Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (industrialblue)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-10-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Just wondering what you all think is a good, inexpensive device for shooting digital video from the boat? We've been using a basic digital camera from a few years ago, and it's alright, but things look grainy when you zoom in. I know the technology is always evolving, but what do YOU use that you swear by and is currently available? Trying to keep it under $200, and an added plus would be native avi or mpg format, but not required. I'm talking about the passengers shooting from 85 ft. here... not getting out on a tube doing closeups! Thanks.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-10-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
this may be outta your budget but it makes amazing videos and is hugely versatile http://gizmodo.com/383843/casio-exilim-ex+f1-slow+mo-super-cam-full-review-verdict-totally-unique-shockingly-powerful

if you get it 2nd hand maybe u could find it within your budget

we have a few of these used by our crew now and have made some pretty decent vids

heres the latest
Old     (lurker)      Join Date: May 2009       06-11-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
MB, do want to go SD or HD? In that price range you're really looking at SD. I'd recommend checking out the Canon ZR series. They are good little cameras. The ZR960 has a 37x optical zoom. I also like Panasonic camera's. Check out the GS90. It's comparable to the ZR960.

If you want to get into HD. Definitely check out the Canon HV20/30/40. I have a 30 as well as a Canon XH A1 and the HV30 footage is comparable to the A1 in good lighting. The HV would be a bit more expensive especially the 40 since it's the newest. You might be able to find a deal (new or used) on the 20 or 30.

All the cameras I mentioned are MiniDV. I prefer MiniDV until you get up into the solid state memory of real high end prosumer cameras like the EX-1/HVX,HPX etc. Definitely steer clear of any cameras that record to DVD. I hope that helps a bit. Peace
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-11-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
I have an HV40 and I love it, it is really easy to use and the picture quality is great, I got it for around $999
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
I have the Canon HV20 and it a pretty solid package with good video quality for what I use it for. I'm fixing to start trying to do a little editing with it and movie maker (because that is all I have right now). I have read where some people have had problems transferring video from the HV20 to the computer using the HDV (firewire, IEEE) cable. Have any of you guys experienced any transfer issues and is there a particular IEEE cable I should be getting? Sorry for the hijack.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-11-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
yeah, not big on the casio....my theory is once you get into the point of having 4 digits in your price tag. You might as well go all out and get a Sony EX1. $6,000 never hurt so good before. LOL!
Old     (lurker)      Join Date: May 2009       06-12-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Wakemania, you'll be good with any firewire cable. Just make sure the one you get has the correct number of pins. I use a 4 pin to 4 pin cable which would most likely be the same in your case. But double check your computers firewire port before you buy a cable. I've captured from a bunch of different cameras including an HV30 and have never had a problem.

Yeah Nate, EX1's are so sick. Sony definitely got that camera right.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-12-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dudes <<trying>> Hello why are you posting professional setups??
Old     (lurker)      Join Date: May 2009       06-12-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'm not recommending any professional cameras. If you read my original post, I recommended the Canon ZR960 and Panasonic GS90 which are exactly in his stated price range. The HV isn't professional. Yes it's more expensive but he could find a used one for not too much more. I got mine new for $550.