Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    robertt            10-06-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
I bought a set of front/back tower speakers (total of 4 speakers) for my boat, with Kicker 60s in them. They sound great, but I found that to get it nice and loud in the boat that we were throwing a ton of sound forward where we didnt want it.

We dock up alot and just swim...and every time we do we are worried about driving the other boats nuts with our music.

Anyway, so I think I am going to dump the front/back speakers and buy one of Squids tower boxs.

I can do one of two things...

1. Put the Kicker KS 60 6.5s in the new enclosure.

2. Sell the front/back speakers to somebody that doesnt mind being obnoxious, and buy some new 6x9 speakers for my enclosure.

Thoughts????

If you think new speakers are in order, what is the best value? We dont care about listning to music while 80' back, just nice loud/crisp sound in and around the boat while cruising.

I have two subs in the boat already, and power the tower speakers with two channels from a 4 channel 400w 2 ohm amp.

Any advice guys and gals?????
Old    robertt            10-06-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
One more thing. Anyone else have one of the fiberglass enclosures that Squid sells???? How many clamps do you use????

Where did you get your clamps????
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
I might be interested in those Kickers if you sell .... have a pic?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-06-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have one of the 80feetout boxes....very similar.. And I just used 4 u bolts with some clear hose around the u-bolt and it has held up for a couple years.I also put some flat sheet metal inside the box to stiffen it up around the clamps.
Old    robertt            10-06-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Ronia, just come over and ride behind them! You don't need no stinking pick!

They really are great for my purposes, but as you know in LSL riding at 6:00am....we need to be as stealthy as possible.

Its amazing, after you crash and burn, the boat can be 300' away. You don't hear a thing. As the boat turns around and points to you....you hear it loud as heck. I just keep thinking that the neighbors on the shore hear the same thing.

To get the music loud enough behind the boat, we are throwing a TON of music out front.

Anyway, you are welcome to have first dibs. They are only a month or two old.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
Robert,
I put a switch in the cans so I could control the front and back speakers depending on what I was doing. While riding the front speakers are off, while were relaxing on shore the fronts were on and the backs were off. Couldn't have both front and back on at the same time but never could see a reason to have them both on.

It was an easy modification and I really liked the ability to control the speakers.
Old    robertt            10-06-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
That's not a bad idea, but I REALLY like Squids enclosures. They look incredible, and are very reasonable all things considered.

When we swim and hang...we are always behind the boat. Always. I thought the front speakers were a good idea for the people in the bow, but nobody is ever up there.

Now, I would really like to turn the volume of the tower speakers up and down remotely without having to adjust the fade like I do now. I have the tower speakers running off the front channel, and the dash speakers off the back.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
i just looked them up online, are they white?
I'd sneak a peak from the water but you have your boat hidden on your lift now....