Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
After no contact from the shop for 24 hours, I decided to call. The service manager let me know that they didn't get to the boat yet, but would get to it at 10am or so the next day and let me have an estimate by that afternoon. As you can probably tell, the afternoon came and we didn't get a phone call. Anyone else have this happen to them? I know it depends on how many boats are in front of yours, but do they at least asses your boat and then get back to the ones in front of you? Or do you have to wait until they're completely done servicing the other boats before they can give you an estimate? Not getting a phone call back after someone says they'll call is a pet-peeve of mine, so I might just be being difficult. I call people back at work all the time whether I want to or not, even if it's just to say I'm still working on it. Am I crazy for wanting the same in return? Any advice? There are plenty of other service shops in Austin I could take it to if necessary.
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-19-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
No your not crazy. If they said they were going to call then they should of called. I wouldn't be happy not very confident in them.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-19-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
There's places like that everywhere. In the towboat industry it seems to have gotten worse as the prices went up. There is a dealer here that if you don't pull up in a Benz or a BMW good luck getting them to talk to you.

Bottom line if your not happy go get your boat and don't go back. I don't think you are asking to much.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
IMPO...Depending on what you where told when you dropped the boat off. Getting to it within the 24hr period could be very tuff if there are a bunch of boats there getting worked on. Put yourslef in the other guys shoes for a second..if I quit working on your boat to go check out another boat and then check out another boat....and then check out another boat. You get the point your boat would never get done or take a lot longer. Thats why checking out a boat within 24 hrs with other boats in front of you is tuff. I know we ALWAYS try to get them checked out ASAP it just helps to keep the ball rolling if you will. If we have to order parts and what not.
Now that being said..When he told you he would get to it by 10 or so and did not.And then never called you back to tell you what was going on. Thats where you have the right to be upset.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-19-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Keep in mind, if you didnt buy the boat from them, you usually get bumped to the bottom. Either way, it sounds like crappy customer service, which is a huge pet peeve of mine also. If you have another certified mechanic in town, i would call them and let them know what happened to you. Chances are you will get your estimate right away.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-19-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have heard good things about Ace Marine in Austin, TX.

For some reason I think you're boat may be at CTWS. Their service is pretty poor and I have several friends that have Malibu's in Austin who will echo my sentiment.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       09-19-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
Some backing out on there word is also a pet peeve of mine as well. Depending where your at and other places around you to get it worked on would be a big factor for me. If theyre the only one around I'd give them another day or so, but if there 2 or 3, you can always go get your boat if they dont want your business.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
Just walk away - it is a sign that they will tell you two weeks and it ends up being two months at twice the cost. Every time I run into this I walk. It is the only way to show crappy customer service how not to do business. Just go, say your there to pick up your boat, and watch as they tell you they were just getting to it or were just about to get to it. Don't fall for it. That is a tell tell sign they are lying to you and won't start telling you the truth anytime soon.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post

For some reason I think you're boat may be at CTWS. Their service is pretty poor and I have several friends that have Malibu's in Austin who will echo my sentiment.
You know, I might try Ace Marine if this current place doesn't call me in the morning. They only have a few reviews online, but they seem to have better results than another place I was thinking about trying. But, who knows... this place might call me tomorrow morning and get it all straightened out (look at me being all "glass half full").
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-19-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
That's pretty standard with every dealer in Austin, if you didn't buy it from them you're in the back of the line and may continue to slide down depending on what shows up. It's also the time of year that people are beginning to have things winterized which means more boats coming in. There's not anything that you can't learn to do with any boat, the more you do the easier it gets so find the manufacturers forum, ask questions and have at it. Sail and Ski would be my dealer, occasionally I stop for a part and to read the labor rate sign, they're welcome to see a picture of my boat but that's as close they'll ever get to it. The only thing that would change my mind about that would be warranty work and even then I would prefer they just hand me the parts I can take care of the rest.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       09-19-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
Thing I've learned about boat shops. Drop it off and just plan to not see it for a while. And I'm sure a cash bribe would put ur boat at the front of the list haha. Money talks!
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
- Update -

I called Ace Marine today to see if they could work on it. They said yes and that they usually have their repairs done in a week unless of course they have to wait for a part to come in or something like that which I completely understand.

I called the current shop the boat is at and they said the service manager was out on a lake call and would be back at 12. I let him know that they told me I would have a call back yesterday with an estimate but they never called. The guy on the phone said they had a big event yesterday and people were all over the place (again, that's not my problem). Right before he pushed me to his voicemail I said I didn't want to leave a voicemail because he didn't call me back last time. I then asked if the key was still in it, he said I had to talk to the service manager for that. So, I guess that's that.

My wife's only weekend off this month is next weekend which is why I wanted all this done asap. Sigh...
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:

^^^ Bingo! That's exactly where it's at. I didn't want to throw their name out there but I guess I won't be going there again so it doesn't matter. Their sales staff might be awesome, so don't think differently of that side of Central Texas Water Sports. The service side however... not so friendly.

I worked customer service while my wife and I were in college. I've heard all about best practices and sat through classes on "how to best service the customer". All of that was fine and well but what really works is answering the phone politely and being honest with customers. That's it. A lot of times it's not what you say, it's how you say it. After all, they're not doing us a favor by working on our boat, we're doing them a favor by bringing it in to their shop.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-20-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Man that really sucks. I am very lucky to have a great dealer/service department 15 minutes from my house. They have had my prop, drive shaft and rutter fixed and replaced in the same day. I have seen them jump through some hoops for a lot of customers. My dealer is a Mastercraft dealer but I constantly see Malibus from Austin, Nautiques from San Antonio, and other Mastercrafts from Austin and Houston. I am sure they can't make everyone happy but they have always been great for me and other customers that I have met. It is amazing to me how many bad service/mechanic shops there are.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-20-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Who really cares about their sales department if their service sucks?? Your only going to buy the boat once. Where you are going to have it serviced and repaired quite often during the life of the boat. A good service department is what makes a dealer.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
** Another update ** they said they'll have it fixed by end of day tomorrow with a phone call this time! Here's hoping! If it all checks out, I'm going to feel like a huge jerk for writing this topic... forgive me y'all!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-20-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Proofs in the pudding
What was your boat needing service for, if you don't mind me asking?
could be something easily fixed
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-20-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
You should not feel like a jerk...they told you one thing and did the other.

CTWS has a bad rep for service.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Proofs in the pudding
What was your boat needing service for, if you don't mind me asking?
could be something easily fixed
Automatic bilge pump went out, the gauge says it was running hot, and all 3 bellows needed replacing.

Bilge pump I might've been able to handle with a buddy and some time, but I wouldn't have a clue on where to start with the other things.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-20-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
What are bellows?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
bellows or impellers? There is a bellows boot on I/O's I think but I think there is only 1.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
Things you guys don't have to worry about. I don't think inboards have them (we have an i/o... I know... but hey, it's paid off and we can still throw backrolls behind it!). They're basically accordion looking hoses that connect the outdrive to the boat. They were damaged which meant water was flowing freely into the boat. I noticed it when the water hit the ski locker. How scary is that?! The bilge light was on meaning it was trying to throw water out, but no water was coming out. I think the volume of water just took out the bilge pump. He checked the temperature of the boat at running speed as well. Turns out the gauge was off. A thermometer shows it runs around 145 F.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-20-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
What are bellows?
I believe its an I/O thing. Not that it should matter, but if the OP has an I/O and took the boat for repair at a mainly inboard focused dealer, that would probably explain the push to the back of the line. I know my local dealer only accepts I/O work when they are hurting for business, and even then they will only work on late 90's I/O's because of the electronic nature of them vs. old school with hacked wiring, more problems, etc.
Old    9Drozd            09-20-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
You need new boots and bellows. Its about an $800 to $1000 job. takes about 4 hours to do if you don't run into anything else. Sometimes when the boots and bellows give, depending how long it was leaking, the next thing to go would be your gimble bearing.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-20-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
You need new boots and bellows. Its about an $800 to $1000 job. takes about 4 hours to do if you don't run into anything else. Sometimes when the boots and bellows give, depending how long it was leaking, the next thing to go would be your gimble bearing.
About $450 from them parts and labor. I think they're just replacing the actual rubber accordion looking things. The rest was okay. They said it was caught really early which is key. Any longer and we'd be replacing the parts that the rubber pieces cover... that would've been a lot more expensive I have a feeling!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-20-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
Three bellows on a Merc. I/O,drive shaft,exhaust,and shift cable.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-20-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
JT is right on. Just did 2 sets last fall on my 36 Carver with twins. Gimble bearings are standard change with a bellows job. Actually per mercury it is 8.5 hour job. If you can get it done for $450 get all over it. Should easily be twice that. Most places charge between 950-1200. The new kit will replace the Exhaust bellows with a pvc pipe and it will be just a bit louder on plane.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-21-2012, 4:25 AM Reply   
Get your boat, I understand busy but a phone call only takes a minute and breaking promises is a bad omen. If you need bellows it only takes 5 mins to check the bellows and verify they need replacing. Don't waste $800+ on this job. It's easy to do in well under a day. this is a maybe 3-4 hour job if you know what you're doing and overall very simple.

Not sure what Outdrive you have but kits aren't too expensive. About $150 for everything.

Alpha 1 gen 1: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/SIE...by+Sierra.html
Alpha 1 gen 2: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/SIE...by+Sierra.html

Replace the impeller while you have the drive off. Impeller alone is $10-$15. Kit to repair/replace the impeller housing and associated parts is $30 or so, and another $10 or so for gear oil and a low to upper gasket. This stuff is cheap and easy regular maintenance, no reason to pay a shop.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-21-2012, 6:23 AM Reply   
Shop labor time per mercury is 8.5 hours for a bellows kit. If you can do one in 3 you should be doing it for a living. I'd love to see you do one in 3, matter of fact I'd make a SIZEABLE wager that it would never happen. Heck shop labor for just a water pump is 1.5 hour per mercury. I give you the times because most shops bill flat rate not actual time. Can a good mechanic who has done 100 bellows beat the time, sure, but not by 5 hours I doubt. A bellows repair isn't something you want to try on your own unless you are familiar with the outdrives. You have to pull the whole drive off the boat and they aren't light. You need at least 2 special mercury tools, one for the trim switches and one for something else. I helped a buddy do one and wouldn't do one again without a outdrive jack. It's not hard if you know your way around the garage, but the things heavy and I sure don't want to think your doing it in 3 hours. If you've never done a mercruiser water pump that would take you 3 hours.

If you haven't done it or know someone who has it's a job that will take you the weekend or you may get in over your head. I have seen many a boat sit with the outdrive off all season because people tried to do it themselves. It's usually about a $1000 bill. The kit is about $150 and the rest is all labor.

Sorry Cory I'm not trying to bust you out, but I'm a mechanic (caterpillar) and a bellows R/R isn't a walk in the park. Just don't want to see the OP get in over his head.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-21-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Where do these people come from?You need a special tool just to get at the bellows on a Merc. I/O .If you're not mechanically inclined the job will be impossible.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
I am wondering why the OP to it to an inboard dealer. Next time, just take it to a I/O dealer.

IMO I would not want an inboard dealer serviving the outdrive of my I/O. I'm sure they can do it just fine but they maybe do a half dozen a year versus a true I/0 shop that does a couple hundred a year.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am wondering why the OP to it to an inboard dealer. Next time, just take it to a I/O dealer.

IMO I would not want an inboard dealer serviving the outdrive of my I/O. I'm sure they can do it just fine but they maybe do a half dozen a year versus a true I/0 shop that does a couple hundred a year.
I'm a noob, I don't know what an OP is. Is that me in the situation? Next time I will just take it to a marina that offers more variety. I went to the current place on a spur of the moment decision since they're way closer to the house than the other shops in town. My bad.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-21-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Don't worry man OP means original post.You live and learn,just like we ALL have on here.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Yeah Ryan - I did not mean to offend.

Turst me - I have had my share of live and learn moments.!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-21-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Todd, last time I did a bellows and water pump on an Alpha one was 2-3 years ago and it was my first. To replace bellows, replace water pump, replace gimbal bearing, align engine, and replace/service misc. other parts was less than a full day of work. This was an Alpha One Gen 1 drive. Gen 2, Bravo, Volvo/Cobra may be different... I'm not a boat mechanic so I don't know. Bellows and water pump on the Alpha setup on my last boat was not bad. Straightforward job. Getting one of the bellows on was a bit of a pain, I want to say it was the driveshaft bellows. It is a little tight. All said and done including misc. other stuff probably closer to most of the day. Easy Saturday job for anyone reasonably handy.

Also, Alpha drives are not that heavy. One man can move then around and install/remove (I want to say 70-80 lbs). Two makes it faster and easier. FWIW I did have a helper to reinstall the drive and align it, but have done it alone several times. Would have taken a lot longer climbing in and out to adjust/check/etc.

My point is, anyone can do this stuff. I'm not a mechanic and have had no formal automotive or marine training, but I've built engines, transmissions, axles, done body work and quarter panel replacement, and restored cars. It's not rocket science. If you're mechanically inclined it's easy, if not, you can probably muddle through it. There is a lot of money to be saved by doing this stuff yourself. I've always had an attitude of never pay someone else to do something you can do yourself, and I also don't trust other people to work on my toys as I've seen how many shops work (bang out the job, little attention to detail, etc.) so I just learn to do everything myself. If I need a tool, I have no qualms about spending money on quality tools. Use it once or twice and it pays for itself, use it again and you're saving money.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah Ryan - I did not mean to offend.

Turst me - I have had my share of live and learn moments.!
Took no offense. This is our first boat to own ourselves, so we're learning as we go. In the words of my father - B.O.A.T.

Bust - Out - Another - Thousand

I'm just happy I've got a place to go and vent and get advise from others who have already been in my situation. We're still very young, so I think I'll have many more questions as time goes on!
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
*** Another Update ***

If you've been keeping up with the story, here's another chapter.

Yesterday I called them saying I want to take it somewhere else. He said I was more than welcome to do that, but they would have to charge me labor because it was "all apart" and that he was just about to call me with an estimate. I said since it's all apart, can you give me an estimate now and let me know how long it would take? He said it would be right around $500 after tax, and that he would have it done tomorrow and give me call. We then talked about a few other things I had questions about. After we wrapped that up I said "okay, so y'all could have it done tomorrow or Saturday?". He said "no, it'll get done tomorrow and we'll call".

Not only did he said they would have it done and call by today... he said it twice. I gave him the opportunity to back out and say not tomorrow, the next day... but he didn't take the bait.

This makes me thing it wasn't all apart like he said it was. It also makes me wonder if his estimate is going to go up since they're having it for longer than they said...

Please feel free to learn from the mistakes I'm making.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
Never hurts to make an unexpected visit from time to time
too easy to BS someone over the phone but when you're there in person its another story
if it truly fixed by Saturday morning and cost $500 consider yourself fortunate
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-21-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
Did you get a call about it being done? How far are you from the service center?
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-21-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
When you dropped it off, did you sign something saying you would have to pay for an estimate? I would have called BS on an estimate if they didn't notify you in some way - whether it be by the paperwork when you dropped it off or by a phone call first.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 4:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Did you get a call about it being done? How far are you from the service center?
Didn't get a call about it being done, despite the fact that he told me, twice, that it would be done today. Surprising right? I don't live too far. Maybe 15 miles? I might stop by there tomorrow around lunch time if they don't call me by then. The website says they're open from 9 - 4 on Saturday's. Not sure if that includes the service department though.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
If the service department is slammed they should be turning wrenches 6 days a week
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
Ryan - I'd go over there, pick up ur boat and take it to another shop.

Be polite about it and move on!
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ryan - I'd go over there, pick up ur boat and take it to another shop.

Be polite about it and move on!
I'll be calm and go talk with them tomorrow morning. I'm just worried they'll threaten to charge me for labor again if I try to tow it out of there. I know now that if I take it somewhere else it'll be even longer before I'm able to put it on the water, so I feel kinda stuck. This time though, I don't know what they'll have to say for themselves. It was a clear statement that they would have it done and call me by the end of the day which didn't happen. I understand that things come up, but I don't understand why they couldn't call to say they didn't get it done. All I'm trying to do is get it fixed so I can take my family out on the water before the season winds down.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
Was it done?
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-21-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
I did my own on a alpha 1 Gen 1. All bellows shift cable and gimball bearing. I would have had it done in one. night but I could not get one of the hing bolts out and had to cut it. Shift cable was the worst part only because there was no room. One tool that would have been nice to have is the tool that holds the drive shaft bellow. But I did it without. They do them around here in the parking lot of the marinas and takes them around 3 hours give or take.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-21-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
He said he'd have it done today for $500. $300-$350 labor is a lot but not ridiculous. Surprise visit tomorrow AM, early, and see if it's done.If they haven't touched it take your boat and don't look back. If it's apart there better be a guy working on it and a good excuse... i.e. everything corroded and rusted to hell and not an easy bang it out bellows job. They're probably BSing you though, no reason to not call end of day and say sorry, part X broke and we need to order, bolt Y rusted and had to grind it out, gonna be another day, etc. Bottom line, go look and see, they said your boat was part, it better be inside and apart when you show up unannounced.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Did you sign a work order permitting them to disassemble your boat?
Was there a dollar amount indicated for estimates?
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
He said he'd have it done today for $500. $300-$350 labor is a lot but not ridiculous. Surprise visit tomorrow AM, early, and see if it's done.If they haven't touched it take your boat and don't look back. If it's apart there better be a guy working on it and a good excuse... i.e. everything corroded and rusted to hell and not an easy bang it out bellows job. They're probably BSing you though, no reason to not call end of day and say sorry, part X broke and we need to order, bolt Y rusted and had to grind it out, gonna be another day, etc. Bottom line, go look and see, they said your boat was part, it better be inside and apart when you show up unannounced.
Another thing he said was that since they had it apart they checked everything that gets exposed when a bellows goes bad. His words were, "it all checks out fine, you have a nice boat". He talked about how we caught it early which was very important with a problem like this. All the more reason it shouldn't take them this long.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Did you sign a work order permitting them to disassemble your boat?
Was there a dollar amount indicated for estimates?
I didn't sign a work order, I just spoke with them in person when I dropped it off. He took my info, showed me the major part he could see that was wrong with it, and that was that. The rubber housing was clearly broken off which is what was letting water in the boat. There was a dollar amount estimated to me over the phone by him which was $500.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
nothing signed? not good for either parties, if this doesn't pan out it could get drug through the court systems
I'd be at the shop bright and early, try to work things out but don't leave without your boat
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-21-2012, 7:22 PM Reply   
From dealing with boats most of my life, I don't think the time involved here is out of line, although the communication is at least frustrating. The one thing that gets me since I grew up in Austin and still live around the area is why did you take it there? When I checked you profile and saw you had a Sea Ray I really thought it was at Sail and Ski, they're the dealer for those. Last time I checked CTWS only sells Malibu's, I think they are the only dealer in Austin that doesn't sell multiple lines, at the very least they would have to go somewhere else for parts because they don't deal with I/O's on a daily basis so I doubt they stock parts for them. Unlike other places Austin has no lack of boat repair shops and the only place I can think of where you would be 15 miles from one is if you live downtown. Don't mean to excuse the poor service or call you out on something that is out of your control, but it just looks like a bad match taking that boat to that shop and I think that's part of the problem your having.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-21-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_foilhead View Post
From dealing with boats most of my life, I don't think the time involved here is out of line, although the communication is at least frustrating. The one thing that gets me since I grew up in Austin and still live around the area is why did you take it there? When I checked you profile and saw you had a Sea Ray I really thought it was at Sail and Ski, they're the dealer for those. Last time I checked CTWS only sells Malibu's, I think they are the only dealer in Austin that doesn't sell multiple lines, at the very least they would have to go somewhere else for parts because they don't deal with I/O's on a daily basis so I doubt they stock parts for them. Unlike other places Austin has no lack of boat repair shops and the only place I can think of where you would be 15 miles from one is if you live downtown. Don't mean to excuse the poor service or call you out on something that is out of your control, but it just looks like a bad match taking that boat to that shop and I think that's part of the problem your having.
Yeah. Like I said in previous posts, it's my fault for not investigating the place before I called. We live near Pflugerville, so this place was the closest. The marina near lake austin is way across town and sail and ski didn't come to mind when the boat was sinking underneath my feet! When I saw the water inside the boat reach the ski locker, I just kinda freaked out and wanted to start getting it fixed asap.

The reason I was okay with dropping it off there initially was because the service manager on the phone said it was no problem working on that kind of boat. In fact, he had only nice things to say about our type of boat. Plus, when I drove in I saw a handful of i/o's in the parking lot. They must be there for service or sale (I don't think they offer boat storage there. But if that's the case they could've been there for that too). The thing that was coming into question wasn't the time frame of how long it would take to service the boat. I think a week is actually pretty decent turn around time. What was coming into question however is the practice of not communicating with your customers. I was curious to see if that's how it is everywhere, or just this place.

Either way though, I do admit that I was in the wrong for taking it there. I'm learning as I go. Next time i'll take it elsewhere for sure. Chalk this one up to being a first time boat owner.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-21-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
You live 15 mi away, that's 15min in my book, maybe a half hr depending on city conditions. Dude- you're a effin WIMP (putting it nicely) for not dropping in on them after they (apparently) lied the first time. A sucker born every day. Sorry to be brutal but I hit a tree, destroyed the running gear on the fam boat. The.dealer dealt with insurance and had it back to us in 10 days. You need 500 in work done. This was 3500... Laughable, they are screwing you because you let them. 15 miles. Nice.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
I would go in the shop this morning, truck ready to tow it out. Go in with the expectation that it is done, as they said it would be done yesterday. At that point they need to answer for not having it done when promising it would be done yesterday multiple times.

If it is not done and not apart, tow it out and don't pay a dime. If it is apart, you are a bit out of luck but I'd be pushing for it to be done ASAP and not paying full price for the repair either. They chose to promise the timeline.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-22-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
* Update *

When I drove in this morning I saw it completely assembled near the service area. I spoke with the service manager who let me know that it was done and they were just about to take it for a lake test. I asked if it would be done today to which he replied "in an hour or so". I asked if they would call me either way to say it's done or that it needed a little bit more work. He said they would. I reminded him that I was expecting a call yesterday but no one called, not even to say they're still working on it. His reply was "not for argumentative sake, but if we we're on the phone all day we couldn't work on boats".

I get the feeling that I'm just a problem for them. I take the blame though. I was frustrated and just wanted someone, anyone, to start working on the boat. I should've investigated the place first, but I didn't. I won't bother them again with myself or my boat and will be much more patient to the next service shop I go to.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-22-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
BS if they said they would call they should have called.They should have taken the time at the end of the day before running out of the shop to go home.If their business is so great that they can just shrug you off like that screw them and take it to a business that appreciates your business.I would also let everyone you know with a boat know what crappy service they gave you.I'm sure there's plenty of shops around you that would at least care enough to take the time to call you and let you know what the status was.Let them know after you pay them that you and anyone you know will never get work done there again.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
I have heard so many stories about how crappy their service is. Those fools could not even hook up hoses right on my friends 2010 Vride during a summerization.

Stay away from Central Texas Watersports!!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-22-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
And they sell Malibus???What a joke.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-22-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
And they sell Malibus???What a joke.
They do... And used boats I think as well. When I drove in they were staging a pretty new looking bass boat. That makes me thing they do service boats other than inboards on a regular basis.

Judging by how many Malibus I see around here, they might be doing well in the sales area. In fact, when I dropped my boat off originally a sales person was wrapping up with a customer who was buying some kind of new Malibu at that very moment.

Last edited by petrie141; 09-22-2012 at 8:22 AM.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
That "if we made phone calls all day we couldn't work on boats" excuse is total BS. If they are that busy with repair work, they can EASILY hire a minimum wage office worker to simply field and return phone calls. That is nothing but a way to excuse their poor customer service.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-13-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Yet another update....

Well, it turns out that the dealership had another screw up. I was only able to put about 10 or so hours on the boat after having it serviced before my drive fluid reservoir cap BLEW OFF which sent oil everywhere (including the water somehow) . I took the boat into a different place to have it looked at. There was water in areas where there should NEVER be water. Places like the bellows (which CTWS just replaced), the drive, and others. There are many theories behind what could cause such a problem, one of which could be the fact that there was a VICE CLAMP left on an oil line which prevented any flow of fluid! So far they also can't see any sign of a bellows adhesive. Either CTWS was incredibly clean or they didn't use any adhesive when securing the bellows, both of which I guess possible.

It would be absolutely worthless for us to go back to CTWS and say you left your vice clamp on an oil line. It would be a he said - she said type of thing. All I know is that other than putting the plug in and gas in the boat, I have not ONCE poked around in the engine compartment. The new dealership is going to send me some pictures as they go along fixing everything.

$1,700 - $????? to fix it and if the new dealer doesn't have parts in stock, I'll be waiting to get it back until after Thanksgiving.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
I believe I said above that was far to cheap for a bellows job. Everyone around here quotes $1000-$1200 minimum. Now you know why. Like they say anything that seems to good to be true usually is. They probably think you got over on them because it cost them so much more than what they quoted you in labor. I believe the merc manual quotes somewhere around 8.5-10 hours flat rate for a bellows job. Its a major repair.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-13-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
Wow, crappy story. Sorry bout your luck.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-13-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
There is no way i would be paying $1700 for a repair that I already paid someone else for and they screwed it up. I would take it back and make them make it right.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-13-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
That sucks! I would definately have taken it back to ctws when the problem first occured instead of another shop. Not you can't really go back to ctws and say y'all messed up but another shop is fixing it and expect much from ctws. But this is why you either learn how to do it yourself. Or find a shop and is great and go to them with everything
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       11-13-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
There is no way i would be paying $1700 for a repair that I already paid someone else for and they screwed it up. I would take it back and make them make it right.
I HERE Ya todd! they need to do it right or help foot the bill!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-13-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
^ Owner should have gone and gotten his boat from CTWS at the first sign of problems back at the first post when we all said "dude go get your boat off their lot"

Live and learn...
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-13-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
Sorry about your situation but one thing you need to realize in the boating world...be thankful if you get your boat back from any dealer in a week IF it's for a repair. Routine service checks, including oil changes, impellar changes, etc...are usually done within the business week. I gather from your post this is your first boat. You have a ton to learn. Do your maintenance before the season starts, then in mid-season when dealers are caught up, then prior to storage for the winter/off-season. Of course I know we can't time when our boats break on us. There are dealers in Austin that will hold your boat for 2-3 weeks for simple stuff like winterizing. Also, YES dealers often prioritize their repeat customers over someone who did not buy their boat from them. This may not sound fair but boating is a luxury not a necessity so if a wakeboat dealer has a customer buying new $75k boats every year or every other year then don't blame them for putting that customer ahead of you (not saying you are blaming anyone...just letting you know how it is sometimes). I've owned 4 boats (2 of them wakeboats). Yes, I got mine from CTWS and have only had great things to say about sales and service there. They even wrote me a check for a referral when my friend bought a boat from them. Seems like one member on here likes to say only negative things about CTWS but not any other dealer. I will say this, my friend has a used wakeboat that he bought in Oklahoma, also his first boat. He did not take my warning on winterizing it because he leaves it outside. First day out this past year after not winterizing the motor and exhaust manifold were cracked. As we know that's an easy $7000 repair all day. He deployed to Afghanistan prior to the repairs and I towed his boat to CTWS a month before he came home. CTWS had his boat completely repaired and lake tested in barely 3 weeks to include the motor, rewire of his stereo system that had hideous wiring, and redoing the ballast system that half of it was not working. So not all experiences at this dealership are not bad. I've towed my boat to CTWS before (only 75 miles away) for routine service, dropped it off and hungout in Austin, then came back a few hours later ready to go. Good luck in your future of owning a boat. It is a blessing to have a boat but there will be those rare days/weeks when you'll second guess why you ever bought one. Remember, anyone can have a bad experience at a boat or car dealership...to bad it seems like that's all anyone wants to ever talk about.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-14-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Although I'm sure plenty of Bu owners, like AJ, have had a good experience with them, I'm still going with the wrong shop for the job. They sell pontoons's and inboards and although the mechanics should be able to work on anything, they are probably best at what they see most often. Advice from people on Wakeworld about an I/O is probably not the best either. Hope you get it fixed, if you continue to have issues finding a mechanic there are a few good ones out my way around Marble Falls if you don't mind a bit of a tow, about 45 min or so from G'town. First boat is always quite a learning experience, it gets easier as time goes on.