Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Upload
a friend sent me this pic, thought some might like to see it.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-25-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
!!!AWESOME!!!

I think it would be pretty cool to fill the truck and boat with diesel at the gas station. Plus, I could sneak a few gallons on the company fuel card...shhh

Anyone know how these engines perform so far or what models they're available in. Wonder if you could get a diesel in the X-Star yet...?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
ahhh ! turbo charged VW muscle. Too bad it only lists the Maristar 280 or prostar 190 ski boats. At least we are getting closer.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-25-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
Could run farm diesel, i.e. not tax, very nice.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
Just a little heads up, the diesel option is WAY WAY expensive. The sticker price for just the engine will be $32,000. They only have it in the 190's and 280's. It is not even worth the money. Lots of torque, around 530lbs.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Wait....what?? 32,000 for the engine?? 3200 hundred sounds about right for the diesel engine option.

Damn though, imagine the hole shots with a sacked out boat.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
I was quoted between $22K and $25K for the diesel option from 15 different dealers throughout the nation.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
so you saying a $40k boat with this option will cost 62-65k
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
I find it very hard to believe that MC would sticker a motor marketed to "save gas" for such an extreme price. If you ran that motor all day everyday I still dont think you would ever reach a savings over a straight V8. I guess its possible but still hard to believe.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
What do you think diesel particulant (the black smoke) thats common with diesel will do to a lakes water. Is Diesel better for the lake?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Question #2 Does a Diesel like the one in the picture weigh more than a regular V8?

#3 Can you add the Bubb Rubb whistle tip to the exhaust so your boat makes that cool Turbo whine?
LOL J/K
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
G the new motor lists @ 325kg = 715 lbs
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Think they'll sell any for that much extra cost?? Were it a $3200, I bet they'd be surprised about how many people would be interested in it...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
22k for the diesel engine?? I don't get it.

I really doubt diesel or gas is any better any worse for the lake. Both make particulates, but perhaps the diesel makes more.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-26-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Do you have to sit and let the thing warm up for a minute everytime you start it like a truck. If so that would get pretty old as much as you start a boat.

I think it is a cool idea but at that price I can not see it selling very well.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
I heisted this from a MC press release -
"At the same time, the TDI 225-6 uses variable turbo charging and an extremely fast electronic management to offer even more spontaneous acceleration than gasoline engines of supposedly higher rating – eliminating any noticeable trace of previously known “turbo lag”.

Users of this new diesel option will, in comparison with the gasoline power options, enjoy very similar top speeds, but even stronger acceleration especially at lower speeds.

This advantage is accompanied with a cut in average fuel consumption of at least 50% in typical ski boat use, which is in most countries further enhanced by the price advantage of diesel fuel against gasoline.

Finally, the sophisticated engine management system qualifies all Volkswagen Marine engines as stringent “Non Smokers”. Their emission standards are so advanced that they are welcome on any skiing waters in the world, as long as combustion engines are allowed there at all."

So it sounds like gas savings and lower emissions w/o a performance decrease are the main goals of this option.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
unless you go somewhere where there are 50 foot yachts, I think you are going to have a hard time finding Diesel on the lake. Who wants to take the boat out and bring it to the gas station mid day. I know I wouldn't. I think it is a cool idea but it will take a while.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-26-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
at 50% fuel savings, I would not need to pull the boat mid day.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Every diesel I have seen has a lowwwww redline. How other than prop pitch will this thing keep up in top speed? The torque of a diesel could run a pretty silly (speed)pitch and still pull out of the hole like a mule. Given more prop pitch (to mantain top speed) wouldn't cavitation be severely worse out of the hole?

I'm in no way a prop engineer but I'm aware of basic principles... Maybe they add some sort of transmission for slower speed or higher speed possibly a CVT like VW have in cars and to not have the sudden jerk of a standard shift? In this case I would suppose it could quantify some of the cost but adding a tranny to a gas engine would effectively get the same advantages I would think or could get away with less motor more gear in non-diesel boat as well? Heck I often times think cruising across the lake when its smooth 3500rpm @ 30-something mph is silly but it IS a wakeboat.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-26-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
It would make it a lot easier to transport fuel to the dock and fill up if I ran diesel.

And I bet you could run off-road diesel for awhile and get away with it. I'm not certain the restrictions of off-road diesel in marine application.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
There would be no problem w/ it at all. You could run Red all day long and they couldn't do a thing to you.

In Europe however, they are trying to pass a law, or maybe already have, to make it illegal. Prob. not long before you see it here.

As far as finding diesel on the lakes.... every lake I go to here has diesel.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2007, 5:23 PM Reply   
Want to save on fuel costs today? Check into Toyota Epic. It has the Lexus V-8 used in the LS sedan. Compared to other inboard engines, this one sips gas and has top notch quality and reliability. Here are the specs...

VT 300i Specifications:
* Horsepower 300 hp 6,000 rpms
* Maximum torque 310 lb.-ft. 4,200 rpms
* Cylinder block & head aluminum alloy
* Weight (with/without transmission) 628 lbs./566 lbs. without fluids
* Engine layout V 90/8 cylinders
* Valve mechanism 32 valve twin DOHC, belt & gear driven
* Exhaust manifolds Stainless steel
* Displacement 4.0-liters
* Power to weight ratio 0.53 lbs. per horsepower

For my first 8 hours of use this season, I only used 20 gallons for a mix of towing, cruising, some WOT and some 5 mph no wake. Even I was amazed by this. I'm going to track this a bit more, but on the Toyota Epic website, others post about high fuel economy that is superior to pretty much anything out there. www.epicmarine.com.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
But, I have to say that this engine looks interesting. I don't think I could smell diesel fumes all day, though.
Old     (txhntr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
I own a toyota epic and LOVE IT. I spend the whole day on the lake boarding and idling, i almost never shut it off, and after 7 hours i have barely used 5 gallons of gas...
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-27-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
Michael, I don't buy it. 5 gallons in 7 hours doesn't seem possible. Especially when the guy a couple posts above you in the thread reports using 20 gallons in 8 hours. I don't think my boat could idle for 7 hours on 5 gallons of gas.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
it gets better fuel effeciency than a 40 h.p. honda outboard. Seems like a stretch to me.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
^^^^The reason that Lexus motor sips gas is because it doesn't have any power, look at those engine specs compared to most of the Indmar specs it's a joke. I wouldn't want to board behind an anemic motor like that. You wouldn't be able to add any wieght to that thing and still get on plane.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on July 27, 2007)

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on July 27, 2007)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
I believe this diesel probably has a much higher redline than the traditional heavy duty truck diesel. I have two volvo diesels in a 31 Tiara. They red line at 3900. The boat gets to cruise almost instantly with no cavitation. However, these high reving diesels don't run as long as their lower reving fathers. I think its a great idea but I'm not keen on a VW engine. Maybe a Yanmar would be better.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
rpm difference will be addressed with a different trans gear ratio.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-27-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Red diesel. I'm buying one. that will save a tone on fuel.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=WorldApart&sub=power
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
NuBu - I board with a 350 Mag and the numbers are less than the Lexus. It pulls mine and a lot boats out of the water just fine.
Regardless, for the sake that diesel fumes will always make me think of Salmon fishing in Westport, WA, getting seasick, throwing up all down the side of the boat and watching seagulls eat it, only to throw up some more, I would not have a diesel in a board boat. I'll save that for the 30' plus.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
I agree, I don't think diesel makes sense until you get over 30' with a larger beam boat where your pushing a lot of displacement. The mess, noise, smell, oil filters, fuel filters, turbo repairs, injectors, gallons of oil, and a decent mechanic. Forget it. I'll stick with gas for a small boat.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
lol, show a freakin Hybrid & pay attention
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-27-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Guys, these "marine diesels" have no smell. Their emissions are STRICT!!!! If your that worried about, you could always add a FAE. The sound on these particular motors is very similar to a throaty V8.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-27-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
All I know is from now on Fatsac will forever be known as "Seagull Puke"

(Message edited by iagainsti on July 27, 2007)
Old     (txhntr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
ok, i like to post on sites where i dont get flamed for adding input. I go by how many gallons of gas i put in the boat. Example, went out last weekend and ran for 7 hours, tank was full when we went out. When we finished i filled it up and it took 5.2 gallons. And this boat is far from anemic. If you want a ride behind it bring yourself to lubbock texas and i will take you out. Dont knock it till you try it...
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-27-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
I'm no engine statistic jockey, but I can tell you that the Lexus engine has more than enough power. I've never had any complaints from any of my riders about lack of power, etc. In fact, what I typically get are compliments. It really is a great engine.

Indmar, of course, makes larger engines than the Lexus and many of those engines are in boats that are much larger than a Toyota Epic. No big deal there.

Anyhow, I did not realize that I was using 2.5 gallons per hour. This was less than I thought I was using and I was pleasantly surprised by the economy. To be honest, I think that other tanks of gas have burned slightly faster, but I wasn't measuring those. (Perhaps 1-3 GPH faster.)

Beyond my boat and some postings on the Epic site, I don't really have a frame of reference on how much gas inboards use. Does anyone know how many gallons per hour inboards generally use with typical mix of towing, cruising, WOT, 5 mph no wake, etc.? I've never seen it discussed here and I'm curious. What have you found?

P.S. Glad to see that fumes shouldn't be an issue with the diesel.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
My boat uses between 6-7 gph on a typical day at the lake. 2.5 is great if that's what you're getting.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
MC doesn't expect the US market to sell many diesels. My dealer said that there won't be many dealers that actually have any on the lot because of the high option price. The engine is targeting the european market.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
The European market is screaming out for a diesel option. With so many cars being diesel's in Europe, there is absolutely no stigma attached to going for diesel power - in fact many people are benefiting from the lower running costs due to extended service periods, fantastic fuel consumption (as an example my audi does over 50mpg, kicks out 180bhp, all from a 1.9litre VW diesel engine).

I would jump at a diesel powered boat any day of the week but the price needs to be right, a diesel car costs on average £1500, or $3000, more than the petrol alternative, if mastercraft or others were offering a diesel option with the same cost adder then would be on to a winner!