Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Looks like I let the thread go inactive too long- whoops! All info can be found in the archive here:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/554926.html?1209484364

The thread on Planet Nautique can be found here: http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10634

I just submitted the 4th group of orders. If you sent me an order form, you should have received an email. Please let me know if I missed you!

We have now set an end date for the group buy. The last day to submit orders is Friday May 23, 2008.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
The covers seem to have a rope system much like my current cover. Can anyone confirm this? I am interested in the cover but my boat is in the water at the marina right now where it will stay for the summer. Trying to cover the boat with the pull ropes to get it tight is tough when its in the water. Here is a picture I found of a Rankin Cover that appears to tighten with ropes.

Upload
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-14-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Yes, they do tighten with a rope to the rear of the boat. There is a pully/tension thingy in the back that makes it pretty easy. To get it right you just have to stand on the swim platform while you tighten. Thats what I do and it works great.
Old    alanp            05-14-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
this company is freakin ridiculous. still havent gotten my cover. been waiting forever(i was first round of orders) and when i call them, its the same story. "your cover is gonna ship later this week". thanks for saving me 100 bucks rankin but ive been sitting in az with a coverless boat for far too long. thanks for feeding me a load of crap everytime i call. thanks for telling me i would have the first cover they made. heres a clue if this is your busy time of the year dont do group buys. and if its gonna take 3 months to get a cover let someone know i wouldve gladly paid a little more to have some decent customer service.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Alan,

I feel your pain brutha. Been there done that.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
No cover for you either Cliff?
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-15-2008, 4:00 AM Reply   
Alan, I wish you would have sent me an email before airing out your dirty laundry here- I could have seen if there was anything I could do. To be fair, your order was submitted 3/21 (just shy of 8 weeks ago) and the lead time Rankin quoted was 6 weeks. I had asked that your order be put through ASAP in order to keep your boat out of the sun, but if Rankin didnt feel comfortable putting you ahead of orders they had already received then thats their call- and I cant say I totally blame them. Theyre busy and everyone wants their cover quickly.

A delay of 2+ weeks over what you were quoted is certainly not ideal- but it doesnt seem warranted to trash them in a public forum either. I wont excuse them giving you the run around, but I do believe theyre doing the best they can. Theyve had a few issues impact production that I would rather not go into detail about.

Its no secret that this is Rankin's busy season, but we knew that going in. By the way, I made a mistake on the pricing sheet- the $100 savings youre referencing is actually lower than dealer pricing. Savings from retail is actually around $250.

(Message edited by trbenj on May 15, 2008)
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-15-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Was in the market, the customer service issue kills it for me also...
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-15-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Bthom....I guess what I was getting at is my boat is in the water so I dont have the luxury of walking around the side and making sure the rope is under my rub-rail unless I want to swim.

My question was will the cover slide over the rub-rail with ease without having to go around the boat to adjust it before you tighten it up in the back?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
"A delay of 2+ weeks over what you were quoted is certainly not ideal- but it doesnt seem warranted to trash them in a public forum either. I wont excuse them giving you the run around, but I do believe theyre doing the best they can. Theyve had a few issues impact production that I would rather not go into detail about."

Chastising him for using this forum to resolve an issue is wrong, yet using this forum for the sole purpose of selling Rankin covers is ok? You may want to return to PN before you get in too deep over here.

Jason,

I've tried to keep quiet on the subject, but by doing so another a long time WW poster is sufffering a similar situation as I did. Now I feel I should have spoken up from the beginning.

This guy is on these forums to sell Rankin covers period!
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
Cliff, here I thought I was doing some good for the community- sorry if I stepped on anyones toes. I wouldnt call what Im doing selling though- that would imply that Im employed by Rankin or working on commision, which Im not.

The overwhelming majority of the people involved have been very happy with the experience and their covers. Perhaps Ive spent too much of my own time and effort brining this together- but I take an attack like this somewhat personally. Having handled the orders myself, I cant help but feel partly responsible for any issues that come up, and I would have appreciated a chance to try and help before having it aired out publicly.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-16-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Alan is perfectly in the right for posting a grievance with the subject company on this thread.
Old     (riverdog)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-16-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Jason. I had a rankin for my malibu. Its easy to put on from in the boat and tighten from the grid. Great cover. I also had very bad service as they sent the wrong cover and then the wrong size. Never ever got what I ordered. Don't have the boat now and will never buy there again. Product was good though.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-16-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Sure Tim,

Your a skier on a wakeboarding website, the majority of your posts are Rankin sales related, and we're too assume?

I guess I'm way off base here. You must be the Mother Terresa of boat covers.

As I stated earlier, it would be best if you leave.

(Message edited by Seattle on May 16, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
if you're doing this all the time, you must be getting a kick back.
if you're getting a kick back, you're "with" rankin.
if you're with rankin, you're spamming.
if you're spamming, you're out!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
customer service from rankin is why i went to cory over at evolution covers.

great product and awesome service
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-16-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Cliff/Joe, I appreciate the warm sentiment.

Ive been lurking here since 2001 and (like you said) Im a skier on a wakeboarding site- so I choose not to contribute much. I guess I overstepped my boundary by trying to include WW in the group buy this time around. Clearly I havent established a reputation here like I have on PN or CCFan.

If my presence isnt welcome, so be it- but I guess its true that no good deed goes unpunished. Im just trying to pass along a good deal on a quality cover that Ive been very happy with. I wouldnt have bought the cover in the first place if it hadnt been for the group buy- I thought it might benefit others here. Oh well.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-16-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
Wow, I think you fellas are being a bit harsh. Over the last few years of posting on some other discussion boards Tim frequents, I've never known him to be anything but an extremely helpful, knowledgeable, stand-up guy. This site could use more like him, IMO.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-16-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Fact of the matter is that Tim has saved those buying a cover a couple of hundred, each.

Thanks!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I'm okay with someone offering to save members a few bucks, even if they make a few for themselves for the trouble. I have bought into a couple group buys before, and orchestrated a couple myself.

I'm also totally okay with someone posting a gripe about a company on a group buy thread. Both are great examples of the value of forums.

quote:

Alan, I wish you would have sent me an email before airing out your dirty laundry here- I could have seen if there was anything I could do.

Don't be surprised when people react negatively when some noob, who appears to be profiting from the site, talks down to an established member.
Old     (shesfearless)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-18-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I got my cover well within the 6 week timeframe, so I was very happy (and it looks sick)... but the cover has ripped along the bottom where the rope zips in (see the pic from Jason) - It did come from California, driven by some dudes with no respect for safety etc... but the cover did appear to be on correctly, so is this normal?