Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
I just picked up an 07 Yamaha R6, for pretty cheap. It was laid down on its right side, so I've already ordered all new right side fairings for it. (And yes, I double and triple checked over it to make sure there was no frame damage, its purely cosmetic). So thats the background on the bike.

My question is on how to fix the headlights. I know most of the mechanical stuff, but I am NO good with electrical systems, aside from your typical "check the fuse" kinda stuff. At first, the only thing that worked were the turn signals. I popped the fuse box and low and behold the "head" fuse was blown....replaced it and good to go right? Wrong. It fixed the taillight/brakelight so that it now works correctly, but neither of the headlights turn on. The front "running light" that's at the base of the windscreen (little 2" triangular light) turned on as soon as the fuse was replaced as well. When I turn the key the Hi Beam indicator light will not illuminate either, but the rest of the display lights work. So is this a wiring harness issue, or a relay issue, or something else? I don't even really know where to start with this. If any of you guys have ideas, it's much appreciated! Thanks

Edit: Also, the right side front turn signal plug is removed, as the unit is busted so I took it out and ordered a new one....that shouldnt interrupt the circuit though should it?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Ewwwww. Evan is going to be better at this one than me. I'm not good with electrical at all!

Congrats though! Doesn't sound like anything too serious to me.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Ewwwww. Evan is going to be better at this one than me. I'm not good with electrical at all!

Congrats though! Doesn't sound like anything too serious to me.
"Ewww" is about my mentality too! When it comes to circuits and electrical systems, anyway. Thanks...I took it for a short ride and man is it a quick machine. One can easily hurt themself if they don't know their limits on these bikes. Definitely a jump up from dirtbikes. I'm hoping to pick up a track bike in a year or two and get into the racing side of sportbikes, but thats a little ways out still.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
Sweet man... Have fun with it. Without a wiring diagram in front of me it's hard to say, but I would venture to say that you've got a relay problem. You'll have to get a diagram. If you can find something and post it I can take a look and tell you where to look for power and signal to get it dialed in. Shouldn't be too tough. You're right.... It's likely not related to the turn signal issue.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-04-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Good deal. Here's the entire service manual actually... http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/p...R6_Service.pdf

The bikes wiring diagram is on the very last page, and on the PDF page 412 (book page 8-89), there's more info about relays. Also, pdf pages 340 and 402 (8-17 and 8-79) have a circuit diagram for just the lighting system. Looking at 8-79, it shows the "Headlight on/off" relay located on the right side, which is the side the bike went down on. That's going to be the first thing I check out when I get home tonight, hopefully its that! Thanks for your help Evan
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-05-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   

Fixed em. you guys are gonna love this one. So I must've spent an hour sitting in my garage Tuesday nightchecking harnesses and all that, trying to figure out why replacing the fuse would only fix the taillights and not the headlights. I'd fiddle with something, turn the key to "on", no headlights, and be pissed. So yesterday I get on my bike to drive it to the shop, started it up, and the headlights came on. For some reason when I was trying to fix it, I thought the headlights came on just when the key was in the "on" position....so I never once started the bike when I was troubleshooting it. I feel beyond stupid.....just one of those weeks I guess. Anyway, problem's fixed!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
buwhahahahahaha.. that's excellent..

congrats on the pick up.. a lot of value in something that was low sided with cosmetics only.. Enjoy it - respect it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
Now you just need to Drop a tooth in the front front sprocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-05-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Now you just need to Drop a tooth in the front front sprocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Yeah I was just gonna ask what you guys think. I mean I topped it out....I'm not looking for high speed, although i do 150 on occasion, 100 is normal. I need more torque for wheelies. Also. what do you guys recommend for sandals while riding, I've got my backwards flat brim to wear while I ride already but I just dont know which sandals will work best for riding. help.

Lets not start that fiasco again, hahah. One of those threads is enough. Thanks Jeff, and yeah I respect these things 100%, I know what they can do. It's scary what can happen if they're not respected (see other thread). I bought the bike as a commuter for work and to have a little fun on the twisting roads that are oh-so-common out by where I live. I'm not one to wide-open-throttle through the gears in a straightline down the highway while weaving in and out of traffic. I'll leave that for the track when I finally get a track bike. While we're at it, here's a picture of the new toy. pic is from seller's ad, I'll be taking better ones once i've got it shined up.

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
I would go with the Reef Sandals with the bottle opener. that way when you stop at the bar to drink a lot, you have an opener right with you!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
hahaha lol
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha... You guys are killing me. Ben, glad you got it all figured out. I've been super busy and didn't have a chance to look at the schematic yet. Looks like you saved me the effort.

FWIW The new sport bikes are awesome at everything. My gsx-r is even pretty comfortable, and hey.... You''ve got a track bike. Just ride within your means and you'll be able to take it home all nice and shiny. If you crash it, claim it on your insurance and really build it into a track bike. Did I say that? Er um..... Ha, ha, ha.

Take care, ride safe. Enjoy.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
"I'll leave that for the track when I finally get a track bike."

Pssssst...( whispering in your ear) You didn't buy a commuter, you bought a track bike.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-05-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
"I'll leave that for the track when I finally get a track bike."

Pssssst...( whispering in your ear) You didn't buy a commuter, you bought a track bike.
Hahaha i know, I know. I know i bought a "track bike", but I want a track bike, one I wont have to worry about laying down. I baby my stuff too much to let my daily bike get possibly wrecked at the track. Most likely when I decide to start doing track days regularly, this will be come both a daily bike and a track bike, until I lay it down real nice. Then it'll be solely a track bike and I'll pick up another one to drive daily. ya know? Man, I just can't win with you guys!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-07-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
Ben,

Congrats on the new bike. I have 2 identical ones in my garage. Just got done putting new batteries in both of them. My GF's has 5000 miles, mine has 32,000.

I am looking at finally replacing the chain and sprockets for the first time. Making a lot of noise. Just waiting for it to come flying off. Looking at the 520 conversion. I am going down one on the front, but keeping the back the same. I do a lot of freeway riding, and changing out the rear to a larger would just be too much for my 90 mile/RT commute. Definately a fun bike. If I could afford another bike (I dream of maybe a Ducati, or even the new BMW S1000RR), I would love to make my R6 into a dedicated track bike someday.

Ha! That thread earlier really opens everyone's eyes as to how some of these squirrels have a death wish. Amazing where some of these guys are in their head.

Funny, when I first read your post today, I was going to mention the headlight thing. Glad you got it figured out.

Have fun with the new ride, and be safe!

PS - I wear Reefs!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-09-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
Buzz... don't let that chain break on you. If it takes out the engine case it'll suck.

Reefs with bottle opener's is the only way to go. (Side note.... I was actually riding my bike in reefs the other night. The bottle openers suck on the pegs. No bueno. And no.... I didn't even leave my street just cruised a couple times up/back after I did some work.... I know... Safety first).
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-09-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
+1 on the reef bottle openers, I own a pair as well. I can't imagine riding with them, though! On Sunday my buddy was following me in his car while I was on my bike, and we were going to his house. His mom's deathly afraid of him buying a street bike (she wasnt a fan when he got a dirtbike either), so we swapped and had him ride my bike with my helmet n backpack just down his driveway so it looked like he'd been riding it all day. In that 500 feet he managed to scrape his ankle on the rearset and cut his toe on the gearshift......what was he wearing? reef sandals. Made me think of this thread.

And yeah Buzz, that chain breaks and it could wreak havoc. Guy here at work was just telling me last week about how when he was younger he was goin 70 down the highway and his chain broke, wrapped around the rear sprocket, locked up his tire and just absolutely threw the bike on its side immediately, and slid him into the ditch. He luckily had only minor injuries, but definitely a dangerous situation.