Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (boardstyle)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-06-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
Mabye someone could help me out, how difficult is it to repaint the hull of a boat?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-06-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
I would not recommend it unless your boat is VERY old. It is hard to get paint to stick to gel coat long term, I've seen a lot of blistering and flaking of painted boats. If you think dry gel looks bad wait till you see peeling paint. If you want to update the look of your boat look into wraps, custom decals or tons of wet sanding and buffing.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-06-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I used some hull paint on my old boat and it works for about a season, and now I have some areas that need to be retouched. I am thinking about a solid color wrap for under the rub rail.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-06-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
I will find out what my friend used,but I know u can use aircraft paint.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
it is not that difficult to paint the hull of a boat.You just have to use the right paint systems.If the paint is blistering or flaking like mr king said the painter screwed up.
I,ve painted many skiboats even brand new ones(because of sponsor deals)there is no wet sanding involved and no buffing at least for the first months,,you are just damaging the top coat on fresh paints with buffing.look at inter paints (international marine paints)if you want to paint your boat.start with sanding your boat with a 180 grit,,aply 2 pre coats with a foam roller,sand it smooth again with 320 grit then aply a finish coat with a roller and brush sand it back with a 400/500 grit and aply the last finishing coat.it takes some practice to get a nice glossy finish(like it has been sprayed)
and there are some more issues like the right amount of thinner at the right temperature.Anyway it can be done.another option is a new gelcoat layer or a wrap...but diy paintjob would be the cheapest,you might could some help from a professional for the last finishing layer.
see pic for a roller brush finish
good luck
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
Upload
forgot the pic