Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-06-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
Collected a few clips from some recent riding and put a little vid together. Actually put some time into the editing process so any feedback is appreciated. Check it out!

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-07-2012, 3:47 AM Reply   
Enjoyed the vid. I personally like videos that I recognize are more of a 'month in the life of' type videos documenting your summers...clearly designed more to remind you of the good old days so when 2050 comes you can show your grandkids that once upon a time you too could ride Where is this channel you were riding in...looks so cool.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
I'll warn you that this is a lot of my own preference, so if you dont like what you hear dont hesitate to ignore it.
I liked the video, you were a good distance away so we could see the whole rider in the frame but not so far that we couldnt see detail. Good variety of tricks too, its always nice to see stuff from both sides of the wake and a mix of spins and flips. I wasnt a fan of the pictures in the video, I personally think if you want to show people pictures then post pictures, dont put them in a video. I liked the non-riding footage too, gives a little wider perspective and it was the right length that it didnt get boring. My only other complaint is to cut back on the strobey quick cuts and partial tricks. Makes me feel like I should pop some E and dance around with glowsticks. I like to see the whole trick clearly.
Hope that didnt get too negative, because as a whole the video was great. Keep up the good work!
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-08-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Helix, that place is in Florida a little east of Orlando. Its an amazing place to ride, especially considering we used to only ride in the river which sucks 99% of the time.

Appreciate the feedback Benjamin, I can also agree with some of those points after the fact. The editing process is long and its hard to try to put yourself in an outsiders perspective sometimes. Glad you enjoyed the majority of it though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
I'll warn you that this is a lot of my own preference, so if you dont like what you hear dont hesitate to ignore it.
me too.

the first 50 seconds of the video was LONG: 7 seconds of the boat from water level, a couple stills (which i don't mind), then 30 seconds of a guy walking on the bridge, standing there, then jumping off....then fade to black as he jumps off? it just seemed weird to build something up then, bam...you get nothing. i appreciate the lifestyle/non-riding clips, but they just seemed really long (including the end). nothing says you have to use the whole song. also, part of editing videos is editing audio as well. if you have to shorten the beginning of the track to shorten the opening, by all means, do it, as long as it's done cleanly.

the riding stuff was cool and i'm a fan of fast cuts. the slo-mo stuff was choppy and i know; "to each his own" but please, no more reverse-time clips.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-08-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
Appreciate the comments. I think cutting the song would have definitely been a better option than drawing it out as I did but I guess my OCD wouldn't let me do it. As far as the slow motion, what do you mean by choppy, I know I was shooting at 60 FPS so I would hope the quality would hang in there.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Overall I think you did a great job! I liked the riding and the editing was good too. I agree with Joe about cutting the track short on the intro to get to the riding faster. I know picking a song can sometimes be the hardest part of editing. Also when using a GoPro, it has such a wide angle lens on it that I would recommend being as close to the rider as you both are comfortable with. If you are closer to the rider then you can hold the camera lower and it makes the rider look like they are getting much more air. My other suggestion would be to let the rope out past the rider and get some shots from behind the rider to mix it up. It's always good to have a decent mix of tube/boat/chase boat etc... shots to break up a video.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-10-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
How far in front of the rider were you? I liked that angle a lot.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
We would have got some angles from behind but only went out twice to film and just wanted to nail some shots. I could have prolonged the process but was ready to put something together. As far as the length, its probably about 8 ft from handle to GoPro. That's a rough estimate, there is one clip in the vid that shows the rope and tube sitting in the water that might give you a better idea.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2012, 3:13 AM Reply   
I thought the video was good, I really enjoyed it. As said before though, good intro, not too long, but agree with the strobe effect. Some shots from behind the rider would have been cool, and I agree that there was a good mix of tricks, not just 5 minutes of backrolls and 180's. A little something for the guy on the yellow Ronix, you're breaking at the waste while coming up the wake on your trip flips. If you would stay more upright and take your pop up first, and then flip, especially on your front rolls, they would be much larger. Good riding overall though.
Old     (BrettHowell)      Join Date: May 2012       07-12-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Awesome. That is all.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-12-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
Nice! Makes me stoked to go ride. Good edit!