Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       10-13-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 V215 with a torsion type trailer. Who makes this trailer? Is is possible to increase the ground clearance of the trailer by adjusting the splines on the torsion arms? I have trouble with the trailer dragging with 750lbs of lead in it? Also do you know the load capacity of the trailer?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
It might be a Sport Boat trailer. Most torsion bar suspensions can be adjusted by preloading the bars more. I have not done it on my trailer and have not really looked at it but a good trailer shop should be able to tell you. You can also change the bars for stiffer ones if you find the right size. I have increased the preload on torsion bar automobile suspensions.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
It probably is a Sport Boat trailer and if so good luck with it. My buddy has a '05 V215 on the SB trailer and it has cracked multiple times at the rear. IN fact one of the bunk supports literally fell into the trailer channel after the support weld gave away almost causing him to loose control of the truck! He's so disgusted with it now he's going to buy a new trailer i think. Neither the dealer, Sanger or Sport Boats will do anything about it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
If it is an SBT, it should say so somewhere. I had an SBT with my Malibu and it was great.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-13-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
That's a warning sign that your trailer is probably over loaded $.02. There should be a sticker on the inside of the trailer frame that states the what the trailer is capable of hauling. Take your boats' dry weight and add the 750#'s + gear, fuel, accessories, etc, and see what it comes to.
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-13-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
i dont have the pics anymore, but we have a sport boat trailer and 5 out of the 8 welds were cracked and one fell completely through. long story short we took it to the dealer and they fixed it for no charge after talking to the trailer mfg. company
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-13-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Unfortunately I have to add to this post too. The trailer for my '05 had a bunk support punch through the box tubing. I called Sanger and SBT and they sent me a new bracket, along with paint, that I welded on. I have been keeping a watchful eye on the others.
Old    stillstandin            10-13-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
FWIW, I have the same trailer on my 05 V215, 4 of the welds have fallen into the boat, and its never overloaded. Luckily, I have a friend who is awesome with a welder...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
wow!
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       10-14-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
I have already had the trailer bunks break. They also pushed through the box tubing, just on the back bunks though. SBT said they would pay for the cost to repair it. I will let you know how that goes. I did find out that you can rotate the torsion bars (the knuckles) so you can gain ground clearance. I was told by SBT that the trailer is rated at 5500 lbs. Which to me says I should be fine with 500lbs of lead hidden in the boat at all times. That is using TigeMikes formula. Without you guys I would have not gotten in touch with those guys with out having my trailer in front of me, so thank you.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I have the same issue with a boat in my shop as we speak. A Sanger V215 with a SBT and 4 of the bunk support welds have broken thru the box frame of the trailer. I wonder how many of these there are?????????????
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-14-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
How many of you guys tow on I580? Several people that I know have had welds crack on trailers from towing on this interstate. The expansion joints in the concrete can cause the trailer to bounce in a rhythm and cause all sorts of problems. By the way all the people I know that have cracked welds (about 10) do not own SBT trailers.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-15-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
I think there is a misperception of this problem. This is a serious stuctural issue with the trailer that could cause significant problems if not addressed. The support for the bunk is butt welded on top of the box frame tube and the tube structure has failed leaving no support for the bunk and hence no support for the boat hull. This forces the remaing welded steel brackets take up the load. As the brackets fail in turn the problem becomes worse.

If you know someone with a SBT tell them to inspect their trailer or have it inspected by shop.

We have contacted SBT and they told us to tell the customer to return with the trailer and they will take care of it.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-15-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
100% correct Topside. This happened to my buddies over a year ago and SBT took a month to fix it the exact same way! And they claimed they had never seen this happened before. So now he's taking it back again for repairs after calling them yesterday. I've never seen a bunk support done this way without additional support so it's no wonder they fail. I hope they do it differently this time.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-16-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I can verify Topside's story, as the boat in his shop is mine.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-16-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Here is a photo Upload
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-16-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
that is exactly what happened to our trailer. and about 5 more were ready to do the same. took it to the dealer and they welded a plate over the hole and then rewelded the bunk support on top of that. its much beefier now and doesnt look like we will be having the same issue again.
Old    mendo247            10-17-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Wholy chit! Maybe I should check out my trailer hahaha

So I guess 1500 pounds of lead on a 13 mile dirt road might be a bad idea lol
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-17-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
chinese steel?...has melamine in it?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       10-17-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
You gotta love that pic? That is how my trailer failed too. Did they have the intern come up with that design? What a stupid mistake for a company that has been building trailers for years. I can't believe that in todays world a company would make such a dumb mistake!

I did call the SBT and asked them if I could rotate the arms that hold the wheels on. I am trying to get more height out of the trailer so I don't drag so much. They said go right ahead just be sure that all the arms in the same spline location. I hope that makes sense to you guys.

Anyone here reprop their V215. I was thinking of going with an ACME 911!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-17-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Dave, I have the 911 on my 230 and it does great running about 2500# total. I believe Coop put one on his 215 also.
Old     (barthold)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Sound like a common problem. SBT acted like I was the only one.
Upload