Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a picture they can post of a Malibu Ballast pump setup from inside the engine compartment. I am trying to see how Malibu has set up their pump and then I'd like to replicate it. I think they use a through hole fitting attached to a ball valve and then the pump goes into that, but I'd like to see the setup. Please help! Thanks.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Also, please let me know if the fittings are simply a round open hole on the bottom of the boat, or they are the water pick-up type that has kind of a grate look from under the boat. Thanks!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
Mike
the boat is at the stereo shop so I cant post pics

but

it is a round through hull, a ball valve, a brass "t" and a pump screwed directly to each side of the "t"

if you still need pics next week, email me and I will send you some
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Thanks Cliff! Just to clarify, if you look at the fitting from the bottom of the boat, is it simply a round hole, or is it the same style of fitting as you have on your engine cooling pickup like this:http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/161611/10001/217/70/11

Thanks again
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
nope....no scoop
just a round hole
no screen
it almost looks like the through hulls that are on the side of the boat.....sans the bezel
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Very nice - Thanks a ton!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I went with a scoop on the 2005 XTi that I had...
the problem with those, unless you mount them backwards, is that water is always forced into it when the boat is in motion

I'm adding a round through hull to this boat.....to feed the make-a-wake system
then adding a "t" to the drain lines

essentially, the round ones are the same fittings as is used for the drain plugs

in fact, if my engine compartment drain plug was in a different spot, I would just use it

the Tenn factory puts the where I would need it, but the Cali factory puts them under the trans
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-09-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I just ordered a 3/4" "bilge fitting" from www.skidim.com for $26. I have a 2 pump system on my boat and at first I had both pumps coming off of a T from the stock bilge hole, but I ran into priming issues. I have decided to put each pump on their own hole and found that skidim was much cheaper then other places.

One thing to keep in mind (if you buy Tsunami pumps) is that you may need to cut the threaded shaft of your pumps shorter (like to 1" long) so that they won't have priming/clearance issues.
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Here's some factory pics.

Upload
Upload