Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-14-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
got some speaker rings for the interior of the boat, and my question is, should the rings sit flush to the speaker itself? Or should it extend pass the speaker? want to make sure I was sent the right size before I install.

Thanks

I've looked at other threads and it looked like they extended pass the speaker, but I couldn't tell if it was just the light or the acrylic. these are the ones I got

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-15-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
some sit flush and others extend past the speaker.Think it just depends on where you bought them
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-15-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
Since these rings are mainly done custom in the aftermarket world, it would be up to the fabricator that designed them. Some speaker locations will allow for a trim ring that would extend past he Dia of the speaker and some wont. So if the fabricator is making the rings larger then the diameter of the speaker, he's assuming there is room for the ring in every install location.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
It all depends on what you prefer. Some use light rings with an O.D. that matches the speaker grill. Most 6.5" coaxials have a 6.875" to 6.945" grill diameter and most light light rings are 7" so you can have up to a 1/16" maximum overhang by the ring. If that is the case you can put a fine sanding radius on the outside face edge of the ring. The fine bevel won't give your eye anything to focus on, not that a 1/32" to 1/16" overhang would be a cosmetic distraction anyway. Some purposely use an over-sized ring with a face bevel so that more light is exposed from the front. On our rings we list all the I.D. and O.D. dimensions so that you know exactly what you are getting in advance. All you have to do is measure your particular speaker basket size, grill diameter and the flat mounting surface before ordering. There is no guessing involved.

David
Earmark Marine