Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    penny4urthots            08-23-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
I am bored this morning and I thought I would start a thread about random inventions...

What if there was something you could tow behind the boat to build a better wake (not like the wedge). I guess it would be like a tractor pulls a plow I know it's far fetched BUT I am bored and this is my thread hahahaa.

Feel free to add to this thread with your random ideas.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-23-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
How about a tube as wide as a wake with ramps (adjustable? hmmmmm) on both sides. Think about it. Wally could ride the tube, we could board and all get along (as long as the person driving doesn't powerturn). LOL! Any thoughts about an invention to stop that?
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-23-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Mounted Paintball guns to shoot at jet skis following to close -- also applicable to radical, crazy drivers doing power turns (with or without tubes)

Small wings on the edge of the boards that while inverted would provide lift

Ballast controls in the handle that the rider and tweak his wake.

Somebody before mentioned a mercury level that will fill the ballast to make the boat sit level. This enables the passangers to sit how they like, let the boat worry about the ballast being even from front to back and side to side
Old    robertt            08-23-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
I still say that 4 wedge type foils are the ticket. Two upfront (or middle really), two in back. Kind of like tire placement.

They would extend out from the boat and be completely adjustable.

One way they would actually push the boat up out of the water making it incredibly efficient and produce no wake, turn them the other way and it would drag the boat straight down.

Because you have a separate foil on each corner, you could easily adjust the pitch of the boat (and therefore control the steepness of the wake), and you could easily adjust it left and right too. No more moving people around to clean up the wake on both sides.

Whats more, if you tied it into Perfect Pass, a person could set their perfect setting and always have the same wake.

A computer could easily auto adjust the left to right balance of the boat.

I think in the future systems like that will be available, because they would allow a much smaller engine to perform adequately. Without any weight on the boat (zero ballast), and with the foils helping you get on plane, you wouldn't need a 400hp engine.

Wait until gas hits $5.00 a gallon at the marina...a 5k option for this type of system would start to make alot of sense.

Anyway, just thinkin
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
that's an incredible idea

i'm impressed
Old    penny4urthots            08-23-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
This rules I can't wait to see what comes next hmhmhwawwaaaaawaa.

(Message edited by Penny4urthots on August 23, 2005)
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-24-2005, 12:12 AM Reply   
I'm still waiting for a wireless remote mounted to a handle so the rider can change tracks and volume of the boat stereo.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-24-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
I say triple the size of the new "Endless Pools", turn the flow up to about 20 mph with some kind wake producing device, have a blast wakeboarding in your own pool. Of course you would need a kill switch of some type for when you fell, maybe a lanyard. And a pole to tie your rope to. If it were me I would just cement my old fly high pole in the dirt.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Robert T
how about one foil in the forward center of the boat but have the pitch of it adjustable like an airplane airelon to push the hull into the water harder and an adj foil on each back corner to adjust the list... just a thought it would be easier to trailer

Old    xtremrider            08-24-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
i think they should incorporate the foil into the rudder. And have it adjustible so the boat can be lifted or sank by the touch of the botton.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
"speakers on the handle" is the dumbest idea i've heard from some little grom in my shop.
Old    penny4urthots            08-24-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Craig you bet!!! I have put a lot of time thinking about this actually. Think about it, it could be inside of a damn proshop and you could demo boards right there!!! I had a little different twist on my idea, I wondered what it would be like if you took some slick foam material (used in waterparks) and shaped a sick ass wake out of it. Then you could propel a high speed layer of water over it. This would reduce the need for a huge pump, use less water and provide plenty of surface resistance to ride on.

Many people may be laughing right now but I seriously think something like this could work someday. Waterparks are doing it already for surfers and bodyboarders with flow waves being passed over a molded foam shape. Why COULDN'T it work?? Let's hear some thoughts.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
My physics are a bit rusty, but with jumping you get most of your force from the boat pulling you forward while you cut at an angle away from it.

If you were to do this in a pool, without any forward momentum, you would not get any real 'pop' and you would be limited to surfer level tricks.

BUT - if you had the water push you at the wave-jump, you could get air that way.
Old    penny4urthots            08-24-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
Chris- you just confused the hell out of me bro...

I do agree, I think?

And I digress, with water "flowing" over the foam surface below your feet at say 22-5 mph you would essentially have the same resistance to get "pop" from as you would on a lake. Obviously the depth of the "flow" would have to be determined to prevent you from making contact with the foam surface. Does this make sense now??
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-24-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
Ski, It makes sense to me. That would be so dope. Have one indoors so you can ride all year long! F#$% a cable park, Nor Cal needs that.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
I'm thinking some kind of foil or hull design that would create a wake outside of the wake we jump to create a smooth water condition when the water is chop.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
randy..

that'd be good for fuel economy!

Old    penny4urthots            08-24-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I have the proper documentation en route to the U.S. Patent Office as we speak...

"I would like to say"...
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-24-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
craig i had thought about that last year when an ex girlfriend had an indoor pool that the famialy never used... even just to practice riding switch and handle passes (if you couldnt get any air out of it)

then reality set in... and we broke up
Old    natxbrotha            08-25-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
how about a ramp on each side of the wake (like kickers or quarters) for those boats that cant put out a wake. and make the ramps all padded where they need to be.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-25-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
For your idea of shooting water at a foam ramp at 22mhp...

Try to simulate this with a hose and a small piece of foam. What should happen is that the water will not 'conform' to the shape of the foam, but will hit the foam and continue on its trajectory, creating a big water arc with lots of air underneath vs the desired water ramp... and a hose isnt at 22mhp.

I think you could do this better without trying to pump water at high speeds. Try this on for size... Imagine a wall at a steep angle. At the top center of the wall is pole that he rope will attach to. Water runs down the surface of the wall, but only as a medium for the boar to run on. On the wall are 2 foam (something) 'wakes' that are the actual ramps (as opposed to the water being the ramp). The rider would be at the upper extreem side of the wall and 'drop in'. With gravity creating constant energy you should be able to ride like a skateboard on a half pipe.

its great to just dream ;)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-25-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
how about toilet paper with a little strength to it so i don't keep bustin through and getting an index finger in my cornhole.

it's great to just dream
Old    xtremrider            08-25-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
Why cant you just pump water around a Fake boat hull. that should create a wake the same as if the boat was moving through still water.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
For the wakepool as I have been calling it, you could have the hull design of your favorite boat in the path of the jets, and creating a wake. But this would also fill up a fairly large area...
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
I was thinking about putting hydrolics on my boat trailer. This whould do a few things. Keep the rudder from getting so close to the ground, and provide for a smoother ride for the boat (yes my boat is like a person to me) then when you get to the ramp, let down the hydrolics to make for an easy launch. Havnt put much thought into it. But its whatever.
Old    byerly137pro            08-25-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Just get air ride suspension, way easier to put on trailers than hydrolics.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
yeh! sry thats what I ment, I mean ive seen the kits for like trucks and stuff, and its not too expensive. I think someone out there is gonna do it eventually.
Old    penny4urthots            08-25-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
Chris do you know that you just described exactly what I was talking about?? Do you like typing or something?
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
i've also thought about that endless pool idea, and then someone kind of did it. i saw a video, i think it may have been the Cassette team, and someone was in this highly concentrated area of water, i guess coming out of a dam or locks on a river and they had a rope tied above it and were using it like the wakepool idea
Old    penny4urthots            08-25-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Good memory David I am almost positive it was the Cassette crew too. It's always cool to see fellow riders looking beyond the A-typical means of riding.

Do you remember seeing some guys doing something similar in a European River with surfboards without a rope?? It was like a perfect barrel in a rapids section of the river, I am pretty sure it was a short scene in a wakefilm.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Big Heavy- Remember,if the paper is to thin the finger goes in.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
Guys, that was the Satellyte wakeskate team at their 'secret spot'. It's somewhere in Canada, and looks pretty damn sweet. Here's a link:

http://www.wakeskating.com/showarticle.php?a=374
Old    allen00se            08-27-2005, 8:19 AM Reply   
Take the endlesss pool idea but add a twist... Make the pool into an oval track with an island in the middle, you would have two long straight away's and two curved ends. The bonus to this idea is two seperate spots to board, plus instead of having the regular pool setup where you would need an intake at the back to suck up the high speed water and blow it out in the front, you could just have pool jets in the outside walls at angles just constantly moving the water in a circular flow. boarder falls and just floats around in a cirle instead of being pushed into the back wall and sucked under.
Old    allen00se            08-27-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
oh ya and add a ramp on the straight side at an angle, out of this slick foam that you can ride down. strap your board on grab the rope, slide down the ramp, and bam your wake boarding.
Old    mile_high_rider            08-27-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
woods hole ocieaniac institute(sp?)I think has a large pool for hull r&d, sounds like the right idea.