Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 12:14 AM Reply   
Well, we had another day with the Wolters on Saturday and had a lot of fun. Also got a chance to check out Frank's Sanger v230 and how great is wake is coming along. I say coming along, because told me of a bunch of plans he still has! This guy has definitely drunken the wakesurfing Koolaid. I love it. So here are some pics.

Here is a decent picture of Frank's wake from the side with chris shootin the curl. Its amazing how much chris has progressed. He switches off between the SMED and his new 4.11 Shredstixx Thresher.
IMG_3635

Here RJ is on board helping chris to get some air on that board.
IMG_3680

He is going to show some sky under his board soon.
IMG_3688

Lora is working on her "turneys" as she calls them.
IMG_3756

Frank got on the yellow booger and he is really starting to move that board around the wake, looking good.
IMG_3804

Hey, he got a new life jacket?
IMG_3826

OK, so I have always wanted to try this. It was kinda nuts, a bit windy and choppy, so we only tried for about 20 mins, but we got the double wake going. Took a while to figure out distance and speed, we didn't quite get it, but we needed more time, and needed to do this mid week. We had other boats running for the hils, it was pretty funny the looks we got with this.
IMG_3864

RJ surfing the wash.
IMG_3867

RJ and Chris got out there, it was fun, they had a blast.
IMG_3881
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 12:15 AM Reply   
RJ got a chance to try out the thresher, he had fun. At 4.11, it was probably a bit oversized for him, but he only had this session with it, and did alright.
IMG_3916

Got a bit of air. I def noticed that RJ was not able to accelerate on the bottom turn to his air like his JWSM does.
IMG_3932

IMG_3958

IMG_3983

The longer he spent on it, the more comfortable he got.
IMG_3995

OK, so here he really had fun. The thresher being the thruster and the edge all the way to the back corner, actually made RJ feel more stable when riding revert. So was able to throw stall 360s very well. I think he landed like 6 out of 7. And he held his revert ride for a good second a few times. On the JWSM he is landing about half. He is getting there though.
IMG_4013

IMG_4014

IMG_4015

IMG_4016

IMG_4017

IMG_4018

IMG_4019

IMG_4020

IMG_4021

The JWSM is so responsive it is a lot more touchy/sensitive in revert, plus this thresher was bigger and more buoyant. James Walker really makes riding revert on his board look so easy. Anyway, had a lot of fun.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2009, 12:33 AM Reply   
great pics robert!! i got a bunch in the camera i gotta post .... great shots with laura and whitney surfing the double wakes .... it was another super fun day!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 12:59 AM Reply   
Geez frank, were you just sitting there waiting for me to post?!

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-26-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
I was told to take the middle fin out of my Thresher board if I wanted to get air and try 360's but after looking at these pictures I think I might put it back in.

I guess I need to work on my technique instead of the equipment.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-26-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Great pics of RJ. I've only had my JWSM out twice so slow motion pics (even on a different board) help. Switching between the JWSM and my P5 skim is a complete change of riding.

Does RJ change up to skim every now and then?

Keep up the good work with the videos!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
the guy from thresher told chris to ride the board with the 3 fins and learn to turn it and get air on it with all 3 fins in .... lots harder to do 360 as chris could do it on his smed wombat but cant get close on the thresher so far .... he says chris works hard on this board he will learn the technique and be alot better surfer in the long run .... i didnt get to see rj on the board but chris said he was spinning it with no problem .... thresher guy said by next summer chris should be able to move up to the pro comp model and he will be better off learning to surf the right way first .... he had a 2010 model on the boat but chris was so happy with the thresher he didnt try the new quad fin model .... next time out he gets to try the quad fin .... rj is a great guy and chris looks to him as his own personal coach!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
I can tell you that RJs inspiration, and how he gets a lot of his technique is from James Walker. James has AMAZING control and command of his JWSM. RJ has a couple of videos on his iphone of james performing various tricks like AIR and stall 360 and others. He studies them, James is also amazingly efficient in his movements. I don't have video of James in HD and I am working to have James and Surfdad on our boat in September some time. Then I will create several how-tos and trick videos like I did when I had sean out. Hopefully we get that worked out. It would be great to see James in HD and in slow motion.

That said, here is a video of RJ practicing air and stall 360 and in slow mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-KPsmaohqc

RJs technique has improved since then, but still a decent video.

As far as the 3 fins, I don't think going to 2 is going to help a ton with airs, but probably help on your acceleration at the bottom of the wave some. You should be able to do air well with 3 fin setup. As far as the 360, if you do a surface 360 its going to be more difficult to rotate the board in that flat way with 3 fins vs 2. Doing the stall 360, I guess to be sure I would have to try a 3 with RJ then do 2 and see what he thought. My guess is that it might actually be easier with the 3 fins for the stall. The stall is like a 3 point turn. The hardest part for RJ is when going to revert you have to shift your weight to keep you weight on the inside edge of the board. When the board is real squirly, as he starts to go revert, he will lose his balance unless he bends his knees and prepares. The stabler thruster may be easier in this sense, but I can tell you overall he prefers the twinzer fin setup, kinda hybrid twin fin, of the JWSM. Especially when it comes to acceleration.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
robert i gotta believe the 2 wake should be done with the boats way closer so that wave faces are actually meeting .... when rj was surfing from 1 boat wake to the other that was cool .... that way you dont have the big white water smush we had .... it was cool though as it looked like the kids were in the ocean with huge waves .... big wave wakesurfing LOL
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-26-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
LOL @ other boats running for the hills. You should make a podcast of THAT.

Some day I want to bring my family up to Camp Ragboy.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
@frank, y, I agree, but the conditions were too nuts to get any closer when we did it. On a nice, windless weekday, it sure would be fun to do again.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
man if you ever tried it in the delta the sheriffs would come out of the tules thicker then mudhens writing tickets to everybody involved even the kids surfing behind the boats!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
y, that's why oroville is nice. Less traffic, even on the weekend. The sherriffs are in the slip next to mine, so we talk to them all the time, they are not that gung ho type, just want to keep things safe. Mainly watching out for craziness and alcohol on the weekends. They don't even come out on the weekdays.