Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    jsalem            02-04-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
Any one out there using a Boss tower? If so what do you think about them? Looking for feedback good or bad. I'm thinking of getting there Finn tower new for '03. It looks plain and simple. I have no idea if it works very well or not.
Old    trigx5            02-04-2003, 4:40 PM Reply   
I am also considering a boss tower. I am stuck between 3 towers. The boss billet, phat budde twister and the zero flex flyer. Any info would be helpful. Also, did any of you reinforce your fiber glass where the mounting points of the tower are?
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-04-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Boss towers are some of, if not the best aftermarket tower out there in my opinion. Check my profile. That's a Boss Custom Swoop tower on a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205. I installed it myself and it was definitely worth the money!!! Highly recommended!
Old    charlie            02-04-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
I have a boss tower on mine also. pretty solid. Kinda pricey but I like the mounts better. The whole thing can be removed in a matter of seconds, but when installed you can sit on top of it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the dudes up in Sacramento where they make them really aren't particularly interisted in good customer relations. Trying to get them to take care of business was a chore.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
The dudes in Sacramento (Rancho Cordova) only make top of the line towers. The Boss Custom Swoop is our top selling product at Wakeside. For Nautiques, the Belmont tower looks better. The new Boss Billet tower that is available today was custom manufactured to fit on late model Malibu. However, there will a new Custom Billet tower coming out soon that will fit any boat - no pictures yet. I would stay away from the Macho Finn tower. We are not offering that tower.

Most boats don't need the fiberglass to be reinforced but there may be exceptions. Proper installation is really the key.

Boss towers are not low priced, but they are worth the difference. You can tell the quality when you look at their mounts and all of their welds are invisible when they get done.

Lastly, you will get much better customer service if you deal with Wakeside since Boss is not set up to do retail. Charlie that is why you had problems with customer relations - they simply are set up to manufacture and distribute a great tower, but not retail sales.

http://www.wakeside.com/miva/merchant.mv?page=W/PROD//boss_custom_swoop

Mike,
Wakeside.com
Old    charlie            02-04-2003, 11:00 PM Reply   
Mike. I did purchase my tower through my dealer. It was suppose to be shipped down and installed. It was 3 weeks late, and my dealer found out it was conveniently "lost" to another person who just happened to pick it up directly from Boss and paid cash. Boss even admitted to my dealer that they sold it out from under me, but then again mine was prepaid. Yes, this is what happened. My dealer went to bat for me bigtime, but in order to get the tower and be on vacation on time I had to take time off work to go get it because they were too darn busy to deliver. They also put the bimini on off center and it took me two months for them to send down to my dealer two pieces of chrome tube so the final fix could be made properly. Yes, the tower is good, but quite frankly, I won't do business with them again because of this. If it weren't for my dealer doing constant battle with them over it, I feel certain I would be out the money and never see the tower. And you know the owner up there at Boss talked to me and never even said "oops" or "sorry". All he would say was.. "things like this happen, I'll make you another one". So, live and learn. Three cheers for my dealer, if it weren't for him this would not have been resolved. Just wanted to clear the air on the customer service issue, and why I said that in my opinion, Boss isn't interisted in good customer relations.
Old    jsalem            02-05-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
Mike: Why should I stay away from the Macho Finn tower?

Charlie: Besides the customer service how is the performance and strength of your tower?
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
check my post under new family vessel on the other board. wakeboarding discussion i have pics of the new tower
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-05-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/51427.html?1043966454 try this
Old    charlie            02-05-2003, 7:44 PM Reply   
Jeff, I have the pro series tower, and the tower strength is fine. there is zero flex fore or aft, and very little movement side to side, (maybe about an inch or two max). Its was mounted with backing plates by the manufacturer. Boat drives the same with it installed or removed, and when installed there is no visibility issues or drivability issues even when pulling 285 lb wakeboarders (football linebacker friends). Rope mount is easy to access. Pipe diameter is standard for non-Boss accessories. Entire tower is very light in weight. Hope this info is what you were looking for. have fun.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-06-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
Jeff, I would personally go with the Boss Billet or the Boss Custom Swoop. Overall the Boss towers are manufactured very well. They put a lot time and R/D into their products. Plus all the accessories that you can get to put on the towers fit pefectly with their clamps.
Old    jsalem            02-06-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Sounds like Boss is a well liked tower. Still didn't here back from Mike on why to stay away from the Finn tower. Sounds like all the Boss tower models are good. PJ your set up is awesome, nice looking ride! A little out of my price range. I think I'll go with the Boss Swoop.
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-06-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
Charlie. Sorry to hear about your experience. Good thing your dealer worked hard for you to get the situation taken care of. We are the largest Boss Internet dealer and we have not had problems like this. Boss has consistently taken care of us and our customers.

Jeff - I have seen the Macho Finn tower and I don't like the way it looks or collapses. In short, I think they have more work to do on this one before we will add it in. If you can afford it - stretch to the Boss Custom Swoop, otherwise go with the Pro Series. The Billet tower is only available for Malibu at this time but they will offer a Custom Billet soon.