Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (bspurr13)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Hello all, Great board here! I have learned quite a lot already, but still need a bit of help. I am looking for my 1st “real” boat (I have an old Tahiti w/ a Merc OB currently) and have narrowed my choices down to about 3 – but am still open to suggestions. My main purpose will be wakeboarding with friends and two kids, maybe a bit of skiing, but not much if any.

I hear some of the larger lakes that I plan on going to get a bit rough when the wind kicks up, so would also like something that can handle the chop (I guess no true ski/wakeboard boat really handles anything too rough very well).

Here are my choices, and please correct any misinformation – My budget is up to 20 k cash.

Malibu: Sunsetter 1995 and up – I understand that it has the same hull as the current wakesetter (sv23) and comes as LX (DD) and VLX (VD).

Correct Craft: Sport Nautique, 1993 – 97 – Same hull as the SAN

Mastercraft: Prostar 205 – 1992 - 1997 Same hull as original X-star, but then I read that the 97 and up 205 had the same hull as the modern X-2???.

What do you all think? Which is a better choice? (I know that is a VERY subjective question). It seems to me that they would all suite my needs, but if one stands out from the others, please let me know what you think – also, let me know if I have overlooked any good makes and models.

Thanks,
Brett
Old    grampawakerider            07-30-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Is this gonna be one of THOSE threads?
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-30-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
all have a really nice wake no wrong choice in my view. sunsetters are rampy with a nice kick natis are kick and naroow and 205s are kinda kicky and rampy. all are great u'll love which ever you get in the end from my boat i would go malibu because thats wat i have now and wat most my friends have
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
I thought that the X-2 and the original X-Star were the same boat? Is this correct?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
I have the 1997 MC X-Star and it is the same hull as the ProStar 205. I'm not sure how much hull difference there is later on with the X-stars, I think it went unchanged for a while (maybe someone with a newer X can fill in...) It is the direct drive, before they all went to the v-drive configuration. I enjoy it, and with ~2k lbs plus 6-8 people, it is insane and often swamps other boats that are chillin off to the sides. V-drives are very nice, however, and provide lots of room and much more open feeling.

soundz like you have a good idea of what you want, and it seems like you won't go wrong with any of those. good luck

haha and yes, i'm sure this whole thread is gonna get messy and bloody.
Old    jetpilot313            07-30-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
205 xstar and x2 hull were all the same till 2003 when the new x star came out
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-30-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
205 and Xstar were D-drives in 97 and 98. 99-2005 xstars are v-drive. 99 and 2000 205's are d-drive.
Old    whitevlx            07-31-2004, 8:49 PM Reply   
my choice would be the bu or the CC.
Old    dholio            07-31-2004, 11:47 PM Reply   
The sport is not the same hull as the super air. You would want to look for the super sport so that it is a vdrive. If you want some help, look at the ratings at www.jdpowers.com The results come from actual owners of the boats
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2004, 7:13 AM Reply   
I have an X2, and it is definitely not a "big lake" boat. It will beat you to death! An X10 or Maristar 210 would be much better for that application.

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
Brett,
I was shopping for a Super Sport last year and keeping an eye on the Sports also. Unless you come across a great deal, I don't think you'll get into one for 20K. They are more in the 22-28K range. Good Luck....
Old     (bspurr13)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-01-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses - Great info. I am going to look at a 1995 205 w/ the corvette engine tomorrow, low hrs and at a good price... does anyone know what the HP was with the vette engine? Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Brett
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Brett,
I gave you bad info. on the Sports. I was just looking on Boattrader.com and you could get into a Sport for 20K. This one stuck out to me. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/1/74242271.htm
Install tower and PP and you are set around 20K.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-01-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
That Sport above looks like it is in great shape! but still price too high probably. They did change them a bit a year or 2 after this one though. I think in 93 they quit using wood stringers and I believe in 94 they went back to the non molded in swim platform. I have a 1990 Sport and it throws a really nice wake w/ weight...but my boat was humbled when I rode behind a 2005 VLX a couple weeks back..holy moly!