Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
I think I saw a MB sticker on his board.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yes I think so
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-25-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
WOW ... didn't see that coming. Why a 21 footer? Doesn't MB make a 23?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-25-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_waterboy View Post
WOW ... didn't see that coming. Why a 21 footer? Doesn't MB make a 23?
pretty sure the tomcat is considered the best wake boat in their lineup. bigger is NOT always better!!
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
I would love to see some footage of him riding behind one of the MB's. Thats cool that they got another big name to join them.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-25-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
http://www.mbsports.net/

There is a video on the main page.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureblue View Post
I would love to see some footage of him riding behind one of the MB's. Thats cool that they got another big name to join them.

Who is the first big name?
Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-26-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
if rathy rides like he did last year this its just going to make MB even happier with this signing, and it will make CC and Mastercraft cringe a little more
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-26-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
VERY VERY NICE, congrats on MB you will not be disappointed!
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
@ALWake.com (Luker) --

This is exactly what MB Sports is trying to change...the perception of them being a "2nd tier" boat company. How can you make a statement about their ranking when you have never been/ridden in one? What qualifications are needed to become a 1st tier boat company? volume, price, performance, etc? I'm not trying to personally attack you, I just want to know where your logic is coming from.

I've ridden behind all of the so called "1st tier" boats and the MB boats are every bit in the same category in terms of build quality, performance, and wake. The difference comes in the price and volume. Do me a favor and spend a day in a MB boat. Aaron did, and the results speak for themselves.

I think this is great relationship for both Aaron and MB for years to come!

-P
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
I don't doubt its a quality boat with a nice wake... but I bet you can't find many people outside of those directly affiliated with these type boat companies, that will argue with me. Malibu, CC, and Mastercraft are on different levels, if anything due strictly to "perception"... its not to say that an MB, Tige, Moomba, Epic or any of the other boats out there aren't comparable, or don't make quality products... its just that they don't have the name recognition of the big 3.

You're kind of proving my point for me by saying, "This is exactly what MB is trying to change"... you've obviously realized you're considered a 2nd tier company and you're trying to change that perception.... and I think Aaron Rathy is a step in the right direction.

Lets not make this more than it is... I clarified early in this thread I've never been behind an MB and have absolutely nothing negative to say about the boat or the wake... just making an observation.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I persoanlly think that it was a smart move on MB's part. I will be the first to say that I absolutely hated their earlier wakeboats. Didn't like ANYTHING about them. Today, however, I have been hearing nothing but great things about the wakes....I am yet to get behind one, but am hoping to do so soon.

Buffalow hit the nail on the head. You don't become the best in the world only riding behind the same boat in the same conditions. Nice work MB.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-26-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
I agree Luker. We don't see any MB's in Texas either. They may be a great boat, but they just don't have near the national recognition as some of the big boys. Maybe things will change now.
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Again I ask, how are the "big 3" on different levels? I would have never bought an MB boat if I thought for a second they were a second tier company...that wouldn't make any sense. I had the money to buy any boat I wanted, I did my research and made my choice. With that said, I know perception is everything and now understand you made your comment based on the "perception" of the masses.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what's needed to change people's perception?

-P
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-26-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip9ball View Post
Again I ask, how are the "big 3" on different levels? I would have never bought an MB boat if I thought for a second they were a second tier company...that wouldn't make any sense. I had the money to buy any boat I wanted, I did my research and made my choice. With that said, I know perception is everything and now understand you made your comment based on the "perception" of the masses.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what's needed to change people's perception?

-P
They're the "Big 3" because they're the three boat names that come up first in any wakeboard boat conversation, and are usually the ones to pick up big names. usually. I don't think anyone's saying that the other boat companies are "lower quality", just that their names aren't as big as "The Big 3".

And what's needed to change people's perception? exactly what you're seeing on Wakeworld right now. A big name rider signing with a smaller-name wake boat company. It's one of the best business moves MB could've made! I'm guessing they're a west coast originated boat company? Now with Rathy signing, they'll be very well known nationwide pretty dang quick.

Last edited by benbuchholz; 03-26-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Also, let me clarify. I think the big 3 are all awesome boats too....I'm not dogging them at all...just trying to learn is all.
Old     (pip9ball)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Cool, this is what I was hoping for!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-27-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Just because Rathy signed with MB has not changed my perception... yet.

I have ridden a heavily weighted tomcat in '07 in a competition and the wake was really bad, one side (i forget which side) was steep and the other rampy. There were some really experienced wakeboarders playing with the wake for about an hour trying to fix it, to no avail. This has been my only experience with MB and therefore, they are not on my short list, and I have decided on a boat without giving any consideration to them.

With that said, the signing of Rathy has got to be the "smartest move by a wake company in 2010".
Because of rathy, I have gone to MB's website (which is killer, by the way) to check out their boats, which i would not have done otherwise. I see the vid with rathy riding behind the 21 tomcat, which appears to have very little weight in it, and the wake looks amazing, and he looks like his tricks are coming effortless.

I would like to see the CIE boys take this 21 tomcat and slump it.

Good move MB, and nice wake. Can't wait to see more footage of Aaron behind this thing after he weights it to his liking.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-27-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Just because he is with the company doesn't mean he's going to be riding behind it that much. His girlfriend has an x-star, and his best friends have decked out nautys, xstars and wakesetters that they can ride behind at any time and for some reason they choose the boat with the best wake . It's a big reason a lot of guys get dropped by boat companies because they are always filmed riding behind someone elses boat that they like more.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-28-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly, you never know, Nicola and the other pros just might start riding the MB instead
Old     (iacconi)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 4:10 AM Reply   
Hey Mr Rathy,
congratulations on your new sponsor and goodluck for the summer season!
Tony
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       03-31-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Yeah Aaron!
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-01-2010, 5:22 AM Reply   
Rathy is with MB, yes. I hinted at this months ago.

The TRUTH is this is a bigger win for MB than Rathy. I know the details of the deal and Rathy could have done better. If his deal is like other riders' they get a boat and a few bucks. A stipend really. The smart guys work as salespeople (the Zanes and Cobes of the world).
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
As the guy that actually made the call to Rathy to start negotiations, I can tell you that money is not everything!

We at MB are ona big push this year to make an impact and show the world why are boats are so good. What better way than take the best rider in the world? He will get a ton of press and positive press because of this deal (as he has already), which make him more valuable to other sponsors as well. It is a win win for both and considering we are looking long term, this is just the starting spot for his long career with MB. We believe this is a great win fro both of us and look at it as a team effort to let the public know more about the boats.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
As the guy that actually made the call to Rathy to start negotiations, I can tell you that money is not everything!

We at MB are ona big push this year to make an impact and show the world why are boats are so good. What better way than take the best rider in the world? He will get a ton of press and positive press because of this deal (as he has already), which make him more valuable to other sponsors as well. It is a win win for both and considering we are looking long term, this is just the starting spot for his long career with MB. We believe this is a great win fro both of us and look at it as a team effort to let the public know more about the boats.

Best Rider In the World?

Rathy is currently riding very well,but has a lot of work ahead to be labeled the best rider in the world
IMO.

Congrats to MB and Rathy.
Old    sperbet            04-03-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Best Rider In the World?

Rathy is currently riding very well,but has a lot of work ahead to be labeled the best rider in the world
IMO.

Congrats to MB and Rathy.
Not really, IMO anyway. It's debatable I guess, but he's been absolutely killing it. You already forget about his Back 10? He was throwing down hammers at the end of last season. Kills it on a skate, on rails, freeriding, in contests. What else do you need to do? I mean, who is really riding any better? Rusty? No. Danny? No. Phillip? No. Obviously it's all a matter of opinion, but to say he has "a lot" of work ahead is pretty ignorant. He is one of the best riders in the world. And congrats to MB and Rathy. Now all we need to do is get Lyman a boat sponsor...
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-01-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Fact is, this is a bigger win for MB than Rathy. We all know this. He's now your most valuable asset. Long career with MB? Perhaps. Let's see how he deals with your brand. He managed to squander a very hard to get Correct Craft spot and the insider scoop is that it's because he didn't visibly ride behind their boats enough, or promote them properly and responsibly, or promote them properly on his youtube/vimeo stuff which he was very smartly using as a promotional vehicle. He's a maelstrom. The guys is a machine - perhaps one of the most talented riders ever. But he's not without his sponsor issues. He might as well have been working for MasterCraft for the past summer and a half. Look, get him visibly riding behind MB boats and you may be in luck. My guess was that he was going with MasterCraft, or MAYBE Epic if they could afford it. That could have brought them back to the forefront. Epic is now almost a non-entity, really bad resale value, questionable construction processes on older models, general construction problems on all models, Mercruiser powerplants. Just a general flameout - kind of like the other Epic.

I know I am stirring the pot. I can't help it. This is just a bizarre deal and I've known about it for almost 2 months and had to bite my tongue on it. Congratulations on grabbing Rathy. Huge win. Now get him riding behind your boats visibly and he'll have a wonderful run with you.

Last edited by boomshot; 04-01-2010 at 6:21 PM.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Fact is, this is a bigger win for MB than Rathy. We all know this. He's now your most valuable asset. Long career with MB? Perhaps. Let's see how he deals with your brand. He managed to squander a very hard to get Correct Craft spot and the insider scoop is that it's because he didn't visibly ride behind their boats enough, or promote them properly and responsibly, or promote them properly on his youtube/vimeo stuff which he was very smartly using as a promotional vehicle. He's a maelstrom. The guys is a machine - perhaps one of the most talented riders ever. But he's not without his sponsor issues. He might as well have been working for MasterCraft for the past summer and a half. Look, get him visibly riding behind MB boats and you may be in luck. My guess was that he was going with MasterCraft, or MAYBE Epic if they could afford it. That could have brought them back to the forefront. Epic is now almost a non-entity, really bad resale value, questionable construction processes on older models, general construction problems on all models, Mercruiser powerplants. Just a general flameout - kind of like the other Epic.

I know I am stirring the pot. I can't help it. This is just a bizarre deal and I've known about it for almost 2 months and had to bite my tongue on it. Congratulations on grabbing Rathy. Huge win. Now get him riding behind your boats visibly and he'll have a wonderful run with you.
I don't think epic is a non entity at all. Just because they had one boat posted a low resale means nothing. They just sponsored and pulled wakestock in abu dhabi and with all the money out there, I can guarantee that will lead to a bunch of sales in that area. Did you see the guys boosting off that wake in awful water? It was pretty impressive. The opening of Rathys vid showed the boat crawling to plane off on his dock start. For $50k, I don't think people are going to get a tomcat when they can get an axis, x-1, 210, vride etc. I don't even know where there is an MB dealer in Florida. I've never seen one and have never seen an MB on a lake in Florida before.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-03-2010, 2:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
For $50k, I don't think people are going to get a tomcat when they can get an axis, x-1, 210, vride etc.
MB vs. Axis - Maybe the funniest thing I've read on WW. Have you actually been in both boats? I have. Go spend 2 minutes in each boat (on shore) and you'll see how easy that decision is.

MB vs. X-1 - The second funniest thing I've read on WW. The X-1 is a fine boat, I almost bought one until I realized I could fit 2x as many people in the MB TWB. You honestly think a 15 year old, 90" beam boat that weigns 3,050 lbs. compares to brand new hull, 100" beam boat that weighs 3,900 lbs.? Apples and oranges, my friend.

MB vs. 210 - How is this a valid comparison? Find me a 2010 SAN 210 for $50K and we'll talk. Ahh shucks, since you brought it up let's talk anyway.. you do realize the MB has the exact same powerplant as the Nati with 2x the ballast capacity (no pumps), 25 extra gallons of fuel, and room for 4 extra adults, right?. Yeah, why would anybody want the same powerplant, better features, more room, and $20k savings???

MB vs. VRide - You got me hear. The VRide is so much better with its 900lbs. of ballast (MB = 1,800), 98" beam (MB = 100"), 38 oz. vinyl (MB = 50 oz.), 46 gallon tank (MB = 65), Room for 11 (MB = 16), and MalibuCruise (MB = Zero Off). I was a little confused with your first three data points. But you sure made your point with the VRide.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
I'm sure that MB Boats are high quality with a great wake, etc for a much lower price. However, I don't think you can be considered a serious player in the industry when your closest dealer from Orlando, FL is over 400 miles away. I wonder who will service Rathy's new MB boat...things that make you go, hmmm.

Regardless, as many have said, it's a fantastic move for MB to grow their brand recognition & I congratulate both parties!

According to the MB website,

Below is the closest MB Sports Dealer to ORLANDO, FL.

Dealer Distance to
The Houseboat Store LLC
6470 Holiday Rd
Buford, GA 30518
(770) 614-0000
Fax: (770) 614-5845

Last edited by wakekat15; 04-03-2010 at 5:20 AM.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
MB vs. Axis - Maybe the funniest thing I've read on WW. Have you actually been in both boats? I have. Go spend 2 minutes in each boat (on shore) and you'll see how easy that decision is.

MB vs. X-1 - The second funniest thing I've read on WW. The X-1 is a fine boat, I almost bought one until I realized I could fit 2x as many people in the MB TWB. You honestly think a 15 year old, 90" beam boat that weigns 3,050 lbs. compares to brand new hull, 100" beam boat that weighs 3,900 lbs.? Apples and oranges, my friend.

MB vs. 210 - How is this a valid comparison? Find me a 2010 SAN 210 for $50K and we'll talk. Ahh shucks, since you brought it up let's talk anyway.. you do realize the MB has the exact same powerplant as the Nati with 2x the ballast capacity (no pumps), 25 extra gallons of fuel, and room for 4 extra adults, right?. Yeah, why would anybody want the same powerplant, better features, more room, and $20k savings???

MB vs. VRide - You got me hear. The VRide is so much better with its 900lbs. of ballast (MB = 1,800), 98" beam (MB = 100"), 38 oz. vinyl (MB = 50 oz.), 46 gallon tank (MB = 65), Room for 11 (MB = 16), and MalibuCruise (MB = Zero Off). I was a little confused with your first three data points. But you sure made your point with the VRide.
I'm going based strait off wakes with proven quality. I have never heard a person rant and rave about the wake of a tomcat and the WAKE is the only thing that I care about. To me, there is nothing else that matters in a wakeboard boat. Axis- wake in Randalls video was one of the biggest I have ever seen, X-1- the ORIGINAL best wake in the business and will always be an amazing wake, 210- both new and old hull proven to throw a huge wake and V Ride- original VLX hull which had an absolutely sick wake.

Rathy was getting pretty solid pop in the video, but there weren't any shots that showed a good side profile of the wake. I think the Tomcat is a very aesthetically pleasing boat but like I said, that is about 1% of what I am looking for in a wake boat. If you were to offer me a pink, purple and baby blue old hull SANTE or the Tomcat, I would take the 210.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-02-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
We appreciate that you kept things quite. It was very difficult to get it all togther. Get him the boat, get it dialed, have time to get him to ride on it, get video, etc.. So thanx for not being the spoiler.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-02-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
I know i am stoked to have Rathy on the team as well as a few hundred other MB owners. We know what kind of boat MB makes and the new TWB and Tomcats are no exception. I think MB has a great future ahead with Rathy. One thing that I hear a lot from pros with boat sponsors, is that the manufacturers don't listen to their input in boat/hull design, etc. this is not the case with MB. Rathy will be able to provide invaluable input for MB and Rathy will get to ride behind a boat that was developed by the team riders. Not something that you get with the "Big Three," well at least not the the extent that MB does. I am just a big fan of MB and even I still get calls and emails from MIke and Dustin asking for feedback on ideas and designs.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-02-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
"I've never seen one and have never seen an MB on a lake in Florida before. "

That sums up this thread pretty well and also is the answer to the reason behind the statement preceding. People in the market for a new boat that "water test" the TWB and/or F21, buy the TWB or F21. People that don't know about them obviously don't buy them.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
The boat can be serviced by any PCM dealer. But you are right, there are not many MB's in the southeast, hopefully that changes soon.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       04-03-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Im trying to get an MB down to Florida right now. Moved down here from the NW and miss my MB. I'm working on it as we speak, and hopefully I can show as many people as I can about this company down here because it is a truly underrated product. Once I get one down here, I will be more than willing to take anyone out for a pull

Congrats to MB and congrats to Rathy. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction in expanding the company across the country
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
x2 on lyman getting a boat. Hello Axis?
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-04-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Rusty, Danny, and Phillip have all done things that Rathy has yet to do. All handlepass bs 9, 10 in comp, 1260, crowmobe 7, moby dick 7, etc. Yes I agree Rathy shreds and he has made his own path that the others haven't done aswell. I can say factually that it is opinion

and you can't really say this rider is the best in the world and have noone argue it.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-04-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
I made a post about Rathy being the best rider in the world but I thought about it and retract my statement. I was thinking about all of the things Harf has done and he is the best rider in the world. All of the "signature" tricks Rathy is doing were invented by Harf along with 90% of the other pros out there, and a lot of the stuff Harf is doing was first done by Parks. It would be an amazing day to have Parks back healthy again like he used to be. I really miss his riding.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-04-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
I grew up with Nautiques. When I bought my first wake boat, it was a 2001 SANTE, then about 800 hrs later I bought a 2003 SANTE. Then I rode behind the B-52 V23 in2005 and sold my Nautique. I would take a F21 or TWB over a new 210 every day, all day. Yes I ride behind new nautiques too and it is no match for the TWB stock for stock. But I totally understand where you are coming from, I couldn't understand it either until I got behind the MB.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2010, 5:05 AM Reply   
Kyle, here is a pic of the F21 Wake courtesy of MBBoats Australia. there are tons of others on their facebook page.
Attached Images

Last edited by wakereviews; 04-05-2010 at 5:07 AM. Reason: because
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-05-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Looks like Fuel TV was right on the money.

"This is just a guess from one editor, but it would not be surprising if Rathy's next boat sponsor is a big shocker. Somehow we think he's not going from an aqua BMW to an aqua Mercedes-Benz. Rather we predict a more clever path. Perhaps an aqua Tesla or aqua Lotus. Stay tuned. We're digging into this one. More to follow, for sure."
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-05-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
I LOVE the Tomcat wake! If I was buying they would be at the top of the short list.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-05-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
The new MB's stock wakes are legit. Biggest stock I've ever been behind, in fact, bigger than many boats i've ridden behind with lots of extra weight. Pretty vert shape, and being use to a more mellow wake it took me a little to get used to it. Lots of bang for the buck.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-06-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Mike Brendel spent the last several years perfecting this wake. He spends countless hours discussing his boats, wakes, rideability,etc.. with his team, dealerships, etc.. to get the most input he can. They have come so far just in the last 4 years it's amazing. He has plenty in store for 2011-12 as well.

Glad to see those of you that have spent time on the boat, not afraid to speak up. That's how the word spreads. Thanx.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
the wake seems to be enough to boot Soven to the alliance cover shot. This was behind Mike Ennen's MB.
Attached Images

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2010, 11:39 PM Reply   
Congrats to Rathy. I can say that MBs are well built boats. I have owned three boats since 05' and always ride in a bunch of boats before i buy. I have driven and been in several MBs and have always liked how solid they feel and the construction characteristics.

The reason i don't own one is because there simply is no dealer network where I live.

My buddy owns a B-52 V23 and it has one of the sickest surf wakes around. The wakeboard wake is good as well, but does tend to wash if not weighted perfectly. The boat is amazing all around and has loads of space. I would not consider them 2nd tier, but just a smaller volume builder. I think MB will eventually be as big as TIge and overtake some of their market share.

I do find the Tomcat 21' to be a little bit of a weird choice as well. What is MBs top of the line pure wakeboat? I realize all of them are great, but if you had to name the best in their stable, which would it be?

Again, congrats Rathy, great job MB on nabbing him.