Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    wakbrdr            06-12-2003, 5:43 AM Reply   
Anyone have any good ideas on keeping the platform looking wet even when it is dry??? I have sanded mine with fine grit sandpaper, used the cleaner you buy with the teak oil and then put several coats of the teak oil on it. It has been in the water 4 times since I did all this and it has faded out already. Any help???
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 5:59 AM Reply   
It may be the type of teak oil you're using.
Some Teak Oils I've used in the past haven't worked well.
I use StarBrite Teak Oil Sealer. It works better and lasts longer.
www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=72427&categoryId=322&s ubdeptNum=11204&storeNum=4&classNum=322
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Meguiar's #46 Gold Teak Oil. Everytime you put your boat away. Takes 2 minutes with a waxing pad.
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Brent-
If you use good teak oil (Amazon's Golden Teak Oil or Cetol Marine Oil) you shouldn't have to refinish your platform all season. If your platform is in really bad shape, you need to make sure it is completely clean, sanded like you did, and absolutely dry. You should go to www.Malibuboatowners.com and do a search for swim platforms or teak, they have great articles on preparation of your platform and application of the finish.
Old    dukekati            06-12-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
I was under the impression you use a cleaner and then oil, not sealer. Anybody know for sure?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Maybe Phaeton will chime in, he had the nicest looking teak swim step I have ever seen!

I went the easy route, put the teak one away. Picked up a new Rhino lined one and carpeted it with marine carpet. Works great, no hassles, is very comfortible to sit on and does not leave any marks on the boards.
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
Most oil manufacturer's that Ive looked at manufacture a cleaner as well, basically as a preparation step - is probably necessary if your platform is in bad shape, probably not so necessary if your platform is newer