Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-20-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
I am going to buy a newer boat in the spring. I have been looking since I sold my boat. It's been a long summer without a boat. Anyway, I am downsizing from a 27+ foot boat to a wakeboard boat that will fit in my garage. I am looking for something from 21-24ft long. My question is, what are the widest boats from 2003 to 2010. I can't afford new, but would like to stay below $40K. Going from such a large interior, I am really trying not to feel cramped. My boat was an older I/O and I think most wakeboard boats will have as much storage space as it had but maybe not as much seating. I do not want a direct drive as I believe it takes up too much interior space. I mostly ride a sky ski these days and would like to try surfing. Anyway, I am not looking for people to sell me their boat on WW today, I have to pay off some bills and get back from an extended business trip before I can actually buy a boat. My real question as I stated before is which manufacture has/had the largest interior and the widest hulls? Thanks for any input.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-20-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
many makes stretch the beam as far as the law allows. the maximum trailerable width allowed by law without a wide load permit is 102"
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-20-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
Centurion Avalanche is 100" wide as is the Sanger V230, the ENZO is "102 wide and I think the new Malibu's are also pushing 100" wide too.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Like Harold mentioned. 102 is pretty much the widest. The X80 is actually wider but I am guessing you aren't looking for the LON special. The Calabria ProV has to be about the most wide open interior there is. The problem is it is low profile compared to the newer boats. The seats are a low to the floor and the seat backs aren't real tall. I am not sure about the width of the Moomba XLV but that has a real big and open interior. It is a lot deeper than the Calabria as well. There are other's out there that are 100" to 102" and all have big interiors. Mastercraft X30 06 and newer, X45, Malibu LSV 2004-present, malibu 247, Centurion Enzo's, Supra 24SSV, Tige 24V, Sanger V230, Centurion Avalanche, etc...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-20-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Great answer Brett.

The hard part will be staying under 40K. For interior and seating space, the X45 and Malibu 247 are going to be hard to beat, but clearly most will be out of your price range unless you step back to 05.

You need to go to the boat shows as soon as they start and that will give you a great opportunity to get in many boats and see what fits your size requirements and budget.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
you can find some nice tiges in your price range 03 and up 22v 24v 22ve 24ve maybe even RZ2 all 102" wide. Great boats with tons of storage. Supra 24ssv is also a nice option.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
102" is the maximum width to tow in most jurisdictions with out having to run under wide load regulations.
But if you were to add a couple big wing mirrors to the tower you might get away with it.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-21-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
like everybody said there are a lot of boats that are 102'' wide I own a calabria there is a ton of room in them should be able to pick up a 08-09 for around 40k. you should have a lot of choices in boats for that price range. good luck with your serch.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-21-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
MB Sports F23 Tomcat has a 104" beam. That's the widest I know of. Check out the specs here. You may be able to find a used for $40K, but it will be hard. If had $50k to spend, no problem.

I am also a fan of the Calabria Pro-V. The interior is huge. Not only is the beam 102", but they don't waste a lot of that width with wide, inward sloping gunnels. So what you are left with is probably the widest interior you're going to find in any v-drive. Also, the cockpit is pushed forward leaving a very small bow. This makes the main seating area behind the windshield even bigger. The other thing I like about the Pro V, is the HUGE in-floor cooler. You can see it in this pic.

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
About three years ago, I went to the boat show with a measuring tape and took very specific measurements of the interior areas of all of the major boats. Interior space was a huge factor for me in buying a boat because of my family and friend's families. I've since bought my boat and threw these numbers away but I can tell you it was surprising the differences in interior room between all of the 23 foot boats. What I remember is the Malibu 23 LSV and the Sanger V230 had the most side to side and overall seating space. The MBs were close. Mastercrafts had the smallest interior seating room. I'm really happy with my Malibu 23LSV, and often have 6 to 7 adults with 6+ kids in the boat, including coolers and other gear. Hope this helps.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Note

I didn't measure Calabrias. There were none at the boat show. That pic above looks great.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-23-2010, 5:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the great replies. I love that picture of the Pro V above. That is a great picture. I have actually been looking at those in the last couple of months and they will definately will be a consideration. The Sanger V230 and the MB will also be a boats that are in the running. I like the MasterCrafts and the Malibu's, but they are more difficult to find which makes them more expensive. I am not a snob yet when it comes to a specific manufacture so I am keeping my eyes open. Thanks for all of the help. If anyone knows of other boats that will fit the bill, please post them. Pictures also really help.
Old     (Lohe)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-23-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Also if you are looking for more space consider the pickle fork boats for more bow room as well.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-23-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
Cole....I understand what your looking for. But for me, I would sacrifice a little bit of room, for the right boat. I would look for something that put out the best wake for your purpose, is built the best, and has the best features. Like someone said earlier, in the 23 foot range, the amount of space will all be pretty close. I think some of the newer boats are being more innovative with seating and storage and other features that will help you look past a smaller interior.

Here's a pic of an '08 230 for example. It looks smaller than the Pro-V, but the arrangement, I think is perfect. I think you'd be surprised how many people you can fit in one of these larger boats regardless of how much room the tape measure shows. In the end, I would consider your price point, quality, and features above finding the widest boat. I think after many years you will be happier to find something that has everything you want even if you have to sacrifice the space.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-23-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
I love the 230, and from the pic above it looks like Nautique didn't waste any width either. But you can't touch one for $40k.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2010, 5:30 AM Reply   
Here's a few interior pics of my current and prior 230's
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
You've got to love the walk through sun deck on the 230 as well. Where else would you mount a liquor luge?
Attached Images

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-24-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Brandon, thanks for the reply. I will be looking for the best overall boat in my price range. If I were just looking for interior room I would have just stuck with my 27+ft boat that I sold in the spring. I will be riding my Sky Ski mostly so the wake is not extremely important. Like I said, I am going to try surfing eventually. My wife still wakeboards, but she doesn't need a great wake. This will be my 5th boat purchase and the boats only get better with every purchase. I don't want to offend anyone, but the reason I am asking for the manufactures with the widest beam is that I was on a guys x-30 with 2 kids and 2 other adults and felt like we were on top of each other the entire day. That made me really miss my last boat. I only felt cramped after the 12th person got on and that boat would hold 15+. I am looking for a boat that will probably say it can hold 10+ but I really only want to put 8 on max. Like I said I will be looking at a lot of options and I don't have a specific manufacture that I have to have.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-24-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySki View Post
Brandon, thanks for the reply. I will be looking for the best overall boat in my price range. If I were just looking for interior room I would have just stuck with my 27+ft boat that I sold in the spring. I will be riding my Sky Ski mostly so the wake is not extremely important. Like I said, I am going to try surfing eventually. My wife still wakeboards, but she doesn't need a great wake. This will be my 5th boat purchase and the boats only get better with every purchase. I don't want to offend anyone, but the reason I am asking for the manufactures with the widest beam is that I was on a guys x-30 with 2 kids and 2 other adults and felt like we were on top of each other the entire day. That made me really miss my last boat. I only felt cramped after the 12th person got on and that boat would hold 15+. I am looking for a boat that will probably say it can hold 10+ but I really only want to put 8 on max. Like I said I will be looking at a lot of options and I don't have a specific manufacture that I have to have.
To be honest if you thought you were crammed in an X30(whether it was the old or new style) with 5 or 6 people you are out of luck. Even the old X30 is large inside. The newer one is very large. The only boats that are going to be significantly larger are going to be the 24 foot boats and those are hard to come by for 40k or less. I am not sure showing you the interior of a 75k SAN230 is going to help you decision. Malibu 247's and X45's would be nice but you are probably looking at 50k minimum. The only 24 foot boat I can think of for 40k might be a slightly older Tige 24v.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
check out the tige v series rz4,24ve,rz2 and 22ve all of those boats have a 102" beam and seat at least 14 up tp 17 people. tige.com.they also are known to have a great surf wake on either side.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-24-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
You will find that pretty much all the 24 foot v-drives are 102" beam but the seating layout, sundeck size, and windshield location really affect the amount of room in the boat. I have a Supra 24ssv and we can easily fit 12 people with empty seats and plenty of room to move around. The 24' Malibu has even more room behind the windshield than my boat but less in front. I shopped all the 24' boats last year and the Malibu had the most room behind the windshield by far. You will notice some seem much smaller but have the same beam. Some are also much lower to the water so the seats bottoms are very close to the floor and are not comfortable for 6 footers at all (I'm not naming names because I don't want to get in a flame war). My point is that there are very different amounts of room available in all the 24' wake boats which all have the same exterior dimensions.

On another note, we can fit as many people in our 24' Supra as our neighbor can in his 28' Cobalt I/O.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
cole i am only 5'6' and my wife is 5'3" so we are both short. but all drivers seats are adjustable. ride and drive or lounge if you want.i have been in many brands of boats they all are comfortable to me seat wise. the one feature i like the best on my boat is the transom seating area,so you can sit down while getting your gear on plus its a smaller step down to the deck. again i'm short so a 6' or taller person might not care.but as fas as open room and seating and storage. i love my boat.cole like you a good wake and a versatile wake are more important than a WORLD CLASS wake whatever that is. i have ridden behind alot of different boats and all the wakes were very good some took longer to adjust to because everyone likes or is used to something different.there are a ton of choices so GOOD LUCK.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
You can find a 23 ft Tomcat for 40k, just have to be patient.