Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-14-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
Who got one? It's pretty sweet! So far SIRI is listening to me very well.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-14-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Ive had the option to upgrade from my 4 now but decided not worth it since i upgraded to ios5 and didnt use Siri before when i had it. Dont take enough pics either for better camera.

So id be curious to see how you all r enjoying it and if u upgraded from the iphone4.

This is the longest Ive ever had a phone (14 mos) and not sure i can wait till next summer lol
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-14-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
I just picked up ours today. Downloading the new version of iTunes as we speak. Hopefully transfering all my apps, contacts, bookmarks, etc... from my old 3GS will be easy.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-14-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
I just picked up my 4S a few minutes ago. The system was down so the guy just gave me the phone and said he would phone me once it was up and active. We deal with the company for our whole office and they are also a customer of ours so it works great. Just have to back up my current 4 and wait for the phone call. I was debating on whether or not I wait as well but since we have a corporate account once the new iPhone comes along I can just slide my plan to someone else and get a 5. Once I have everything up and running I'll provide more feedback.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
Did not get the new phone yet. Did upgrade to OS5 on all of my comoputers and devices. So far I like some of the changes. The drop down center is the best feature. Most droid's have done this for awhile, but great for iphone. I will get the new phone, just waiting about a month. The last 2 releases were a little buggy to start with. Got everything on icloud and it went flawlessly. Put a new SSD drive in my macpro and a fresh copy of lion and off to the races. So far so good.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
Just upgraded my 3GS and will be getting the new phone here soon.

Hey Buffalow, where do you "see" your cloud info?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-17-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Poser - Go to www.icloud.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-17-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
I got one. I love it, but I was on the 3GS. Siri is great. I said "where can I shoot machine guns in Vegas?". Boom.... " the gun store.".

Even gave me directions on gps.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Yhea I was skeptical of the icloud(I always had mobileme), but loving it. With wifi at my office - any one of my devices or my head guys with their devices, get near the office it automatically sinks everything up. If I change a job date it instantly changes every device instantly. Same with photos and such.

Hopefully grabbing my new iphone next week.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-19-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Well, I spoke too soon about my 4S. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. My phone battery won't last more than 4-5 hours...and that is with no activity, no wifi, no location services, nothing. I guess I guess a bad copy so I hope they just replace it on the spot.
Old     (wakeskatethis)      Join Date: May 2011       10-19-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
It turns out that Apple’s Siri used to be SRI’s Siri, and SRI’s Siri is… Are you ready? A spinoff of DARPA’s PAL (Perceptive Assistant that Learns) program, which SRI called CALO (Cognitive Agent that Learns and Organizes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdS4...ature=youtu.be
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-19-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Tell siri you want to have sex... Lol

4s isnt big enough change for me to switchfrom the 4. Had some time to play with my friends' phones and they regret upgrading from the 4.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-21-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
^^^ I agree.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-21-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
You're right. There isn't much of a change but what I do really like is my 4S is a 64g. My 32 on my 4 was never enough. I use my phone quite a lot for music on the boat and other places and I was getting pretty tired of what was on there and I don't like having to change things around all of the time. I just want it all there and now I can.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-21-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
I think the faster A5 processor, new camera (1080), and SIRI are huge upgrades over the 4. They swapped out my phone with a new one and the battery is great now. Love my new 4S!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-21-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
I think the faster A5 processor, new camera (1080), and SIRI are huge upgrades over the 4. They swapped out my phone with a new one and the battery is great now. Love my new 4S!
Not to say ur wrong but have u seen the 2 compared side by side by the tech guys. u might b shocked to see how it loads a page vs the 4.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-22-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
I'm happy I upgraded.
Sprint does seem to be a little slower than AT&T, but I'll put up with it so I don't have to deal with AT&T.
Only complaints are the lack of crossfading, and when I transfered my apps, all my scores disappeared. I have to start from the beginning on all my angry birds games. And I had almost $60 million on my poker game that took me almost 2 years to get there, now $0.
Oh well, starting over will be a new challenge.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
The Iphone 4S so needed a screen update. Larger & higher resolution. I am surprised they didn't do this. Perhaps Job's departure is already showing through.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-22-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Nope...just wait for the next iphone. It will be what your looking for. It was Jobs' last big project he was working on.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-22-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
For me the 4S will be a victim of their own success.
Battery life...happy with the 4 and the specs show the 4S actually has a lower standby time.

Speed...don't feel I need anything faster than my 4.

Siri...sounds cool, but it's really just a test. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I can wait till next year after many bugs get worked out

Camera...sound great, but my 4 takes great pictures and can't see the quality being that much of improvement.

I don't think Apple dropped the ball, I think the bar is very high and it's hard to make huge improvements every year.

My only disappointment is the lack of NFC..it sounds like it would be easy to add.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
McGaving - Check the quality difference with the new 4S lens.
http://gizmodo.com/5852832/how-much-...oved/gallery/1
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-24-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
No possible way. I've had every iphone made and my camera pictures were never that terrible.
Old    deltahoosier            10-24-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
Something is up with that image processing. It only takes 2meg pixels to actually cover your HD TV. A 1080 resolution TV is only around 2 meg pixels. Only reason for the higher pixel count is for editing (blowing pictures portions up in size). Video may be a slightly different issue, but, for pictures I don't know if this article is true. Maybe it is a lens issue, then maybe I can buy it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-25-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Siri only understands what I'm saying about 25% of the time. by the time it gets my request wrong a few times, I could have just found it on my own.

I would not consider Siri a reason to upgrade. my 2 cents.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-25-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
^^ I agree. You also can't have any background noise interfearing with it.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-25-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
megapixels don't matter much when you're comparing to a 1080 TV screen... the fact that the pixel count could cover the area has little to do with the clarity of the image you'd be seeing.
In general, more megapixels crammed into the same size camera sensor just results in smaller pixels... which means less light, and more noise.

As a guy who is still rockin' a 1st gen iPhone, I can tell ya... the images on that site aren't far from accurate. The biggest problem I see is that in the older pics, they aren't focussed properly and that adds to the negative appearance... of course, you couldn't focus with those early cameras the way you can with the newer ones, so that's pretty fair when comparing quality. The 4s has a bigger sensor, but it's also an better sensor. With larger photo diodes... handling low light better. The sensor also uses backside illumination just like the iPhone 4. Lastly, it's just better glass. A 4.28mm focal length and f/2.4 maximum aperture... in a phone??? pretty dang cool.

I've sat with friends and "tested" (in a very non-scientific way) many of the iPhones side by side and yes, the pics the newer ones yielded were shockingly better in comparison. I'd have a 4s already if my T-Mobile bill wasn't so darn cheap. Upgrading to any other carrier sounds horrible when you figure that extra 60 bones a month for our family plan.