transition from tube to the wakeboard.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-04-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
I ordered one for my son. He used it about 5 or 6 times, now he wants a wakeboard. All the kids who try it like it but they're quickly ready to move up. Good investment if you have a lot of kids and they have a lot of friends. At least it gets them off the big tube which takes 4x as long to inflate, deflate, and stow!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
My son retired his after 3 uses because the older boys, he's 5 and they are 7, were wakeboarding. Its a great tool for getting younger ones use to being behind the boat and feeling safe.

I'll sell it if you are interested. It looks brand new and I believe it is still stored in the original box. Shoot me a PM if your interested and at what price. It's at the lake house so it would take a couple weeks to deliver.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-04-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
My son, 3yrs old, liked it this season, but I think he get's bored after a while since he can't really turn/steer it because he's so light, it more just slowing veers left to right while he severely leans that direction. Maybe we need to take it up to 15mph for easier control, but the label says 10mph and under. Next season we are skipping the ez ski and going straight to wakeboard.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-04-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Taught my nephew whos 2.5 with straight kids combo skis (skipped the trainer). The ones that tie together and throw a dumbell on the back. Think next summer we're going with the 118 wakeboard.
Old     (jzelt)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-05-2012, 6:11 AM Reply   
PM Sent srock
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Sometimes as kids gets older they go through a "thinking" stage and become hesitant to get back on the water. My son went through that after noticing alligators in the fresh and talks of bull sharks in the salt. I learned at 5 in Wisconsin and I remember thinking big fish big fish. My wife gets nervous as well and kids begin to pick up on that stuff. If they have positive experiences at 2,3,4 it will carry forward to the "thinking" years. The EZ Ski experience may be short but is can be a very positive first step because it is so easy and confidence building.

The trainer skis with a little weight on the tail is a great next step. For those who don't know the trick, a little weight on at the tail, a pound on each ski will work, causes the tails to drop while the tip stays up. It makes controlling the skis while starting easy. Put the weight on the first time because if your child struggles to control the ski it kills their mojo.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2012, 5:46 AM Reply   
So what's a good setup to start with? My daughter will be 2.5 next summer. She is big for her age now (I've seen kids a year older than her that are smaller). She loves the water and seems to have decent balance...and is fairly fearless. I want to get something she can progress on but at the same time actually learn to use from the start. I'm sure she will love it.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-07-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Start with kneeboards. Super ez to get up on. Any kid 3 or older can do them and have fun. We run 2 at a time in back which helps the new kids overcome their fears and get hands on help from someone. With the handle hooks they don't have to even hold the rope until they are all strapped in and ready to go. Once they have some splashing and wipe outs under their belt, moving over to the wakeboard is simple. Also, they can still do tricks on the kneeboards. Do every thing you can to keep them off the wretched tubes.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
+1 on running a Buddie at the same time to get over the intimidation. If you don't have another skier, and I'm just to heavy to ride along at my sons walking speed, the next best thing is to hold the rope and start them right at the platform so you can coach the process. It's comforting and you can jump in the water if they crash.

After a session in the yard, I hand-lined a few runs in the pool and this can be done at the beach as well. I could pull my son for 25 feet in the pool and we only stopped the fun when my hands gave out. Moving to the boat was a snap. Unless you have a beach where you can "run" it, at about 4 the kids become a bit to heavy to pull by hand.

It a lot of fun for the parents as well as the kids. Have fun.

Last edited by srock; 10-08-2012 at 8:12 AM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
http://www.waterskis.com/O-Brien-Pla...rm_trainer.htm

We have this and are real happy with it. Easiest with a beach start or the bank. Think it gives them a bit more of a feeling of what skis or a board will feel like without them really having to pull up with their arms.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
The EZ Ski appears to have that exact ski on the bottom/interior. The difference is the child can float on the ski and doesn't fall. If you drop the pressure a little in the seat you have the same ride. I'm typically on the St. Johns River and I don't like my scoobie snack sized boy along the shore. Way to many big gators for a beach start. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795409