Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-27-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Were are thinking of tooling an Axis specific swim step mold to address the surfing issues created by the shape of the 1st. generation steps. I have been contacted buy a few people on the site on the issue and would be willing to build exact tooling and offer a group buy if enough people were on board. Let me know if your interested.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-27-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
I'm assuming you would offer this sim step at less than you can purchase the new redesigned swim step from your local dealer?
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-27-2012, 6:11 PM Reply   
Yea, we could do them for about have the price around $550. The axis steps have a lot going on with the wedge access and overall different shape not being completely flat.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-27-2012, 6:14 PM Reply   
I own a 2011 Axis. I would be interested. If you do build one, it would be good to see before and after vids/pics and of course the finished product.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-27-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'd def like to see the build part of it and see what the group buy price would be.
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-27-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Here's a past post with some of the swim steps we have done.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791723
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-27-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
I would definitely consider ordering one when i see the finished product!
Old     (rpinto)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   
I already contacted you but am def. interested.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-28-2012, 4:19 AM Reply   
Nice work, those platforms look really high quality.
Old     (LBomber)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-28-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
I am definately interested, would like to see a finished product
Old     (Diggertaker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 6:39 AM Reply   
Would be interested upon seeing final product & possibly using factory supports/attachments. Just dont want a sloppy/loose platform like the skiers choice products.
Old     (04Xstar)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-29-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
I saw the pics of x star platform you did, looks great. Does that shape clean up the surf wake of the x star? How much to do one like in the pic with mastercraft logo and all? How much to ship to Texas?
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-29-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
You would use your factory support hardware with our deck. Were just changing the shape of the overall fiberglass swim step so the side does not interfere with the wake. It would basically look like a newer axis step with a few changes, all the details where it mates to the back of the boat would stay the same. Thats why I'm talking about tooling specific mold. We could make a flat replacement step like the one on the Master Craft, but I think with the details on the factory axis step would be nice to have but would require a unique mold.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-29-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to just make a set of hinged brackets for the rear swim platform? You could incorpoate push pins that could be pulled out, which would allow the platform to be folded upwards. Seems like that would allow the rear corner of the platform to keep from digging so hard into the water, and would also help with garage storage.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-29-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
If you're going to be making a custom platform for people, you ought to consider maybe adding this feature.
Old     (Diggertaker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
If its cheaper to remove the factory hardware/support & mount to your reworked fiberglass platform that is the route that most of us are wanting to go. As for Chatts post, that sounds kinda like a pain to remove pins, fold platform up, surf then remove pins & fold down to use the platform to get back on the boat. Just my opinion. However foldable brackets would be nice for those who need every inch of garage space.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-29-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
I like chatts idea! That platform is a beast to take off by yourself!!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-29-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Are the custom platforms going to be color matched to our specific boat colors?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-29-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
might be interested depending on final price and seeing the product ...we have a 2011 and woudl ike the address the issue for sure...I am also wondering if it will be color watched?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-29-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
I'd be interested if the platforms were color matched and would fit flush in that recessed area on the back of the boat like the factory platforms are
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-29-2012, 4:38 PM Reply   
Sorry, I read through the thread entirely and you answered my questions in my posts above. Thanks...I'm in. Post up ASAP because I think you would have quite a few orders since the Axis has been out a few years and we owners know it has potential to be a decent surf boat. I often leave my platform off just to surf on my A22.
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-29-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
Yes, we would be able to color match. We would reuse the factory brackets to keep the cost down.

Also, are there any interested Axis owner in centeral California?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-29-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I am in the foothills above Modesto...we store the boat in Escalon in the winter.

Last edited by megsswm; 02-29-2012 at 8:06 PM. Reason: response changed
Old     (1joeyh)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-29-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
I'd definitely be interested in seeing this go to production and ordering one if it does.
Old     (morrisdl)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-01-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Absolutely interested in one. Sounds great!!
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-06-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
I spoke with Meghan, another wake world member who stores there boat close to our shop. She is allowing us to use here factory swim step to help with tooling of our replacement step. We will be picking it up in the next few days and starting the project. I will post pics as they become available in the next few weeks.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-07-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
excited to see how it turns out!
Old     (1joeyh)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-07-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Awesome! Glad to see this moving forward. Please keep us all updated. Thanks.
Old     (McGuire011)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-17-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Anything new on this thread? I would also be interested in this option!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-17-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
I posted in the Axis forum that I located a guy in east tennessee who will custom make a teak replacement platform. I have an older style platform in my garage that I would be happy to lend to the project so that the builder can use it as a template to ensure that what he builds fits the back of the boat. You would just need the dimensions of the newer platform and by using my old platform, he could fab something up that looks sick and helps with the wave. I think he quoted me in the neighborhood of $500 for a standard sized platform.
Old     (McGuire011)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-17-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I posted in the Axis forum that I located a guy in east tennessee who will custom make a teak replacement platform. I have an older style platform in my garage that I would be happy to lend to the project so that the builder can use it as a template to ensure that what he builds fits the back of the boat. You would just need the dimensions of the newer platform and by using my old platform, he could fab something up that looks sick and helps with the wave. I think he quoted me in the neighborhood of $500 for a standard sized platform.
Thanks Chatt! I recently purchased a white 10' Vandall edition and have been reading up a lot of your posts and suggestions as far as upgrades and changes that need to be made to the boat for maximum surf and wakeboard wakes. My only worry is how the teak would look with an all white boat. Was looking for a fiberglass replacement and haven't heard back from Indianas axis dealer yet on any of my parts requests.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-17-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
That replacement platform is expensive as hell. I think an all white axis with a teak platform would look sick.
Old     (McGuire011)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-17-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
That replacement platform is expensive as hell. I think an all white axis with a teak platform would look sick.
Chatt I will definitely think about it and take you up on that offer. Iam suprised with as many people that would be interested that an independent company hasn't come out and offered them yet. Iam also thinking about maybe having my current platform altered.
Old     (2010Axis)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-26-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
Nick,
Did you end up making any making any of these platforms? I have a 2010 Vandall and have been considering adding actuated surf tabs. I was considering either cutting my platform or upgrading to an OE Axis surf gate platform. A new platform in the price range you're talking about sounds like a way better idea.