Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-04-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
Can someone tell me if the recommended tire pressure for a boat trailer is with the boat on it? I assume that it is. I shouldn't set the pressure without the boat on it, right?? How can I inflate the tires to the correct pressure BEFORE I load my boat back on it??
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-04-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
Look at the sidewall of the tire for the inflation pressure. Without the boat on the trailer, i'd just fill em up to about 5-8psi less than the max. Then check it once you load the boat.

DKJ
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
Like Derek said, the only way to know for sure is read the tiny print in the sidewall of the tire.

The most common tire pressure for a passenger car tire is 32 PSI. But your trailer could be using tires that have a higher load rating and thus require higher air pressure. For example, the tires on my camping trailer require 45 PSI.

Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Your trailer should have a capacity plate on it up near the surge assembly that states recommended tire pressure for its load rating. Pretty much the same deal as your car.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-04-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
most tires are filled to capacity rated on side wall when cold not hot or warm.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
HA HA you guy's crack me up! I worked for Discount Tire. 32 psi is not a common tire pressure. Each vehicle has a sticker on the inside of the door or glove box with the specific tire pressure. DKJ said it best 5-8 below max. Most boat trailers have a load range C tire which is 50 psi max. Check air pressure when tires are cold. You do not need to take the boat of the trailer. To much air and tires wear in the center not enough air and they wear on both edges. Rotate and balance tires every 5'000-6'000 miles.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-04-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
"Rotate and balance tires every 5'000-6'000 miles"
you dont have to rotate and balance trailer tires.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Most new trailer tires are radials now. No you don't have to rotate and balance but it helps ensure the tires ride smooth and don't get a choppy wear. Tire manufactures recomend replacing tires if they are over five years old so check you're dot# ( 2505) that is the 25th week of 2005. You look at the last 4 # of the dot.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Aaron, what about the tires that have been replaced w/ non-oem tires? The psi rating may not be the same as the rating from the auto manufacturer. You should go by what the tire says in small print. }
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
Interesting, Jory. That's not what Goodyear (or any other tire manufacturer) says to do. The psi range listed on the sidewall is the MAX you should inflate your tires to and not necessarily what your vehicle is designed to use. You'll find the same info on the other major tire manufacturer sites.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Inflation.html
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
hmmm. Stupid moment of the day. Sorry!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
Jory
no ? is a stupid ? You would be surprised at how many people are misled about tire information.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
Just another thought... Lets say you put a 44lb tire on what had a 32lb tire. You still use the factory specs?

(Message edited by carcrz on May 05, 2006)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-05-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
So many things that vary. 44 max psi on a tire is normaly xl load range. these are the most common load range in order standard,xl,c,d,e. In you're reference above you would still use factory specs. It would be a firmer ride.
Old    screws            05-05-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
I run about 45 psi in my 50 psi-max bias ply tires. The pressure does not change from loaded to unloaded which I just proved yesterday when I dropped my boat down off the winter storage blocks. In general I run all my vehicles tire pressures at just under max. Better wear, better mileage, sometimes rougher ride.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
That's what I do too Steve. I had never heard to use the auto manufacturer's specs before w/ exception to the oem tires.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-05-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
As others said, read the recommendation on the tires. I run mine @ 45 psi cold.