Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-19-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
HI,

I just notice that my boat's gelcoat i wearing out where the bow comes in contact with the trailer (there is some kind of a V shaped rubber bump). Nothing major, but my hull is red and some black underneath is starting to appear.

Should i be concerned? When i put it back on the trailer, should i make sure the boat and trailer don't touch there?

Thanks
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-19-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Pictures...
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
Your hull should not ride on the centering roller guide under the boat, only bunks. The only roller it should touch is the one up front, if you have it.
If that is the one you are referring to, then it's possible you aren't pulling the boat far enough on the trailer, so it bounces and rubs. The bow roller and the bow should more or less move together. The compound those rollers are made of should rub off on the boat like an eraser, but shouldn't wear through the gel. That sounds like the boat is moving and striking the roller.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Could simply be the rubber guide/roller is transferring rubber on to the boat and not wearing out the gelcoat. Mine transfers rubber to my boat each time I load it on the trailer.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-19-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   

I think the way it is set now is good. But when i got the boat, the boat and roller weren't touching and i travelled 400 miles this way.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
BoatMate trailer? I have the same setup on my Axis, but with the yellow roller. The boat was damaged during shipping from the factory in the same way. If the boat is not up on the roller, and is back a bit, it can bounce up and down and will gouge the gelcoat with the metal brackets that hold the roller. Got it all repaired by Axis and have had no issues to date, as long as you get the bow up onto the roller so it does not hammer it when it bounces-
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Crank it 'til the boy eye touches the roller. What is that gold thing in the pic?
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-19-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the information

The gold is just light comming from behind.

As long as the damage is only consmetic i don't really care. But i don't want to get more problems from this.

There are NO supreme dealers around, so getting this done under warranty might be a problem.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-19-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
I would change that roller to one that was narrower. That one doesn't look to fit the hull shape very well.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-20-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Call the mfg. and ask them for a small pint of red gelcoat and catalyst. This will get you closest to the original color, prep the area well, and clean with Acetone, apply gelcoat like bondo, wet sand and buff out. Will look like new again and be just fine. As long as the glass is not exposed, you have no worries about structural damage or water wicking. The best way to work on this area while it is on the trailer, is to purposly leave the boat back a bit, next time ure out, then shove like 2 towels under the nose, to prevent bouncing and further damage on the way home. You can then patch it with enough space to work on it in the garage if you can. Once repaired, suck it up to the roller, next time you bring it in from the water. All better-

Shipping damage:

After repair:
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-21-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
you might also want to try using a seperate tie down. one end goes on the ring on the front of the bow, straight down to the trailer. Most likely, you have a spot on the trailer directly below the ring on the bow to put the other end of tie down to keep bow from bouncing. Plus, if you tow long distances, I would not trust only the bow winch strap for securing your boat. Most boat trailer mfg suggust using and additional strap for the boats bow.