Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       05-05-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Those who own one, driven one or ridden behind one...what do you think? How does it compare to other Mastercrafts? Thanks.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-05-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Probably not best to go entirely on opinions and experiences posted on a discussion board. If you want the truth about the X-Star, you need to get out there and thoroughly demo the boat yourself. Drive it, ride in it, ride behind it, kick the tires (so to speak), flip all the switches, open and close all the hatches. Make sure it drives the way you want, has a wake you like, and is built solid.

And demo several boats the same way, from other manufacturers. That way you have something to compare, and can make your own informed decision.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
i 2nd insano on this one...

however, i had the opportunity to ride behind, drive and tow one last fall. they seem like a lot hype for the money?

i did enjoy having the ballast underfloor but with tanks full, kids, riders and gear that thing was a pig to turn. the wake was pretty washy as well and i cannot tell you how many times we nose dived...

my friend did not have the cockpit carpet either and it was a day of slip and slide. call me crazy but my nautique wake feels way harder and physically looks bigger when weighted. x star is a nice boat if you are into the bling thing but look at the hull design:

they are going to way narrow at the tail surface, which copies the narrower beams of the x2 and sante.

either way, good boat for flash and family, but i would definitely recommend finding what best suits your style through personal experience.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
got to disagree Ryan,IMO best boat on the water but also the most expensive.The wake is how you weight it.It can be super rampy which is ok but it can also have an incredible kick at the top if weighted down properly.Definetly not hype and all the bling you want!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
to each his own...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
Ryan ~ Definetly...I just thought we were expressing opinions,so I expressed mine!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
yes ed, you certainly did...
Old    mia            05-05-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
awesome boat !!! one of my favorite boats !!!!

i have been on a friends many, many time (kevin p)..the wake is huge !!!! (btw, i own a nautique 211)
Old    ozonerider            05-06-2005, 12:59 AM Reply   
I have one and love it! I'm a beginner/intermediate so I'm not an expert on wakes, but I haven't had any complaints from anyone about the wake so far.

The X-30 was in the running but the X-Star won out by virtue of the in-floor ballast system and the bow seating.

Ryan is right about the low nose and slow turning when fully ballasted. We definitely don't try to power turn to pick up fallen riders in our narrow sloughs here on the Delta! Keeping a sharp eye out for oncoming waves and blipping the throttle at the right time takes care of the "low bow problem", we don't nose dive anymore once we got the hang of it.

IMO, well worth the money...
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
Most expensive boat on the lake? A SANTE will cost you more than an X-Star in our area. (Of course you could buy a 2002 SANTE for less than $40k compared to over $60K for a 2005--there is more than one way to preserve resale value!)

The X-Star is a great boat. Owned the X-2 before the X-Star and really love everything about the X-Star. Not sure why Ryan had nose dipping problems or handling problems. The only time my bow dips it can be attributed to bad driving. Some folks have limited experience with boats on the water and I can understand having handling problems. Folks get used to driving one type of vehicle and have problems with the others. See it all the time with folks moving from DD.

(Message edited by whit on May 06, 2005)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
i now have limited experience whit? no driving problems here mate... thanks for the insight though.

as far as price goes, we optioned an xstar out to our liking and it was right around $73k and that was late '04? our sante with everything was $20k less..

and for the record, yes, the bow would dip and yes, after getting used to the whole having to throttle jockey thing, it eliminated our problem and yes, the boat handles like a pig when loaded-----imo...

not a bad boat, just too flashy for my style. i like to ride, not cruise...
Old    mia            05-06-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
it is hard to compare a cc 21' 210 or 211 to a 23' x-star... 2 different sized boats all together...

if you need a 23' and can afford it.... it is a great ride..
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
I agree clubmyke. CC does not have a boat that can come close to the new xstar. The only way you can bring a 210 or 211 into the mix is when comparing to the X2 or X10 then the CC will be much more expensive no doubt. When CC comes out with a good 23' boat MC will be cheaper. See what happens with CC is that from the factory region deistributors buy the boats and then sell them to the dealer. MC buys direct from the factory. So there is no middle man with MC like with CC.

XSTAR all the way

I would own one if I could afford one

So I am sticking with my 1999 205V
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Never said you didn't have experience driving--just driving a bigger boat. Club Myke nailed it--the 23' is a much bigger boat and is going to drive different than a smaller boat. Folks love to compare the X-Star to the SANTE--the only thing comparable between the two boats is price. The X-2 is the boat for comparison with the SANTE when it comes to boat performance.

What is the difference between riding and cruising? Have any wake to wake 9's been landed during a competition run behind a SANTE? I can think of two riders that did it behind the X-Star last season. (There might be three--but I think Chad's was off the double up.)

For the record--the bow in the X-Star scoops no more or no less than my old X-2. No throttle jockeying required. Point any comp boat into a large wake the wrong way and water will come over the bow. Sorry if when I hear folks talk about water coming over the bow I automatically think hack driver...

As for a loaded 2005 SANTE under $60K--I'm moving to New Zealand! You got a great price.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
we live in idaho mate...
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
idaho? i thought you lived in NZ
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-06-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
I am going to have to go with Whit on this one. I think that the X-Star drives great, and I am not sure about the whole throttle jockeying deal that you are mentioning. Not here to bash other boats at all, but I think that the X-Star is the sweetest boat out there.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
bush,

were from new zealand... have been in the states for almost 15 years. hence nationality is kiwi and state/province is idaho, on profile...

and for the record, no x star bashing here, just talking from personal experience and my opinion. solid boat, fun to hang out in and historical performer, just not my cup of tea. that is why we went with the smaller, more agile and highly efficient sante. we had a tige 22v before that and that boat was just a little big for our tastes and gas card. we tried the x star a couple of different times and ultimately it was the wife's call for the sante, she was more comfortable driving and towing her...

end of rant.

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
I'm sorry but the first W2W 9 ever landed in competition was by a guy named Steve Edwards & it was done three years ago behind a SAN.

Opinions, like a-holes we all got one...
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
Ryan,
I never looked at the state, just saw the NZ. if you need someone to go out and supervise your twins while they're taking the SAN out let me know, I'll be more than happy to.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
you wouldn't believe how many "perfect gentleman" have offered to do just that since i have posted their pic?
unfortunately, your last name took you out of contention right off the bat... we know what's on your mind!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
what's wrong with my last name, anyway if you and/or your family are ever in my neck of the woods give me a hola and I'll take you guys out for the day.
Ryan
Old     (x_star05)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-06-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
ditto... I live in baltimore maryland
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-06-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Ok. heres my opinion. The x-star is a great, boat in all aspects, but the price is high I admit that. But like mike said it not the same nor can be compared to the CC lins of boats. Different size, wider beam, just a plain bigger boat. As far as the nose dipping, throttle jockey issue, all heavy weighted boats usually have the same deal, run from the wake on the stern when slowing and watch the nose when going over your own rollers. Thats just characteristics of heavy weighted boats. I have ridden behind all the big names, and love all of them(props to Geoff, Clubmyke, TSO, Buzz, EdoubleU, Big Ed, Derek, Jason, Dave Williams,). There all great wakes,great boats, just a little different from boat to boat. Demo, demo, demo, thats my best reccomendation.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 7:26 PM Reply   
good call!

demo, demo, demo...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
Kevin ~ With all do respect...You might have been behind my boat but....not really,not weighted big Ed style.J\K

Yup that is the thing to do!

DEMO
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-06-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Ed--I loved the wake that day behind your X-2, so I am really looking foward to it the next time.. weighted big ed style..
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-07-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
Have any wake to wake 9's been landed during a competition run behind a SANTE?

what does that have to do with anything?

Every boat has good and bad, to the user. First determine what's important to you, then demo, then pick the boat that satisfies the majority of your important needs. Taking someone else's advice on what boat to buy, is a mistake.

I've ridden behind and in everything, and driven almost everything. One aspect of a boat that I don't experience is price. I could tell you what boat I like best, but I think they're all sick, when weighted right.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-09-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
Kevin ~ I know you know that I was kidding and the wake your x-star throws is one of the SIIICKEST...so it's hard for me to expect for you to be impressed with my x-2.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 09, 2005)